Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure where else to post this, hopefully will receive an informative answer here.

Just want to know whether the offer contained on a proforma invoice is legally binding, once payment has been received and processed by the vendor?

Details:
- placed an online order for an item May 23
- received a purchase order same day May 23, containing details re method of payment
- I remitted payment in full the following day May 24 (a Sunday) via online bank transfer
- received a proforma invoice May 25, listing the item, the price and the delivery fee
- by May 27, my online account with the vendor showed the payment as 'Processed', complete with a green 'tick' symbol
- the ordered item is a new model and did not arrive in stock with the vendor (or any other vendor) until today
- received a quote today from the vendor for the same item, citing a price 50% greater than the price on the proforma invoice

My (very very limited) understanding is that a proforma invoice represents an offer from the vendor to provide the stated goods at the stated price, and once payment has been received, the vendor is obligated to provide the goods according to the details stated on the proforma invoice.

Am I justified in insisting that the vendor honour the transaction at the original price?

Apologies if the question isn't suitable for this forum.

Not sure where else to post this, hopefully will receive an informative answer here.

Just want to know whether the offer contained on a proforma invoice is legally binding, once payment has been received and processed by the vendor?

Details:
- placed an online order for an item May 23
- received a purchase order same day May 23, containing details re method of payment
- I remitted payment in full the following day May 24 (a Sunday) via online bank transfer
- received a proforma invoice May 25, listing the item, the price and the delivery fee
- by May 27, my online account with the vendor showed the payment as 'Processed', complete with a green 'tick' symbol
- the ordered item is a new model and did not arrive in stock with the vendor (or any other vendor) until today
- received a quote today from the vendor for the same item, citing a price 50% greater than the price on the proforma invoice

My (very very limited) understanding is that a proforma invoice represents an offer from the vendor to provide the stated goods at the stated price, and once payment has been received, the vendor is obligated to provide the goods according to the details stated on the proforma invoice.

Am I justified in insisting that the vendor honour the transaction at the original price?

Apologies if the question isn't suitable for this forum.
Not necessarily stated goods or stated price in the entirety. Very similar to a quote. It's almost like the next step from a quote. A pro forma invoice can be sent once an agreement has been made as it can stipulate slight variations in the final invoice.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back