Fixture Putting the fix in fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1689149299756.png

The AFL is allegedly a professional sporting competition, why don't they even attempt some basic degree of fairness?

Cat park has been objectively the hardest road trip for 20 years. Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood flat out get to just not play there. It's garbage. (Aside from Essendon this week obviously)

Either the stadium is good enough for AFL or it isn't.

It really shouldnt be the hard for the AFL to schedule a fixture that is built with some degree of fairness in mind, rather than maximising revenue. The AFL is not a private company with shareholders who needs to squeeze every last drop of profit. They're administrators of a sport.

Your surprised a team that plays in a stadium that has only held 35,000 to 20,000 over the last 30 odd years and has played home games each year in larger stadiums that holds 100,000 to 50,000 tends to play the teams that will draw the larger attendance in the larger stadium?

yes i am. it's a geelong home game. geelong is a different place to melbourne. gws stadium holds about 500 people but teams have to play there.

maybe when port plays collingwood for top spot, we should move it from adelaide oval to the MCG because it holds more?

Your surprised a team that plays in a stadium that has only held 35,000 to 20,000 over the last 30 odd years and has played home games each year in larger stadiums that holds 100,000 to 50,000 tends to play the teams that will draw the larger attendance in the larger stadium?
Plenty of games would have drawn attendances larger than what KP can hold. Dees v Geelong have been top of the table clashes for a few years now.

yes i am. it's a geelong home game. geelong is a different place to melbourne. gws stadium holds about 500 people but teams have to play there.

maybe when port plays collingwood for top spot, we should move it from adelaide oval to the MCG because it holds more?
Geelong have a deal with the MCC to play home games there. They have previously had a deal to play home games at Marvel. Geelong have a large number of members who do live in Melbourne and have by choice played some home games in Melbourne to service this base.

I'm sure if Port had some sort of deal with Alberton oval and played a handful of games from there each season they certainly wouldn't be playing the teams that would draw the larger attendances frequently there.

Plenty of games would have drawn attendances larger than what KP can hold. Dees v Geelong have been top of the table clashes for a few years now.
They may have but there is no guarantee. Simple fact is historically based on attendance figures regardless of ladder position Collingwood is a safe bet.

They may have but there is no guarantee. Simple fact is historically based on attendance figures regardless of ladder position Collingwood is a safe bet.

ah so its fair enough to compromise the integrity (cough cough) of the competition so a few thousand extra collingwood supporters can go to the game?

who gives a *?

a fair fixture is more important than a few dollars. collingwood should have to suffer the auto-loss at KP like the rest of us pissant clubs.

i propose retrospectively docking collingwood 12 wins from this seasons premiership points due to only having played there 3 times in 33 years.

Historically Collingwood s**t their pants every finals series. Should they forfeit now?

ah so its fair enough to compromise the integrity (cough cough) of the competition so a few thousand extra collingwood supporters can go to the game?

who gives a *?

a fair fixture is more important than a few dollars. collingwood should have to suffer the auto-loss at KP like the rest of us pissant clubs.

i propose retrospectively docking collingwood 12 wins from this seasons premiership points due to only having played there 3 times in 33 years.
Concerned your team can't win the flag on merit?

Not sure a fan of a club who took money from the Chinese but had the opponent forfeit the home game could argue about the integrity of the fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Port Adelaide fan complaining that their team has played there less than any other non Victorian side that has been in the competition for more than 13 seasons? I agree Port should play there far more.

i wonder if maybe, just maybe, the fact we weren't in the AFL until 1997 had anything to do with that?

enjoy your auto-loss in front of the construction site this week anyway.

Sorry to the OP because it’s a fair point but it isn’t YOUR club or any of the regulars to KP that’s the most hard done by in this scenario…

m8 the 7 years we weren't in the comp probably has something to do with that. chuck another ~5 games in there and we're up there with the rest.

I used to be for blowing the stadium to smithereens but now I'm for them getting 11 games a year there. They used to play Richmond there all the time. Then Richmond suddenly got good and now all their games are at the MCG. All the games against good teams are deemed high drawing, so they are played at other stadiums. Let's see what their record there is like when they actually have to play good teams there.

I used to be for blowing the stadium to smithereens but now I'm for them getting 11 games a year there. They used to play Richmond there all the time. Then Richmond suddenly got good and now all their games are at the MCG. All the games against good teams are deemed high drawing, so they are played at other stadiums. Let's see what their record there is like when they actually have to play good teams there.

Considering for the better part of two decades now we’ve been beating good teams wherever we play them, I’m not sure how much the venue will impact that. I’d say our general standard as a team will have more of a say in it

what's funny is the "good teams" in this scenario are actually the worst (carlton and essendon who have been crud for two decades). collingwood have also been either quite good or very average. carlton and collingwood don't draw that well for meaningless games when they're ordinary. they should have been forced to geeloningrad like the rest of us.

You know this brings up another important question. Adelaide Oval has been hosting AFL games for 10 seasons now. There are two teams hosting games there. How has Carlton only managed to play 7 games at Adelaide Oval in those 10 years? That's the real unfairness here. Why do we have to go there 14 times in the same period? Why are Carlton getting a free ride?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back