Preview R2 v GC @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Im a huge Hickey fan but i probably wouldnt bring him in on reputation alone.. I wouldnt be playing him and Longer in the same team now that Bruce has improved so much. Longer needs more senior experience and I'd like to see Hickey really push for selection with strong VFL form..
Billings in for ? ... Thats it.

Im a huge Hickey fan but i probably wouldnt bring him in on reputation alone.. I wouldnt be playing him and Longer in the same team now that Bruce has improved so much. Longer needs more senior experience and I'd like to see Hickey really push for selection with strong VFL form..
Billings in for ? ... Thats it.

Reputation alone? I guess his past AFL form counts for nothing.

Strong VFL form? Like the game he played the other day?

The players I worry about are there key young players in Prestia, Swallow, Bennell and Lynch.
If we spend to much time focusing on Ablett, Prestia & Swallow can take control in the midfield.
- Shutting down Ablett is a first priority, then 2nd for me is Prestia. His a player you have to make accountable. Maybe a player like Savage can give him a run.
- Lynch kick 4.2 against us last time, think if he gets onto a few, he'll be hard to stop. Saying that with Fisher back, Dempster not carrying as much load and savage taking a step up I think the backline can limit the delivery to him. Delaney will have his work cutout if not.
- Bennell is a player that can dominate on his good day. Need to get stuck into him, as when he makes mistakes under pressure he gets frustrated and lazy. Someone like a Geary? But he may be to short. Someone that can match him with height and pace?

If we can cut down on there impact on the game, I believe we are on track to give them a run.

The players I worry about are there key young players in Prestia, Swallow, Bennell and Lynch.
If we spend to much time focusing on Ablett, Prestia & Swallow can take control in the midfield.
- Shutting down Ablett is a first priority, then 2nd for me is Prestia. His a player you have to make accountable. Maybe a player like Savage can give him a run.
- Lynch kick 4.2 against us last time, think if he gets onto a few, he'll be hard to stop. Saying that with Fisher back, Dempster not carrying as much load and savage taking a step up I think the backline can limit the delivery to him. Delaney will have his work cutout if not.
- Bennell is a player that can dominate on his good day. Need to get stuck into him, as when he makes mistakes under pressure he gets frustrated and lazy. Someone like a Geary? But he may be to short. Someone that can match him with height and pace?

If we can cut down on there impact on the game, I believe we are on track to give them a run.

I think Weller goes straight to Ablett if he plays. He'll test out that shoulder at every chance.

Same problem at GWS though.

They will be fired up, everyone's been into them media wise.

No Periphery , his past doesnt count for nothing. But Longers already in the team and needs the runs. Do you think his VFL form was really good?
If Hickey wants to take his spot, surely that's taking it a bit far...
dumb-and-dumber-pooping-scene_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

I'm crying with laughter watching that gif I just loaded from Dumb and Dumber. Oh, oh, tears... I'd forgotten how good that movie is...

Apologies...

They will be fired up, everyone's been into them media wise.
Yeah they will be. My biggest concern, apart from Ablett getting 40 and kicking 4, is the dewy ground. If it's not torrential rain in SE Qld, it's the bloody dew that settles in every evening making the ball like a cake of soap. If we are lamenting Shenton's disposal under the roof at Docklands, God help him (us) on Saturday night.

Having said all that, I have been feeling really good for the first time in about 18 months about our list and the future (not just in 2020 but this and next year). There were so many positive signs from Sunday. Sinclair, Lonie, Bruce, Longer, Membrey, Geary, Savage, Steven. Added to this the inclusion of Billings, Acres, Wright, McKenzie, Goddard, McCartin, Ross in the coming weeks make me feel warm inside.....maybe it's still the chocolate buzz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus how obsessed with bagging Shenton is this place. Of all the players yesterday he was not the difference or even in the bottom 10 players probably. Steven had as many bad kicks. It seems to be like some kind of need to single someone out.
It's not a good sign when your defensive coach is calling the game for national television and says words to the effect of "not good enough" and "needs to be better".
Having pointed that out, I thought his endeavour was excellent. Am I mistaken when I say that Shenton is a forward who transitioned to the backline in order to seek more opportunity? I am just wondering whether a shift back forward might offer some benefits.

It's not a good sign when your defensive coach is calling the game for national television and says words to the effect of "not good enough" and "needs to be better".
Having pointed that out, I thought his endeavour was excellent. Am I mistaken when I say that Shenton is a forward who transitioned to the backline in order to seek more opportunity? I am just wondering whether a shift back forward might offer some benefits.
He played on the forward flank quite a bit for Sandringham but I'm not sure where he honed his craft as a junior. I don't think he has the skills to make it as a forward and there's too much competition for him to be considered. But hey I didn't think Bruce would be much of a forward so what do I know?

He played on the forward flank quite a bit for Sandringham but I'm not sure where he honed his craft as a junior. I don't think he has the skills to make it as a forward and there's too much competition for him to be considered. But hey I didn't think Bruce would be much of a forward so what do I know?

He was a forward in the SANFL.

Was that Frawley? I'm not sold on him or Hamill as coaches. I'm hoping they are doing stuff I can't see but I hope we aren't getting ex players as a publicity stunt. I he said Shenton isn't good enough for AFL live on tv after 15 games he should probably get taken aside. It looks completely unprofessional and not the encouraging style that has taken over from the fire and brimstone of the olden days.

Yesterday Mooney and Brereton were saying it takes 50 to 80 games before you can judge a player because before that the are playing backs against the wall. There is a danger writing off guys early, I didn't think Jason Blake would make it or Brendan Goddard. I know Shenton makes mistakes but there are about 15 others every week making them too and a lot of them more experienced. The nature of a young team is that the players tend to get lost on the field more and don't know how to shake close checking or preempt where the play will head in advance.

My mail is that Aaron Hamill has turned out to be an excellent coach. I have no mail on spud, however he was the senior coach at Richmond for a number of years - so I think he may have some skill at it.

He didn't say on national TV that Shenton wasn't good enough for AFL! He said his play when he stuffed one of those things up wasn't good enough, which is completely true.

I said earlier in the year that I thought Shents was about 12th in line for a spot in our backline and I still see him as just someone who is plugging a gap until the likes of Gilbert (hopefully), Webster and Wright are ready to return and for when Roberton is back to peak form and fitness. At a couple of inches taller and with better footskills, I much prefer Roberton as a long term option back there to Shents, especially if we are going to have Delaney and Geary playing there long term, which gives us just about enough poor kicking for one backline, especially if Gilbo or even Wright are there as well. Then you have others like Murdoch, Acres and McKenzie who I see as hopefully better long term options.

Last edited:
He didn't say on national TV that Shenton wasn't good enough for AFL! He said his play when he stuffed one of those things up wasn't good enough, which is completely true.

I said earlier in the year that I thought Shents was about 12th in line for a spot in our backline and I still see him as just someone who is plugging a gap until the likes of Gilbert (hopefully), Webster and Wright are ready to return and for when Roberton is back to peak form and fitness. Then you have others like Murdoch, Acres and McKenzie who I see as hopefully better long term options. At a couple of inches taller and with better footskills I much prefer Roberton as a long term option back there to Shents, especially if we are going to have Delaney and Geary playing there long term, which gives us just about enough poor kicking for one backline, especially if Gilbo or even Wright are there as well.

He might be but right at this moment he is in the team and the shit people write about him is disrespectful. I don't mind if he's left out for others the match committee decide are more likely but while he lines up he deserves his chance to play footy with out people ripping him apart. I don't like it no matter which player it is. We tore strips of Zac Dawson for years then all of a sudden his loyalty was questioned when he left for Freo. A friend from WA who knows the Cripps family said it contributed to him going home (he had a girlfriend from WA too).

If you ever talked to Clint Jones at training he was like a kicked dog, he struggled to make eye contact and looked like he expected people to dislike him. The stuff I heard said to Raph was just disgusting and that was from our fans. It was cruel and plenty of it was racist. He was probably the nicest guy you would ever meet. Another mate works with an ex essendon player who still has contact with the club and he was saying the stuff Stanton cops is like deranged rantings so it's not just us. Theses guys are very young and don't sign up to the abuse.

Shents has given up his life in SA to try to make it as a senior AFL footballer, he is already a success as far as making the seniors off the rookie list and has had a handful of good games from his 15 so far. I hope he settles and become a very good player just as I hope Webster and wright do. Give him some respect while he is trying though. He's a reserved kind of quiet guy who is very low maintenance and should be shown respect.

Have I not shown him respect because I said I see him as 12th in line for a spot in our backline and that I prefer others long term? I agree that there is a line that is poor form to cross and don't ever abuse anyone from our team at the footy or hopefully on here, but this is a discussion forum, not a cheerleading forum, where we just talk about the positives. Whether we like it or not it's a jungle out there and the strong will survive, as has always been the case. If anyone isn't able to handle some criticism or predictions that they won't make it on a fan forum they sure as shit ain't going to be able to handle the heat of an AFL football career and that's probably never going to change, whether any of us like it or not. Hopefully Shents makes it, I certainly wish him all the best, as I do everyone who plays for us, but will still call it as I see it, as that's what this place is for and hope everyone else on here does too, as long as they don't cross that line and become disrespectful or abusive.

Last edited:
Have I not shown him respect because I said I see him as 12th in line for a spot in our backline and that I prefer others long term? I agree that there is a line that is poor form to cross and don't ever abuse anyone from our team at the footy or hopefully on here, but this is a discussion forum, not a cheerleading forum, where we just talk about the positives. Whether we like it or not it's a jungle out there and the strong will survive, as has always been the case.

No not you others. You are usually very respectful. I have guys I don't rate but would always try to keep the criticism to aspects of the game not blanket statements like "isn't AFL standard, shouldn't play another game".... etc. We have no control over who plays in the team and anyone that has been around footy clubs will know there are guys who the coaches rate because they follow instructions more than show individual brilliance. If he's playing someone thinks he's doing something right. Webster is probably the most like for like and he's inexperienced and currently injury prone. They might think throwing Shenton to the lions is better than psychologically damaging Webster who could develop a bit further from the defensive goal square where the pressure is a bit less. Savage and Wright are probably more like for like and Wrighty might need to wait until Savage can transition onto a wing.

Just for the record I like Shenton. A good soldier.
I just thought that Shenton has strong running capacity, and he is one of a few players that can long bomb for goal from the 50m arc on the run. His time down back will have put him in very good stead as far as understanding how a defence sets up and works and may allow him to go back forward and flourish. He would certainly be ready made as a lock down forward, and could be swung into defense if injuries or team balance ever required it.
I'm just putting it out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back