Preview Qualifying Final 1- Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Thursday 7th September, 19.20pm, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
We’ve made our second consecutive finals campaign, and second consecutive top 4 finish. Well done to the club and everyone who’s helped make it happen.

Now for a reality check. Here’s our record against the other finalists:

Adelaide – our biggest loss for the season
Geelong – our second biggest loss for the season, and a draw
Richmond – one narrow win, and a comfortable loss
Port Adelaide – a comfortable win
Sydney – one comfortable win, and a loss
Essendon – one reasonably comfortable win
West Coast – two wins, neither of which was particularly comfortable

It’s not exactly a record that inspires much confidence going into the finals. And we have not been in good form for most of the year, to be honest. Look at our season record, especially from rounds 6-19.

In fact, since our round 5 victory over the Swans at the SCG (and our mid-season win against wooden-spoon Brisbane), our only convincing wins have been against Melbourne in round 20 and the Bulldogs in round 21.

Something hasn’t been right about the team this year. We’ve got by through sheer depth of talent, but have not been dominant. Injuries have played a part, but it’s one of those things that is hard to put a finger on.

Now we face the Crows in a qualifying final at Adelaide Oval on Thursday week, so let’s have a look at our overall record against them.

We’ve only beaten them once in eight starts, and apart from that, the losses have been by more-than-convincing margins (the average losing margin is 12 goals!), with the latest loss being Round 1 this year. For some reason, they match up well against us. That’s just the way it seems to be.

As their percentage suggests, the Crows themselves have been quite dominant this year, with only a couple of bad losses to their name. However, they finished the season losing to Sydney at home, then West Coast away.

It’s the loss to the Swans which will worry them, because it resembles their recent performances in finals and other significant games. They last won a preliminary final 20 years ago. They came close in 2006 and 2012, but apart from that, have tended to exit at elimination or semi-final stage. Their performance under pressure is questionable.

We might be able to exploit that to our advantage, provided we get team selection right. We just can’t afford any passengers or spectators. Some hard decisions need to be made, because we’re going to have to be very hard to win.

The consensus is that Steve Johnson’s career is finished. He made virtually no impact against his old club last night. He surely won’t be able to keep pace in the finals.

I would bring Tim Taranto into the team. He looked good before getting injured and was providing some great energy around the ground. His return through the NEAFL was successful. He won’t be over-awed by the occasion.

Matt De Boer should also be included. He has more-than-handy finals experience from his time with the Dockers.

Leon and the coaches need to find some way to make us unpredictable. Should Dawson Simpson come into the team, to free up Mumford for some other role? Is Jacob Hopper able to step up another level, having missed so much game time this year? If not, who could replace him?

All things considered, the Crows have had the wood on us for quite a while, and there isn’t any evidence we’ll be able to turn that around in the near future, much less an away final. I would love to go to this game, but it being on a Thursday rules that out.

Nonetheless, hope springs eternal. We were able to win our qualifying final last year. If the coaches get team selection right, and we're hungry enough, there’s no reason we can’t do it again.

There’s no better to time break our hoodoo against the Crows at Adelaide Oval.

Go Giants!

Last edited:
Great write up

I wont lie im shitting my pants !

I just cant see a way we beat them in the form we are in. I suspect it will be a schellacking.

Only thing is luckily we have a second chance.

However that means playing most of the big games away. Which on this years form also means schellackings.

Best chance was staying at home through the finals. But bot to be.

Yes we have another gear to go to. But we have been saying that all season.

I just hope it comes now. Better late than never

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Adelaide are in worse form than us.
It's all about who will bring the most pressure. Hopeful we can use the Geelong game as an example of what's required.

Stevie J can't play. He hasn't played a great game all year. Stayed on a year too long.

i din't how much effort we should exert in this match. a lose to them would be benecfical ,injuries aside we will beat richmond and off to the flag

It's all about who will bring the most pressure. Hopeful we can use the Geelong game as an example of what's required.

Stevie J can't play. He hasn't played a great game all year. Stayed on a year too long.
stevie could pull a miracle goal that could shatter richmond. all it takes is one one lucky possesion.

i din't how much effort we should exert in this match. a lose to them would be benecfical ,injuries aside we will beat richmond and off to the flag
If we could guarantee a Richmond victory over the Cats, it'd be more interesting - avoid both the Cats and Swans. As QF1 I think we're first up on the Thursday night though.

stevie could pull a miracle goal that could shatter richmond. all it takes is one one lucky possesion.

Arguably by that point he could have cost us three or four other scoring opportunities that would have made the game that much more comfortable though...

I know Saturday was a poor result and a lot of the talk here ha been about he changes we need to make to the 22 this week.... but We've waited all year to put that 22 out on the ground! It's not the names team that's the problem it's the way that named team played!

If we dig deeper we got smashed in contested ball (-24) and our efficiency inside 50 was appalling (20 shots from 51 I50). We also gave away something like 9 goals from turnovers.

Now our effictinside the forward half has been poor all year at the feel game so that's not going to change but the contested ball and turnover stats need to be a focus for this week. With that midfield division there is no excuse for us to lose the contested ball stats... we need to be better around the ground. The turnovers I thought were a matter of poor decision making coming out of defense. I'm not sure we are confident down back ATM and blokes aren't sure when is the right time to run it out, chip or around or go long down the line

He should never put on the jumper again.
One lucky possession doesn't make up for 6 missed tackles or errant passes, per game.

Yes but so can Lids or Scully or Devon. More importantly MDB can do that goal saving tackle that helps lift his teammates heads and helps win the game too

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sadly he played 1 season to long.
He has become very slow, no disrespect as we all do with age.

Barring injuries that would have to be Stevie Js last game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Agreed
But I wouldn't discount the possibility Leon encouraged him to play on this year.
He was.a good recruit but it's time to say tks, and for him to announce he's done I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm expecting a very high quality game. I didn't see your match against Geelong but I know from our experiences that it's a very difficult place to win.
We rested up a few key players in the West Coast game that would have played if it was a final and we had already cemented top spot before we played.
Your side on paper looked to be the strongest that you have fielded all year. A lot of talent all over the field.
We have a good record against you but I don't quite know why. I always seem to tip you against us.
Anyway, let's hope it is a cracker of a game and may the best team win. #weflyasone

Feel like this will be a 10 goal Adelaide win, or a 1 goal GWS win.

GWS with more pure talent around the ball. Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield is a much deeper midfield than Adelaide's Sloane + role players. If Sloane is quiet, then GWS will have the contested possession edge.

If Williams can go for 30 and cut through the Adelaide forward press then GWS can get some easy goals.

However Adelaide are very good at locking the ball in their forward line and getting repeat entries through the forward press. If GWS play the slow down the line game they will get crushed.

Sorry team but I'm hoping for an Adelaide win in this one.

2de06c2bb0144344434e421e08176ce6.gif

f47a555bdfa4f9fc6862ea506bd35157.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Feel like this will be a 10 goal Adelaide win, or a 1 goal GWS win.

GWS with more pure talent around the ball. Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield is a much deeper midfield than Adelaide's Sloane + role players. If Sloane is quiet, then GWS will have the contested possession edge.

If Williams can go for 30 and cut through the Adelaide forward press then GWS can get some easy goals.

However Adelaide are very good at locking the ball in their forward line and getting repeat entries through the forward press. If GWS play the slow down the line game they will get crushed.

Forgiven
But only because you've been an interesting contributor, and no BS.
:DWeek off on principle seems appropriate though

Last edited:
It’s the loss to the Swans which will worry them, because it resembles their recent performances in finals and other significant games.

Not really; we just couldn't kick straight (11:14 to 13:5) and these were kicks not under pressure. e.g. Charlie Cameron missed 3 from not far out and in front. We did however get the rub of the green wrt free kicks; except the 50m penalty where Betts tackled and got a HTB decision which was overturned to a 50 metre penalty > goal.
Keath played on Franklin too o_Oand will be better for the experience; if we play the Swans again I doubt whether the same match-up would occur.

Loss to Swans by 3 points - see above.
Played a dead rubber in Perth - we were never interested.

It's all about who will bring the most pressure.
Spot on.
Good luck but no too much:( may the best team win.

Not really; we just couldn't kick straight (11:14 to 13:5) and these were kicks not under pressure. e.g. Charlie Cameron missed 3 from not far out and in front. We did however get the rub of the green wrt free kicks; except the 50m penalty where Betts tackled and got a HTB decision which was overturned to a 50 metre penalty > goal.
Keath played on Franklin too o_Oand will be better for the experience; if we play the Swans again I doubt whether the same match-up would occur.

Loss to Swans by 3 points - see above.
Played a dead rubber in Perth - we were never interested.

Spot on.
Good luck but no too much:( may the best team win.
Damn
I was hoping it would go to the team with the better song. But I guess your right.

In finals the cream rises to the top, and Adelaide has a lot more passengers than the giants have.

Dellidio was born for this moment.

Giants by 30+

Sense of deja vu - last year we were given little chance 4th against a rampant Swans in first place, who were expected to belt us in our first ever final. OK, so ANZ probably took away a little advantage from Swans, but still it was a big surprise to most that GWS won. GWS certainly need to forget the results of our last meeting with Adelaide and Saturday night's game against Cats, other than learning from them how not to play, but if we can unleash everyone playing to their potential in the same game there's no reason why we cannot beat Adelaide. They are certainly a good team, but not unbeatable - even at home: especially given their finals record. However, we do need to fix those flaws we continue to exhibit in the same areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back