Rank the Geelong 07-11 stars

Remove this Banner Ad

The top 10 is very tough to pick. So many good players there.

1. Matthew Scarlett
2. Gary Ablett
3. Joel Selwood
4. Joel Corey
5. Jimmy Bartel
6. Steve Johnson
7. Corey Enright
8. Cameron Ling
9. Paul Chapman
10. Brad Ottens

Ablett should be top without question. Johnson in the top 5 (constantly underrated by Geelong fans) and Enright doesn't make top 5 (constantly overrated by Geelong fans.

Ablett
Scarlett
Selwood
Johnson
Bartel
Chapman
Enright
Well if you are ranking based on total output across those five seasons (rather than average output per game, or maximum output in any given game), then absolutely it can be questioned that Ablett should be top. The five names you have below him there all played in an extra premiership and 20-odd more wins.

As a Hawk supporter

Elite

Ablett, Selwood, Scarlett, Bartel, Ling, Taylor, Johnson

Good

Chapman, Rooke, Wojcinski, Enright, Milburn, Corey, Ottens, Kelly, Lonergan, Mooney, Hawkins, Mackie

Making up the numbers

Varcoe, Hunt ,Stokes, Byrnes, Harley, Egan, Duncan, Christensen, King, Podsiadly, Blake & West

It's tough to do, if I had to do it just taking in those 07-11 years then where to put Ablett as he missed that last important year, what about Scarlett and Ling who were finishing up their careers near the end, what about Selwood who was much lower on the ratings in the first few years compared to later on due to his age and experience.

I'm just going to rank them on their careers (also taking inti account how i think they will end up) and not just those 5 years. Obviously some players can be placed anywhere, this is just my opinion :)

1. Ablett
2. Scarlett
3. Selwood
4. Enright
5. Johnson
6. Taylor
7. Chapman
8. Bartel
9. Hawkins
10. Corey
11. Ling
12. Ottens
13. Milburn
14. Kelly
15. Mackie

Leaving it at 15, so I think Hawkins by the end of his career will be seen to have had a better career than the players behind him. I left the cut off at 2007 drafted players. I reckon Duncan could turn out to be better than a few of those players. I rate him as a player.

Anyway that's just my opinion :) maybe I rate Chapman higher than most due to being a very good big game player and always hurt Hawthorn.

not enough respect for Ottens IMO
a superb ruckman who was also a danger when played forward, but a true ruckman who worked hard for his "little" men
definitely top 7 at least in the stellar list IMO

not enough respect for Ottens IMO
a superb ruckman who was also a danger when played forward, but a true ruckman who worked hard for his "little" men
definitely top 7 at least in the stellar list IMO

he's one of the great modern ruckman

he's one of the great modern ruckman
Agree
I've never been a fan of simple stats to judge a player & Ottens did lots of the grunt work unlike some other highly rated players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back