Opinion Ranking Essendon Rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's something fun I knocked up for bye week. I posted it on Twitter and someone suggested I should put it here.

It's a tierlist where you rank where teams sit in terms of their Rivalry with Essendon. Interesting to see what everyone thinks about different sides. You can create your own here:

Post yours below.

I recorded a video putting mine together here

Nice. Also you forgot Dunkley going to Brisbane. I reckon that counts.

1- Schadenfreude level loathing
2- Sick of these campaigners beating us in weird circumstances and their chosen mouthpieces being arseholes all the time.
3- Teams we respect (Bris, Geel), or who were level 2 but are sinking back into irrelevance (Melb, Tigers, West Coast).
4- Average and boring, haven't done anything notable for eons
5- Wouldn't notice if they weren't there

my-image.png

For me, Carlton is definitely most despised. Beyond that, it is probably Coll and Hawks next. I only really consider those 3 as being proper rivals. And then the rest with maybe a who cares attitude to Suns as they have been so meek and harmless. If it was based on supporters, Norf is probably 2nd behind Carlton since I have been using BF. What a bunch of campaigners.

For me, Carlton is definitely most despised. Beyond that, it is probably Coll and Hawks next. I only really consider those 3 as being proper rivals. And then the rest with maybe a who cares attitude to Suns as they have been so meek and harmless. If it was based on supporters, Norf is probably 2nd behind Carlton since I have been using BF. What a bunch of campaigners.

I genuinely didn't care about North until BigFooty, now I only care about beating them because their BigFooty supporters are such numpties.

I genuinely didn't care about North until BigFooty, now I only care about beating them because their BigFooty supporters are such numpties.
I really didn't mind them. Used to like watching them back in the 90s. Hard, tough team with good scoring power and a good friend of mine followed them. Given we never played them in a GF and were on the right side of games like the comeback game in 2001 and the smashing of them in 2000 finals, I never had a reason to dislike them. Maybe if the 1999 GF that should have been had happened, it could have been different.

And then BF happened for me many years later.

I loathe the Eagles. I think the Bulldogs are irrelevant.

I would create a category for teams you don't mind or even like. The Lions, Suns, Demons and Port would be in this category for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FyjRynAaYAI2xJN

1686804886761.png

There's daylight between Carlton and the rest.

Pies and Hawks next because they're the Pies and Hawks, Adelaide because they get shoved down your throat when living in Adelaide, and Richmond because of what they achieved recently and their fans becoming insufferable (jealousy's a curse, it invokes glorious memories of how I imagine we were perceived once upon a time).

Last edited:
hate hawthorn/carlton most.
don’t like collingwood or the dogs or the lions.
i watched a lot of melbourne games when they were s**t due to living with a dees supporter so I have a soft spot for them, ditto st kilda to an extent.

A few have forgotten about 2001.
They were a good team and we had run out of steam. 99 was the one that got away, not 2001. Losing to Pies in '90 hurt because we were the ones that let them win after 32 years and how ever many GF losses. We won in 2000 so 2001 didn't hurt so much. '83 didnt hurt so much because we came from the EF and then avenged it all in 84 and 85.

They were a good team and we had run out of steam. 99 was the one that got away, not 2001. Losing to Pies in '90 hurt because we were the ones that let them win after 32 years and how ever many GF losses. We won in 2000 so 2001 didn't hurt so much. '83 didnt hurt so much because we came from the EF and then avenged it all in 84 and 85.
Losing a grand final to a team doesn't by default make it a rivalry. I don't feel anything in the leadup to a Lions game other than hoping we win or, more recently, hope we don't get beaten too bad.

It was another Leigh Matthews masterclass getting one over Sheeds (just like 90). Any lost GF should sting. We just happen to have had a few more even painful ones :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back