Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the backline that held up so well in that first quarter against an avalanche of Carlton I50s. That full pace over his head gather by Andrews and then somehow keeping his feet to steam out of the backline was a sight to behold. As said, he was Atlus holding up the whole team, arms out stopping the dam from breaking. Inspirational stuff.

It took us 1 quarter to get back to speed of the finals after having the week off, and from there on we dominated. In the first quarter our entire structure broke down, but we bounces back and went hard for the ball and really lifted our intensity. That second quarter though where we just got the ball locked into our forward half, and McKenna and Lester to both kick those two ripping goals just released the pressure that had been piled on the forwards.

I think it was something like 50-30 I50s after quarter time and Carlton's only strategy was kick it to the wing and hope McKay can mark it.

The only player who looked like he had a bad day out there was Cameron. His first shot for goal where both McCluggage and Zorko went over to him and said settle and snap it, and he couldn't decide between which shot to take. He just seemed off, also didn't have his infectious energy when others were kicking goals. Hopefully he can free his mind up a bit for next week, there was a lot of pressure on him to kick a bag this week but I thought Saad did a good job to sacrifice his rebound to nullify him.

Anyone know why the Carlton fans were booing Coleman? Seemed to happen a fair bit even before he got off the chain.

Even though Charlie was down on the night he could have easily still had 3-4 goals.. great sign heading into the GF IMO, expecting Charlie to have a big one Saturday afternoon at the G.
I could have looked into it too much but he was having a laugh with Rayner after the song. Whether it was about his misses or not who knows but its good to see him in a positive mindset about it/after the game. Confident he wont take it into next week.
He put too much pressure on himself last night. Started talking to himself at each set shot which I could be wrong, but ive never seen him do that

Very much a team effort and hard to single out individuals - Andrews immense, Oscar's best game for the year, Dizzy was fantastic - he stays, Kiddy BOG, Zorko + Rayner lifted us in the 2nd, Dev was about our best when we were getting beaten around the ground, Berry was important, Lester better as the game went on.

But.. the most pleasing aspect was the performance from all the guys we have gradually brought into this squad over the years. Our list management team has been elite in identifying talent to take us to this next step. Neale, Dunkley, Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy, McKenna, Lyons all important to varying degrees. Many of them were critical last night as they have been from 12 months - 5 years.

The notion that the Brisbane crowd were quiet goes in direct contrast to what I think most who were there would have experienced. Multiple times people around me got warnings from their smart watches of sustained loud noise up above 95dB.

Rewatching the game, the effects mics did not even come close to reflecting the true loudness at various times. Crowd cameras and mics seemed positioned closer to the Carlton sections. To be honest, for two and a half quarters the Carlton crowd were actually the ones who were embarrassingly quiet from where I was sitting. They sounded like they lost hope and faded very quickly. By the end they barely even roused a cheer at their late goal by Martin.

The Lions song (combined with the long siren) had watches pinging noise warnings for a solid minute.

Grand final baby!!!!

So proud of this group 😍 watching the growth and maturity of them develop over the last few years up the top has been incredible.

Really feel we’re ready to go all the way. This year feels different, steadied and more in control.

Celebrating with the old man last night at a pub in Fitzroy with a big crew, and now we both get to go to our first grand final together!

Carn the Lions! Bring it home!

Ok now we have won we can look back and say, what was that first quarter?
We really should have been ready after seeing the night before and the crazy pressure of the first 10 minutes in particular, of that game.
I don't think we were that bad but in these games if you are 10% off and the other team takes their chances, blink and you're 5 goals down.

Ok now we have won we can look back and say, what was that first quarter?
We really should have been ready after seeing the night before and the crazy pressure of the first 10 minutes in particular, of that game.
I don't think we were that bad but in these games if you are 10% off and the other team takes their chances, blink and you're 5 goals down.
I don't think it'll happen next week.

Hello Lions great win yesterday particularly given Carltons fast start. A couple of thoughts:

I was super impressed by McKenna particularly in the second quarter his rebound and poise was fantastic.

Does Daniher always get such poor support from the umpires? On several occasions it looked like he got flung off the ball in the marking contest but no free.

Hello Lions great win yesterday particularly given Carltons fast start. A couple of thoughts:

I was super impressed by McKenna particularly in the second quarter his rebound and poise was fantastic.

Does Daniher always get such poor support from the umpires? On several occasions it looked like he got flung off the ball in the marking contest but no free.
Does Daniher always get such poor support from the umpires? On several occasions it looked like he got flung off the ball in the marking contest but no free. YES

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with Daniher that he goes the flail/appeals for the free too often that the umpires overlook it a bit. Boy who cried wolf sorta thing

There was definitely one 15 out straight in front where he looked to get completely thrown out of the contest. No replay so not entirely sure, but it looked like it should have been a clear free in real time

Last edited:
Yeah the thing is that even if he did it's still a free kick? He didn't actively duck he just collected the ball.
We've got key players that for whatever reason the umps have targeted as playing for free kicks and they get a raw deal every week.

Charlie gets scragged in contest after contest. There were 2 occasions yesterday that anyone bar Daniher would've got an instant free. I've seen the Bailey is ducking one pulled out a few times . And Zorko is Zorko so you just don't give him anything.

The notion that the Brisbane crowd were quiet goes in direct contrast to what I think most who were there would have experienced. Multiple times people around me got warnings from their smart watches of sustained loud noise up above 95dB.

Rewatching the game, the effects mics did not even come close to reflecting the true loudness at various times. Crowd cameras and mics seemed positioned closer to the Carlton sections. To be honest, for two and a half quarters the Carlton crowd were actually the ones who were embarrassingly quiet from where I was sitting. They sounded like they lost hope and faded very quickly. By the end they barely even roused a cheer at their late goal by Martin.

The Lions song (combined with the long siren) had watches pinging noise warnings for a solid minute.
Its so interesting to hear this and see how it was on TV (I can't wait to fly up for a big game next year to hear it live). Honestly it almost sounded like they switched the ground mics half way through. Carlton was so loud when they were up and about but it seemed to take a long time to swing the other way. There were a few loud lions chants audible early but that's about it. Wasnt really till the second half and moments like Country Roads that it became clear how loud our part of the crowd was

Channel 7 and the AFL are so facetious that you could reasonably make a case that they would have put more mics in and around the Carlton sections for that very reason.

And then I noticed watching the replay after the game in the early hours of the constant crosses of Blues fans in Melbourne.

I mean how many times will they pan to Eddie Maguire and Daicos Dad throughout the game next week? Why that is of interest to anyone is beyond me.

Does Daniher always get such poor support from the umpires? On several occasions it looked like he got flung off the ball in the marking contest but no free. YES
I’ve often wondered if the umpires ever sit down with the afl umpiring honchos to review decisions after each game. You’d think that would help with training and getting a uniform standard across the board.

Every time a "Baggers" sign came up on the the big-screen shots of the Blues cheer squad in the first quarter I was like:
716565.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know why the Carlton fans were booing Coleman? Seemed to happen a fair bit even before he got off the chain.

Carlton fans were booing everything

Back