Preview R5: St Kilda v Essendon (game day thread now open)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Sinc or Lonie play defensive forward roles. I'm starting to get tired of people ignoring the fact that Curren plays a role and isn't just a 'small forward'.
we don't even need a defensive fwd in our team, just work harder in getting back in the zone.

esp next week, i wouldn't waste anyone on hibbered

Neither Sinc or Lonie play defensive forward roles. I'm starting to get tired of people ignoring the fact that Curren plays a role and isn't just a 'small forward'.

In your opinion how is Curren going in his 'role?'

He needs to add a bit of offence like Puopolo, unless he's under strict directions from the coach to avoid touching the ball?

Okay that was a bit harsh, my point is he needs to expand on his role to become an effective member of the team IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what he means is that Richo likes to have someone play that specific role of "defensive forward" in his team and that if you take out Curren and Saad you then need to replace them with someone else who is suited to that defensive role that they were playing.

I reckon if we were to throw an Acres or McKenzie forward just because we don't have room for them anywhere else that they would probably struggle just as much up forward as some of the others are, as our forward line is just not the easiest place to get a kick in the AFL at the moment, especially if your primary role up there is to defend. Look at Eli, he went from having 6 possessions in our forward line to having high 20's the next week at VFL level.

I just think if Curren is the specific defensive forward without any other tasks aside from pressure and tackling then Richo is a bit behind the times in his pre match planning. The best way to hurt the other team is by creating goal opportunities with scoreboard pressure. It doesn't mean Curren needs to kick the goals himself just play a part in score involvements.

In: Weller, Joey, Roo (if fit)

Out: Curren, Saad/Lonie (rest), McCartin

Webster another week in the VFL. Acres and McKenzie get told that keep this up for another 2 weeks and you'll get a spot.

Murdoch to come back through the VFL, smash them for a month then be given the rest of the year in the guts alongside Armo and Weller.

Someone tell Delaney that Goddard is looking good in the 2s, and he'll have to come in for someone. Hint, hint.

Someone give Spencer a kick up the bum.

What about Shenton as a defensive forward? Loves a goal

What about we play a guy forward who's a forward and a mid, like Minchington or acres, cause the "defensive" element is not preventing the thrashings.

I'd rather help the young midfield out.

What about we play a guy forward who's a forward and a mid, like Minchington or acres, cause the "defensive" element is not preventing the thrashings.

I'd rather help the young midfield out.

Agree. I've been on the Minch bandwagon for a fortnight. He's been the inform player at Sandy. Alas we pick Curren, drop him, bring him straight back in while taking Minch over to NZ so he misses playing a game of footy this weekend. Sigh.

Agree. I've been on the Minch bandwagon for a fortnight. He's been the inform player at Sandy. Alas we pick Curren, drop him, bring him straight back in while taking Minch over to NZ so he misses playing a game of footy this weekend. Sigh.

Would it really matter he missed a game?

Forgive my ignorance, but have him run around a bit more this week.

Would it really matter he missed a game?

Forgive my ignorance, but have him run around a bit more this week.

Just my opinion but I suspect if you're in some form you would like a bit of continuity. Also, he loses an opportunity to play well and put his hand up for selection. He'd be pretty pissed being an emergency this week for StK and a couple of guys for Sandy perform well and get a game next week in the 1's ahead if him. Can see it happen too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody thinks Hickey?

This is getting weird for mine.
Agree it's weird, but although he was pretty good last week for Sandy, Longer is going from strength to strength. While he's not the number one ruckman he needs to show he can add something forward or wait his turn.
It's pretty clear he's our number two ruck, and Longer probably will need a spell soon, but it's a pity Sandy left him to freeze at full-forward today. Took some grabs but no goals. I noticed that Joffaboy wondered if he may have hurt his back - hopefully not.
Nevermind, he's a tough (big) kid. His day will come and he'd better be ready when it does.

Last edited:
Nobody thinks Hickey?

This is getting weird for mine.

not weird, Longer is holding his spot. Longer was great on sat best game yet imo. think he got a brownlow vote.

what's weird is Minch, get him in Richo the Saad experiment anit working

Richo please IN MINCH Out Saad.

Minch didn't play VFL today but other emergencies Hickey and Acres did. Wonder if he got an injury or something?

Had a bandage thing around his calf area in a photo after the clubs training in NZ.

Minch didn't play VFL today but other emergencies Hickey and Acres did. Wonder if he got an injury or something?

Had a bandage thing around his calf area in a photo after the clubs training in NZ.

might have to wait by the sounds of that

Robbo might be sore so either him of shenton can make way for webster, would also prefer to see jack N down back again.

Agree it's weird, but although he was pretty good last week for Sandy, Longer is going from strength to strength. While he's not the number one ruckman he needs to show he can add something forward or wait his turn.
It's pretty clear he's our number two ruck, and Longer probably will need a spell soon, but it's a pity Sandy left him to freeze at full-forward today. Took some grabs but no goals. I noticed that Joffaboy wondered if he may have hurt his back - hopefully not.
Nevermind, he's a tough (big) kid. His day will come and he'd better be ready when it does.

I don't think he is.

Their midfield dominated 3 quarters.

Being tall and getting taps isn't everything, I don't think he was really effective on the day. I think Cam Wood influenced the game more, 10 clearances is pretty decent for a ruck. Look at the clearance stats of guys like Murphy too.

Our mids tackled their backsides off cause their mids had easy possession.

not weird, Longer is holding his spot. Longer was great on sat best game yet imo. think he got a brownlow vote.

what's weird is Minch, get him in Richo the Saad experiment anit working

Richo please IN MINCH Out Saad.

Best game for him, but disagree its necessarily better than what hickey can potentially bring. He has the smarts, the ability to find space and do something with the footy.

I wonder if people will watch the replay and see it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back