Discussion Random Chat MegaThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here think that apple products are overpriced and overrated or are you all Apple junkies?
I don't see them as overrated really. They provide what they set out to on the tin.

Secondly, Apple is a cultural icon. iPod's and iPhone's are symbols of western capitalism. They're so embedded into our culture. To own an iPod is just 'one of those things'.

I personally like the aesthetic of Apple products as well. I have a 13" MacBook Pro (bought in February), an 80GB iPod classic (bought three-ish years ago), and today an iPhone. I like the interface of their products. I could never use anything but Apple for a computer. For design, for websites, for art, and for browsing... it is so essential for me.

I like the look of Apple products as well. People pay extra for art. Why not pay extra for well designed computers? Something we all use every day? I don't see it as overpriced (although it is). It's just the general level of a pretty much monopolistic company and product.

Saying that, their products can be prone to faults. Everyone knows a dozen people who have bad experience with Apple products. Of course this occurs for every manufacturer, regardless of what they sell. But it seems Apple do suffer a little more.

I also resent Steve Jobs a little. He has no regard for the health and safety of any Apple employee. Those in third world countries are subjected to such horrible conditions – an example being the mass suicides in an Asian office. To counter this, Apple put up "suicide nets"...

Jobs' lack of philanthropy is very disappointing. He did pioneer some cultural icons. He changed the face of technology. But I don't see him as a hero or legend. He hoarded his money. He killed off all of Apple's philanthropic projects they had prior to his seat at the helm. In comparison to Bill Gates, Jobs was a greedy, poorly dressed, arrogant businessman.

Then again, I'm doing an Arts degree. And if you don't have a Mac when doing an Arts degree, you might as well not be there... and you can forget about getting cute girls who are into art unless you have a Mac...

Well said mate, if someone doesn't want to pay the extra for the design and quality of a mac then they don't have to but they shouldn't just complain about it.

Oh and here are my teams:

Ok here are my teams:

AFL: Collingwood
SS/ODC: Victorian Bushrangers
BBL: Melbourne Stars
ANZNL: Melbourne Vixens
NRL: Melbourne Storm
A-League: Melbourne Victory
SRU: Melbourne Rebels
ABL: Melbourne Aces
NBL: Melbourne Tigers
V8's: Absolutely no interest. If I had to pick one it would be Holden.

International leagues:

NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers
NHL: No alliance. Gretsky was cool
NFL: No alliance, really want to start getting into NFL though.
MLB: San Franscisco Giants. Saw them live last year.
EPL: Manchester City
SPL: Hearts
La Liga: Barcelona
Serie A: Inter
F1: Again, no interest in motorsport.

All international contests: Australia

hey Jethro another Knicks fan!! I have finally found someone who follows New York in the NBA!! woo-hoo, still not happy about the loss to golden state today :(

ohh and Gibbsy, jump on the cards mate!!!

Gibbsy if you go for Collingwood you'd go straight to the Pats. "Winning culture," the other teams despise them, doing well this season etc. Or maybe the Packers.

Bowakawa, I love your avatar. Curb is my favourite show. And Larry David is a hero of mine.

I don't understand, nor see the point, of having a team in every competition. It seems a little absurd to have a team simply for the sake of it. I support Fremantle and Arsenal. I hope South Freo do well, but I'm not a fanatic. I mean, how much attention do you pay for a third or fourth most enjoyed league?

You all seem to support highly successful teams as well. You're all disappointments.

Teams:

AFL: Carlton
ODC: Redbacks
BBL: Adelaide Strikers
Netball: Adelaide Thunderbirds
NRL: no one.
A-League: Wellington & Adelaide
SRU: No one
ABL:Adelaide Bite
NBL: Adelaide 36ers
V8's: Ford

SANFL: Sturt
WAFL: Claremont
VFL: Bullants

NBA: Don't really have a team.
NHL: New Jersey
NFL: no one
MLB: Detroit
EPL: LIverpool
SPL: Hearts
Serie A: Napoli
La Liga: Barça
Greek SL: Olympiakos Pireaus
International: 1st Greece 2nd Australia.

Bowakawa, I love your avatar. Curb is my favourite show. And Larry David is a hero of mine.

I don't understand, nor see the point, of having a team in every competition. It seems a little absurd to have a team simply for the sake of it. I support Fremantle and Arsenal. I hope South Freo do well, but I'm not a fanatic. I mean, how much attention do you pay for a third or fourth most enjoyed league?

You all seem to support highly successful teams as well. You're all disappointments.
Man, I absolutely love your avatar too haha :thumbsu:
Curb's my favourite show too, seriously hope Season 9 ends up happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn and Tassie Tigers are the only teams I follow passionately. Oh, and the national cricket team of course. The Hurricanes are also a team I'm getting really into.

I support Storm in NRL, only because I distantly know Cooper Cronk. I don't usually watch that many NRL games though. I go for Tottenham and Portland Trail Blazers as well, but I don't get into it as much as I would like to. That's something I'm working on.

I thought you supported Portland?

That was a sort of phase lol. When I felt like jumping off the Cavs because they were so s**t, and I played the hell out of 2k11 looking for a fun team... I liked Portland. But then I looked at all the Cavs merchandise that I already had (tees, shorts, even giant teddy bears haha) and decided that I may as well stick through the tough times. :thumbsu:

Man, I absolutely love your avatar too haha :thumbsu:
Curb's my favourite show too, seriously hope Season 9 ends up happening.
Well, demand will always be there. The ratings are strong, and grew substantially for season eight. HBO also love their shows to pick up awards and critical acclaim. Curb Your Enthusiasm certainly delivers that as well.

And on top it's also a very, very, very good show.

There were nearly two years between seasons seven and eight. Lar has enough money, and network pull, to do whatever he wants at his own speed. I anticipate a season nine to start filming at the top end of 2012, or early 2013 – personally earmarking an August 2013 return.

And I'd probably consider a tenth and final installment as well.

It's weird to think this show could go longer than Seinfeld...

That was a sort of phase lol. When I felt like jumping off the Cavs because they were so s**t, and I played the hell out of 2k11 looking for a fun team... I liked Portland. But then I looked at all the Cavs merchandise that I already had (tees, shorts, even giant teddy bears haha) and decided that I may as well stick through the tough times. :thumbsu:

A fair weather Collingwood supporter? Never!:p

Of course you stick through the tough times.

If plush toys and cotton is the thing binding you to a team, I wouldn't say that is true support.

Apple just have the class and credits in my book. It's like buying a Sony over some japanese brand just because it's more trustworthy (even if you pay more).

I don't see them as overrated really. They provide what they set out to on the tin.

Secondly, Apple is a cultural icon. iPod's and iPhone's are symbols of western capitalism. They're so embedded into our culture. To own an iPod is just 'one of those things'.

I personally like the aesthetic of Apple products as well. I have a 13" MacBook Pro (bought in February), an 80GB iPod classic (bought three-ish years ago), and today an iPhone. I like the interface of their products. I could never use anything but Apple for a computer. For design, for websites, for art, and for browsing... it is so essential for me.

I like the look of Apple products as well. People pay extra for art. Why not pay extra for well designed computers? Something we all use every day? I don't see it as overpriced (although it is). It's just the general level of a pretty much monopolistic company and product.

Saying that, their products can be prone to faults. Everyone knows a dozen people who have bad experience with Apple products. Of course this occurs for every manufacturer, regardless of what they sell. But it seems Apple do suffer a little more.

I also resent Steve Jobs a little. He has no regard for the health and safety of any Apple employee. Those in third world countries are subjected to such horrible conditions – an example being the mass suicides in an Asian office. To counter this, Apple put up "suicide nets"...

Jobs' lack of philanthropy is very disappointing. He did pioneer some cultural icons. He changed the face of technology. But I don't see him as a hero or legend. He hoarded his money. He killed off all of Apple's philanthropic projects they had prior to his seat at the helm. In comparison to Bill Gates, Jobs was a greedy, poorly dressed, arrogant businessman.

Then again, I'm doing an Arts degree. And if you don't have a Mac when doing an Arts degree, you might as well not be there... and you can forget about getting cute girls who are into art unless you have a Mac...

Well said mate, if someone doesn't want to pay the extra for the design and quality of a mac then they don't have to but they shouldn't just complain about it.

Wow, sorry guys just realised that came out a bit wrong, as if I was slamming Apple and their products :eek: Was just trying to make general conversation and see what sort of opinion people have on this topic. Certainly wasn't complaining about people who spend more money on 'overrated' and 'overpriced' products. I understand that people have certainbrands that they prefer over others and suit differently for people's needs but for my own interest (i don't know all that much about this sort of technology myself :eek:) what the differences between the products and why certain people prefer Apple over other brands. Don't get me wrong, Apple make some great stuff but from what I've heard from some 'experts' is that from a technicality pov they are overpriced in many areas, thats all :) As I said in my previous example, my brother's mate who works in a phone store has told me that the perceived opinion that the iPhone is the pinnacle of all phones is utter vs now and that he wouldn't ever go near buying one when there are phones with similar or even better specifications available for cheaper prices. As I said, good on everyone who's got one, they're bloody good products, but I was just interested as to exactly what the hype behind them was and what justifies the extra few hundred bucks for some people :thumbsu:
Actually heard myself that macs are better than windows but at the same time I'm happy with what I've got, know how to use it properly and does the job perfectly for ny own uses. No need myself to change, especially when my parents still pay for my computer(s). I don't want to be greedy or anything. Also have an ipod and probably wouldn't really go past it for another mp3 player, however I dont ever listen to much music myself so it's not a big priority for me. I must however admit I am a little anti-apple in some respects. With this ipod I'm talking about, it was one of the many 'dodgy' products whixh they've sold over the years. The batterys never really worked properly and holds nowhere near the same charge as my brothers, which is identical.

Anyway, enough pointless rants for one night, I'm buggered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back