Wildrig

All Australian
Mar 10, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal , Tennessee Titans
Gday all. May I just pass this on to anyone who is thinking of quitting - just my experience.

About 20 smokes a day for 10 years. Even more on the booze with the lads. Id wake up rotten, absolutely s**t. I thought it was because Id drank so much. I can tell you now, its not the booze. Im starting a family soon and decided to get rid of my selfish habit whilst young enough to do so. (im 34) I started to feel that smoking was starting to run my life. By this i mean when friends were looking for places to go out at night id think of comfortable places where i knew i could smoke. It started to annoy me. Approaching a life with my adorable wife to be, wanting a family, it clicked. Now Im the bloke who loves footy, beer, smokes etc etc but i really wanted to cut out the smokes for my futures sake yet was scared what it would do to my love of having a smoke and beer with the footy. Life. Life is so much more important than being corrupted by the drug. Once one realises its not actually enjoyable its just the addiction one starts to realise how to overcome it.

Ok...I was terrified of quitting. Terrified if i didnt have that smoke in the morning my body would do something strange and id start puffing, shaking and god help me, think that Julia was doing something useful. You cant be afraid , the body will work. Ok the body will do a few strange things , you may feel ill, headaches, boredom - really the list is endless. What you must be sure of though that "YOURE BODY IS WINNING AND ALTHOUGH UNCOMFORTABLE IT WILL SUCCEED" your mind will always, yes always , let you down before your body will. Trust it and get mentally tough knowing what you are doing is gaining years on your life. Every hour you dont have a smoke is empowering, hours become nights, which become mornings, days , maybe a week. The feeling you have after each day of not smoking is so much more rewarding than giving your body that dose of nicotine which your brain says it needs. Embrace the feeling not smoking gives you, get back to being in control of yourself

So....for me..... I locked myself in my house while my gf was away, i thought id need maybe 4 days when its really bad. I watched tv, foxtel , lots of sport. I cleaned the house 32 times, my Mazda 3 was the cleanest car in Australia - geez I even tried to educate myself on the nuances on my Landcruiser headlights. Every time I wanted a smoke Id do 5 pushups. Ok, unconventional and books will probably snarl at me but it worked for me. Whatever works when a craving appears. I run a lot , my 10 k best run improved 9 mins within 3 weeks of stopping durries. Wow (Im still wow about that) Just keep yourself busy, preferably with an enjoyable task. Avoid booze. This is hard (because I love beer ) but just hold up a bit. Its always going to be difficult with booze the first 8 wks or so, but look in the mirror and see how far youve come now .. see your smile, kiss your partner without trying to hide the smell, scratch your nose without smelling the burners. Feel empowered, laugh, and enjoy the smoke free life. Enjoy your friends supporting you, enjoy your body smiling and saying (thank god) youve stopped. enjoy your extra years of healthy life.

If you get weak occasionally, do not give up. Its all mental - be strong enough to beat a chemical and the world is more of an oyster than it ever was when the haze was trapping you. If you have a puff, remember this and read it again - you dont need this crap - the addiction makes you feel like you do, youre stronger than that - wake up in the morning and feel it :)

Cheers
sorry if it was so long

Last edited:
1974%20rear%20cover.jpg

I've never smoked and never will (except for a bit of ganj way back in the day). I'm tremendously happy for Wildrig and am glad he overcame the smokes and shared his victory. He didn't add that non-smokers can smell smokers at 50 paces and it's not a good smell. Good job, Wil you deserve to be proud. :thumbsu:

But now on to important matters: For those of us who love and respect the gods of irony, it's time to take bets of when Wildrig is going to ironically die of cancer in the next 36 months. I'll take month 27 and I'll double down on the Lymphoma groups as well as the Lymphatic sarcomas.

Well done mate. I gave up in May or so, but a day or 2 before the Grand Final i was stressed out to the max and since then i've relapsed and probably have 1 pack a week. I read a book EASYWAY by Allen Carr and he talks you through how psychological smoking is. (He smoked 100 cigs a day for 20+ years IIRC) I found patches, gum, tablets and everything like that a waste of time. Especially patches, because they still give you a hit of nicotine and you're still reliant on it so it doesn't really help you give up at all. Best way is cold turkey or something similar and grinding it out, because it's all in the mind.

Well done. Very similar to my story. My last smoke was on my wedding night. That was 5 years ago, life goes and you can still enjoy your beer.

Nice work mate. I know a lot of people who have tried to quit but continue to fail even though it's already had an impact on their health, so it's a lot nicer to hear these stories rather than the ones that go the other way. :thumbsu:

Well done. I gave up a few years ago. Hardest thing I ever did. My Grandfather died and I was faced with my own mortality plus I hatted being controlled by the smokes and the FRC's at the tobacco companies. A reporter on ABCNews Radio asked Nicola Roxon why ciggies weren't just banned. This when she was crowing about the plain packaging issue. She didn't know what to say. Ha ha ha.

Same thing with me was a pretty big smoker for 5-6 years than decided to quit as was sick of waking up the next day feeling like crap.IE coughing all the time , chest pains and lack of breath while at the gym.

Went cold turkey and the first few weeks were hard but once you stop smoking at the usual events ( Smoke break at work, having drinks with friends , after a meal) you get used to not doing it and will slowly stop having craves.

After 3-4 months you completely forget what it was like to have a smoke with no craves at all.

Its been 3 years since then and i have not looked back my body feels 1000 times better than it ever was :cool:.

I had smoked for 30 years from 15 to 45, with 15 of those years in Asia paying only $1 a pack so giving up was not really an option, as it was cheap & enjoyable for me.
I had major surgery last March & as a result went cold turkey whilst in hospital for 4 weeks.
After smoking that long, I never thought it would go so well giving up.
I have tried since once or twice to smoke when pissed & can not due to how harsh it is now on my throat.
The cravings are now gone & besides the weight I have put on, I feel great.
If you smoke you should look at any way possible to give up, you'll feel better for it.

I smoked for 18 years. I wanted to give up and went on the patches. I also gave up drinking for the first 2 weeks I was off them. I found this to be a great help. I think the patches have a Placebo effect. About 4 weeks in I had a really big day with on the sauce. When I got home I realised I never put a patch on that morning. I threw them out after that day.
I used to smoke in my car so I would buy some lollies to eat while I was driving. I have had 2 drags on a cigarette since I gave up and it was terrible. I couldn't do it.
It's coming up to 3 years now and I feel pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on day 11, Feeling great too. I'm on the Nicabate lozenges which I find to be the best although I haven't tried Champex.

A great read to the OP.

For the last two years I might not have one for 2 weeks, then go out and buy a pack and have it in a week, not smoke for a week, buy a pack and smoke it in 2 weeks, not smoke for two weeks, then go out and buy another pack etc etc.

I have not quite got the last bit right yet. I've always just gone cold turkey and never have lapsed because I 'need a smoke' but more because I've been out with people who are smoking, or have had a beer or two.

Day 144.

I've "given up" probably a dozen times with varying degree of success - from a few hours (thanks for nothing hypnosis) to 3 months. Smoked for 20 years until I gave the Champix a (second) run.

It hasn't been easy or hard especially. I still miss smoking each day, but the idea of smoking seems foreign now - I'd feel wrong trying to hold one. The cheese and kisses is into nutrition so no weight gain either. I've not had more than 8 beers in a sitting since I quit but feel I could give it a razzle dazzle without needing to bum a smoke.

2 years ago I found out I had high cholesterol, blood pressure and type 2 diabetes in the one Doctor visit.

From that day I gave up the smokes using Champex, lost 15 kilos and reduced my cholesterol in one year more than my doctor has ever seen.

At 45 I turned my life around and I have never felt better.

I loved the durries, but the one and only time I tried one after I quit, I couldnt smoke it, made me feel stupid.

I smoked a packet a day for years and one day found I wasn't really enjoying it any more and gave champex a go - made me quite crook but perservered and haven't looked back - quit June 2008 and figured that if I got through that last weekend in September without one then I was never going to have another - coming up 5 years now. Stacked on some weight but now working at getting that off

Good luck and congrats Wildrig - if the mind is ready, everything else will fall into place

Great post Wildrig really inspirational stuff. Currently a smoker but really looking to quit for several reasons. Plan to quit once a deal is done on what will hopefully be my new home.

Any posters got advice on how to deal with friends/family smoking?

Great post Wildrig really inspirational stuff. Currently a smoker but really looking to quit for several reasons. Plan to quit once a deal is done on what will hopefully be my new home.

Let them keep the money for something fun. My other half wants me to quit, I really want to but have tried many times but I give up quite easily. So the deal is if I can quit, I get all my smoke money to go towards my holiday in Canada. if I don't quit, I don't think I get to go...this is the most motivated I have ever been to quit.

Let them keep the money for something fun. My other half wants me to quit, I really want to but have tried many times but I give up quite easily. So the deal is if I can quit, I get all my smoke money to go towards my holiday in Canada. if I don't quit, I don't think I get to go...this is the most motivated I have ever been to quit.

After several unsuccessful attempts to quit (all using the patch), what finally worked for me was the patch AND avoiding social situations with the usual suspects for a while AFTER I finshed the patch.

What i found is that the patch is great at getting you to stop until you finish the 12 week program. After that, its pretty much all mental like the OP suggests so a bit of preparation beforehand was essential. A couple of months later, I could easily hang out at the same places with the same blokes. Havent had a cig for 2 years now.

* I really want a smoke, I have wanted one so bad today. Went for a milkshake at dome, went down to the little jetty and some bastard walks down there and starts smoking!!!!!!! Bastard!!!

QUIT NOW
Theres nothing stopping you. Go outside with yu friends/family and stand upwind. Break the habit not the ritual. The ritual will go by itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back