Public Relations Officer

Remove this Banner Ad

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone know if Freo have one? It seems we are always portrayed as the villain by the media,
AFL, and other clubs have the luck of the green compared to how we are treated.
Is this payback for poaching Lyon? Are Balla, Crowley really dirty players?
The AFL seem intent in adding fuel to the fire with the fans of WA teams, creating an imbalance.

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes from the media because fewer goals are scored in Freo games. Fewer goals means fewer ad breaks, meaning broadcasters receive less money.

Yeah there is, Luke whatshisname Dixie Marshall's boyfriend, former West Australian Newspaper editor/journo

edit - Luke Morfesse

Instead of embracing Freo as a club with increasing revenue potential, premiership contender, we were the only club in the running to play
a final in geelong. Lyon leaving Saints, Harvey knifed. Lyon style of football attacked, Balla and Crowley both play the game within the rules,
yet portrayed as thugs.
We could do with some positive press for a change, Sydney allowed to buy a flag, yet its the blood culture. Power are the new poster boy.

On field we are deemed as rough, dirty & cheap which given our MRP record is hard to argue against, even if some of the incidents are clumsy or harshly dealt with by the MRP. Then there is the defensive style but we score about 1 pt a game less than the greatest offensive team of all time (eye roll) Geelong. We definitely have an edge but it is hyped up a lot more than it should, not too long ago the Hawks were branded unsociable but they have now got a pretty clean reputation. Winning a flag changes perceptions.

However I couldn't be prouder of our boys behaviour off field the last few years, compare it to the WC players whose tweets on AA night about McKenzie/Priddis were petty & childish and some last night were vindictive and small minded. Or Brock McLean carrying on about getting AIDS from someone's mum. The way Pav speaks leaves me proud every interview, Ross is wonderful as well, Fyfe has shown impressive leadership off field as well. Our players on social media don't get carried away with silly comments and that comes from Ross ruling with an iron fist, sure you don't get as much humour or stories but i'd rather we be respectful of opponents and people in general.

I agree with the OP. Seems Freo are cast as villains in the media and are adjudicated accordingly.

Crowley is not a thug, just a determined single-minded player, yet the 50/50 frees are ALWAYS paid against him. See the Harvey 300pinches rubbish, the end of game run-in with a childish Stevie J and the countless cheap free kicks to Marc Murphy as evidence.

"Boring Roos Lyon" football is the mantra, yet we were 7th highest for scores this year in the H&A.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to change perceptions and only a flag can do so.

Do you honestly believe a PR person would be able to change the types of stories that media outlets decide to run?

We put out a lot of feel good stories through the year (and in the last season our media department seems to be pushing out more) - it's all we can do. Control what's in front of us.

Heroes one year, villains the next, who gives a s**t. Media are paid to sell stories. Our guys are paid to play football. As long as they do that, everyone else can say what they like ;)

Everyone in the media wanted to bang us during last year's final campaign. They couldn't stop talking about our manic pressure.

The media will jump onto anything to make it into a story, good or bad, it always fluctuates. I don't think we are seen in a bad light. Yes we occasionally get the "boring Ross Lyon" tripe but to be honest I feel like I read more about that on bigfooty than in newspapers etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of embracing Freo as a club with increasing revenue potential, premiership contender, we were the only club in the running to play
a final in geelong. Lyon leaving Saints, Harvey knifed. Lyon style of football attacked, Balla and Crowley both play the game within the rules,
yet portrayed as thugs.
We could do with some positive press for a change, Sydney allowed to buy a flag, yet its the blood culture. Power are the new poster boy.

Port cop it worse than Freo, over there.

The biggest issue is we don't have an ex - player in the mainstream media. No one is batting for us or our players. No one is bringing up our issues as important. Hell Collingwood get 4 frees in a game its in the Melbourne papers. Eddie is on the radio about it. Even Port have Koch who is a media darling. And the person in the media batting for Freo is ..........

It won't change till we win a couple of Premierships.

I have complained to the dockers previously about a couple of notable issues in the PR area. Somethings could probably be put off as "not giving oxygen to the fanboyz", whatever. But some things are a little more genuine.

Has anyone looked at the DockerTV stuff and compared it to others. Whilst there is a certain sense of player kitch that is cool in some of the material, there doesn't seem to be any sense that there is a plan. It all seems like a couple of the boys woke up one morning and said lets make this (and I am all for player content). Then next week someone else wanted to do something different (once again no issue). But when all content seems to be like this, it gets a little disturbing.
In contrast I get annoyed when I see EagleVision after/before a dockers game but I have to say there is a level of professionalism that DockerTV has not reached. Or looking at the stuff produced by the poor (they can't pay coaches without AFL assistance) Melbourne club which has a level of professionalism I haven't found with the DockerTV stuff. Try the bomber stuff and others and we don't cover ourselves in glory.

We have to wait for the Worst to do a "where are they now" segment before we get some good milage out of our past greats like Modra or Farmer. Or the AFL channel to do a segment on Pitt and his health. It looks like once they leave we don't care, just poor form in my book. We couldn't even produce a "fly through" for the new facilities we are building whats with that. No consistent content on the Peel boys or injuries just a short clip filmed in front of a random wall. I think I learn't more about the boys from the the weekly stupid question on the AFL site than from our site.

To me it seems that there is very little drive here at all. There is a huge scope for improvement and I would bet money that if they improved what they are doing for the fans it would translate. If we produce quality content it will be published. The more you tell your story the harder it is for the other guy to tell his.

I've got a whinge. Does anybody else find it odd that the club would spend 70 cents per member on a letter to tell them that they will soon be receiving their 2015 membership packs.... In the post. I mean, quick maths tells me that is $30K+ to send a letter telling me I'm going to get another letter. I just find it odd.

I've got a whinge. Does anybody else find it odd that the club would spend 70 cents per member on a letter to tell them that they will soon be receiving their 2015 membership packs.... In the post. I mean, quick maths tells me that is $30K+ to send a letter telling me I'm going to get another letter. I just find it odd.

Especially when they sent an email saying the exact same thing as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back