Game Day R10 2024: Euro-Yroke v Walyalup (The Ross Lyon Cup)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Euro-Yroke (St Kilda) vs Walyalup (Fremantle)

Saturday 18th May 2024 5:30PM AWST

Marvel Stadium

It’s never as bad or as good as it seems.

At least that's what I keep telling myself after yet another deflating performance from Freo last round.
I don't sit here and think I'm a genius but it's an opinion business, so welcome to mine (and a lot of Ross Lyon quotes).

Looking Back
Last time we met was R1 2023 when Freo were coming off the high of a successful 2022.
St Kilda had a lot of key injuries and the Saints fans were worrying about how they might contain Fyfe as a forward.
Yeah, things didn't quite go as planned. It wasn't ideal.

Asides from the obvious (hi Ross), we also have the joys of Sirengate and Brad Hill as shared history. But we came out on top of both of those so we can't be too upset.

1715495837969.png

Looking Around
St Kilda made it to the finals in 2023 but have had a mixed start to 2024, but have been in most games up to their eyeballs.
They fell to Hawthorn last round down in Tasmania, which always throws up some interesting results so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Fremantle have been largely there or thereabouts so far, except for one game we won't ever talk about again and a mauling after an emotional build up.
We've been very strong in the contest (thanks JLo), but have often struggled to move it forward with intent and make a connection.

Neither team has a convincing formline, each with their struggles to make the most of their opportunities, but unfortunately you can't head down to Hay Street and buy confidence.
As someone once said, there's no confidence shop.

Nbc GIF by Superstore

Looking Forwards
In terms of team changes St Kilda could consider bringing back Hunter Clark off his latest injury struggles or Matt Phillipou after dropping him before last round, but neither set the VFL on fire.

On our side Darcy might need another week before he comes back from his calf 'tightness' otherwise if the 8 day break is enough he'd be a direct in with Voss coming out again.
I expect the only change may be Walters into the 22 at Emmett's expense, particularly with Sturt missing for Peel.

1715495853796.jpeg

You can't hope yourself into the finals, so this has become an almost must win for our chances.
St Kilda have been better than their record suggests so far, albeit they've been unable to capitalise on some close games, so I'm tipping this to be a pretty tight contest, with the Saints run ultimately stretching us a little too thin.

St Kilda by 11points

Last edited:
Forward
Amiss and Treacy will be lining up on Wilkie, who I think is highly underrated, and Battle, so as usual will need to be fighting hard to make sure the ball hits the ground.
Amiss has been targeted and kept out of games, so it will be interesting to see if we try something different.
Howard will take whoever our third tall is, but the real threat will be their half back line where we've lacked forward pressure and St Kilda have excelled at bouncing back from.

1715495971472.jpeg

Centre
Clearances are where Freo have excelled in 2024, and without Crouch we may have an advantage here we can press.
Steele is still keeping his high levels, and Windhager is dangerous but our spread of Serong/Fyfe/Young/Brayshaw should give us the edge.
Marshall vs Darcy or Jackson in the ruck will be an interesting battle but again this is another potential area we could capitalise on.
Out on the wings is where we could be burnt, it will be a hell of a challenge for Sharp and Banfield/Johnson/JOM on the opposite side.

1715495989570.jpeg

Back
Max King hasn't hit the heights he's capable of yet, but he can score a few rapidly and we'll be relying on Alex Pearce to keep him from a meaningful contribution to this game.
That will leave Draper and Ryan on Owens and Membrey, so the team defence will be critical to making sure there aren't too many 1 on 1s down there.

Overall though St Kilda have their preferred wing structure back, which Ross Lyon teams always use very effectively.
Brad Hill, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Darcy Wilson and Liam Henry bring a lot of run to their team which we will need to be working hard to counter.

1715495905834.jpeg

Last edited:

Failure to win this game at this point the way Saints are going would be pretty bad. I think we will win and convincingly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't kick enough goals, neither do they.
St Kilda by 4 points in a defensive slugfest.
If we going to go anywhere our coaches need to help develop goal kickers

LOL at he title. I am not sure the Fremantle football club would want anything that has Ross Lyons name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back