Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A Yoke is a whatsit or thingumibob. It's anything whose proper name or use is unknown. Probably invented purely to evoke the above question. :p

A Yoke is something that ties two things together.
In the earliest days of footy jumpers, the yoke made the top was secured to the bottom.
You could also call it re-inforcing, but back then it was yoke.
Teams used the design to differentiate their mostly similar jumpers from other teams.
So Carlton, Melbourne, StKilda & Fitzroy jumpers from years ago had a different coloured yoke from the rest of the jumper.
Carlton's was made of chamois, which is the thing you wash the car with.
Melbourne's was Red, Fitzroys was also chamois, then Yellow.
StKilda had Black and Red hooped jumpers with a White yoke at one stage.
While this is one example of a yoke:
Fitzroy-1.gif

These shoulders would also have been called a yoke in the early days
Fitzroy-4.gif

I am currently making a Official Jumper Guide, like aidancdaman's, for the SANFL. Does anyone have access to the Photoshop colour codes for the SANFL teams??

Mero Im looking at you:)

ATM Im am just getting the colours off the logos and Ive just done Central's and their red looks like a pinky sorta colour and I dont think this is right.

BTW I dont want just anyone to try and guess the colours by looking at photos or sampling logo/photos and thinking "that's close enough".

To be honest I've never really looked into the SANFL as I always regarded it as too difficult to research properly, so someone local can do it.

With the pdf that was linked to above, that has the artwork for the WAFL jumpers, which if you have something like Illustrator you can pinch the artwork, and therefore the colours from. But I've never seen a SANFL version of the same. (Except for Norwood and Glenelg which were in there as well)
If you can get anything like that for all the clubs it would make it easy.

Always wondered why Collingwood reversed their guernsey in 2001, I've never heard an answer for this at all...?

Also, the Carlton on-field guernsey can only be purchased from the club (they've always done this). Ludicrously, it cost $300 last season and will likely be the same this year. There are a number of differences to the replica, the main one being the 'raised' CFC logo. Still, $300 is unbelievable for a football jumper.

What do other clubs' 'official' guernsey's cost, and what are the differences to the replica?

I can't answer any of your questions, but i'd like to reitterate that point about the "raised" CFC monogram, which I've always wondered about. Surely it's unique among the age of printed polyester designs?

Yep, these days it is the only one of its kind.

Back in the day you had Fitzroy, West Coast and Western Bulldogs (98-99 Canterbury) with a raised or independently stitched on logo. Not any more.

With the sponsorship of Nike beginning in 1998 we switched from the stitch on to the raised logo. I like that it still has that unique factor about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for anyone who uses photobucket to upload their designs.

How do I set it so all my uploads get uploaded as a png rather than a jpeg?

save them as a png?

QFT :p

Photobucket simply hosts the files on your PC. If it's a jpg file, that's all Photobucket will host.
If you have a png file, it will accept it as a valid image file.

SAAndy said:
Do you guys make any other graphics than footy jumpers like involving renders? ?

there are a few different designs for other sports in the Crossover thread, some with renders. (though they are mostly fairly basic)

This question may have been answered previously and apologies if it has been. Why did West Coast, Adelaide and Hawthorn all come out with basically the same away jumper? Ie. White jumper big bird's head coming from the side. Hawthorn did it first and it looked pretty good and then the other two club's jumped on board and now a once good design has become ho-hum. Are Sydney and Collingwood next?

Also, clubs have a pre-occupation with having a mainly white jumper as their away strip. I mean, there is obviously no mistaking the two team's strips in this case but surely they could be a bit more original. I am a proud Melbourne supporter and for one, I actually liked our alternate Red guernsey with the Demon logo.

Thoughts?

I think it's fairly simple. The Hawthorn jumper was popular and they liked it so the designers applied it to Adelaide's and WC's jumpers.
It'd be like when clubs were stealing Carlton's monogram idea or clubs were all wearing V's.

This question may have been answered previously and apologies if it has been. Why did West Coast, Adelaide and Hawthorn all come out with basically the same away jumper? Ie. White jumper big bird's head coming from the side. Hawthorn did it first and it looked pretty good and then the other two club's jumped on board and now a once good design has become ho-hum. Are Sydney and Collingwood next?
You'd think the Pies stripes are untouchable so I doubt Collingwood will go down that road especially with Adidas as their apparel sponsor rather than Puma. As for Sydney, I think that the general consensus is everybody loves their new clash so keep it that way.

Also, clubs have a pre-occupation with having a mainly white jumper as their away strip. I mean, there is obviously no mistaking the two team's strips in this case but surely they could be a bit more original. I am a proud Melbourne supporter and for one, I actually liked our alternate Red guernsey with the Demon logo.

Thoughts?
The Dees still wear the red guernsey as their away (and yes I like it more than the white one). The clash (white) only gets brought out on a few occasions, e.g. vs Essendon.

Something I've always been wondering is why Sydney only wear red shorts and never white shorts. I doubt they'd do it due to a jumper clash because I don't think they've worn white shorts since then 90's, which was way before clash jumpers were introduced.

Something I've always been wondering is why Sydney only wear red shorts and never white shorts. I doubt they'd do it due to a jumper clash because I don't think they've worn white shorts since then 90's, which was way before clash jumpers were introduced.

I think it's because no one else wears red as their main colour so they don't feel a need to. I think their home jumper looks a bit weird with white shorts actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back