Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the Lions fans were quiet, I just think the Blues fans were loud, especially when they were up and about early, and we rarely hear that kind of noise from opposition fans at the Gabba. Good on 'em, but now they can **** off back to Melbourne.

I said it in the game day thread but they really need to change the allocation for finals (except GF). Even split of tickets defeats the home ground advantage.

I don't think the Lions fans were quiet, I just think the Blues fans were loud, especially when they were up and about early, and we rarely hear that kind of noise from opposition fans at the Gabba. Good on 'em, but now they can **** off back to Melbourne.

I said it in the game day thread but they really need to change the allocation for finals (except GF). Even split of tickets defeats the home ground advantage.

No - home ground isn't all about fans. Players are more comfortable at home. And travel negatively impacts recovery.

Watching on the telly with Fox all they showed in the first quarter was Fev's fat face. Didn't see it again after half way through the second quarter - loved it.

Fox Sports player ratings are worse then the commentary. Whoever comes up with the ratings clearly have no idea.

We've got key players that for whatever reason the umps have targeted as playing for free kicks and they get a raw deal every week.

Charlie gets scragged in contest after contest. There were 2 occasions yesterday that anyone bar Daniher would've got an instant free. I've seen the Bailey is ducking one pulled out a few times . And Zorko is Zorko so you just don't give him anything.
I’m not sure if this would help but I’ve noticed that Lions players jumpers look loose / baggy compared to most other clubs which probably assists with scragging but in saying that, if the McKay free kick with the Lion player barely impeding or having their arm around his waist is paid, then surely Joe and Charlie should be paid half a dozen a game.

Back to the jumpers but I notice that all Swans and Hawks players have super tight, bordering on a size too small jumpers which I’d have though reduces the likelihood of being held or in the very least makes it harder to tackle - probably one of the one percenter type things.

Watching the replay and the umpire says Bailiey leant into the high tackle! Jog off.
Yeah who’d have thought when you’re running full pelt like he was. You know what though, even if he did, which he didn’t, since when can you just rip a guys head off and not get penalised? And of course moments later the VFL ump paid one to Martin not more than 5 minutes later which was nowhere near as severe as Bails.

We've just made a grand final, the single most unifying thing that can happen with a footy club, and you've decided to say this?

Even if it were true, and it's clearly not, it is s**t timing and a s**t attitude.

Now that the dust has settled and the adrenaline has subsided, I can perhaps articulate this point in a more delicate way.

My first venture to the Gabba was in Round 23 last year when we got pumped by the Dees. It was difficult to get a true sense of the passion and enthusiasm of our home fans given the game was over at quarter time.

I acknowledge the Blues supporters were up and about for their first prelim in 23 years and they did get a good run on early. They also had a questionable allocation of tickets which was a topical issue pre-game. At times though, it just felt our crowd (or my section at least) didn't make anywhere near enough noise to at least draw level with the Blues fans, given my experience of supporting the team in Melbourne.

Being a Melbourne based supporter, there is definitely an underdog energy and that we are there to fight the good fight in enemy territory. Perhaps that's why I've noticed a more "passionate" following given it can feel like it's us against the world.

There is clearly something different in the cultures of each respective supporter bases which was obvious to me last night. Perhaps it was unique to the section I was sitting in (there were more corporate types/influencers afterall) when combined with the abovementioned factors, it resulted in a supporter experience which I considered underwhelming.

I'm not a Fitzroy or Bears fan - I'm a Lions supporter. I respect and acknowledge both sides of our club's shared history and I am equally proud of both stories. My comments last night, although abrasive and perhaps a dampener on a great night for our club, are true from my lived experience and are quite valid.

Afterall, my comments are just a generalised statement and I don't mean to disparage all Brissy based Lions supporters.

I love Queenslanders, our loyal home fans and I love this state. Last night was the happiest football moment I've experienced in the flesh. The jubilation I experienced with those local Lions fans around me will be something I never forget.

For what it's worth, the lamb and gravy rolls at the Pineapple for $15 are reason enough to get around you banana benders.

Go Lions.

Im sure I saw Martin Pike in the crowd last night, may have been a lookalike.

That made me angry. I’ll preface by saying I think it did actually hit his hair, because Acres instantly said it did and didn’t try and claim he’d touched it with his hands (which were also close).

BUT you couldn’t see s**t on the replay, certainly not enough to overturn it.
Yeah they really had to comb through the replays to find anything definitive.

Don’t think there’s any conspiracy with the camera work, the opposition fans were allocated the sections from just to the right of the interchange around to the school end goals - was the same for the port final. Just so happens that the cameras are mostly on the other side, so of course it would’ve looked like there were more blues supporters than there were.

The side the cameras was on was all lions fans, all the way around the Ipswich road end to the interchange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching the NEAFL game the day after our last loss to collingwood early in 2019, being a bit depressed about things - but quickly being cheered up by our 18 year old overage academy player being one of the best players on the ground. Frankly I was sad that he wasn't on the list and couldn't get a game the next week as he was that good.

So so happy for Kiddy that he'll get some recognition for his brilliant performance. I don't understand why he was made the sub against the hawks but that loss straightened us up and led to the current small defender trio/quartet and I'm thankful for that.

Easy to forget that Berry, Coleman and Bailey were all down on form in the first half of the year with plenty wanting them dropped. Berry and Coleman were two of our best last night and Bailey has been much more consistent and impactful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My phallus is rock hard but my scrotum is empty, what a feeling, Granny time babay!!!
It's comments like this that make me miss my visits to big footy now that I've taken a step back. Never change TG.

There is clearly something different in the cultures of each respective supporter bases which was obvious to me last night. Perhaps it was unique to the section I was sitting in (there were more corporate types/influencers afterall) when combined with the abovementioned factors, it resulted in a supporter experience which I considered underwhelming.

It sounds like very much unique to your section and your interpretation of how people are supposed to behave as fans. The noise and excitement in my section of Lions fans and the sections of others I knew who attended was clearly very different to what you experienced. Some Carlton people from Melbourne I talked to afterwards said the atmosphere was much more intense then they expected.

I don’t know too many who are underwhelmed when their team comes from thirty points down to win a prelim at a sold out stadium. Each to their own.

Back