Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

The pressure at times was immense. So good to watch. But feeling flat after all the injuries. Cox and McDonald both long term with no replacements

Only seeing a mere handful of a team as "de last yoofs who is still strugglin' from yoofiness", that are still a smidge off of having developed tank and strength. But after many years, we now have almost a full best 22 that are developed. After this match, we should hardly see other teams getting as physical off the ball trying to intimidate kids that have put up with for years.

Headology is such a huge thing in this game. The start of the match, the Lions were dictating terms with their pressure, while we didn't get overly fumbly, we let them corral us, we kept handballing into tighter and tighter spots from pressure leading to a turnover. But, well done, we broke that mindset. Later, when Worner went down, we went into our shells for a while - but broke out of that mindset. So, well done to the leadership.

The injuries to Worner, McDonald and Cox suck, but all of those were tough luck, but that's footy I guess. I thought it was intentional to get Jye into the goalpost after disposal (was never going to close enough gap to spoil Jye's kick).

Well done lads, before the fixture came out, I couldn't see Brisbane going down to anyone by 4 goals in round 1 - and we did it.

• Alex Pearce playing better than any games I can think of from last year; back towards his best
  • Jackson was an understated star, heaps of hitouts, possessions and a couple of goals from ruck thankyouverymuch.
  • Amiss kicking four goals without even really breaking a sweat
  • After going into the ruck, Treacy started to just win contests around the ground
  • Young, Serong, Fyfe, Brayshaw midfield looked like something that can compete with the best teams. Serong might have been a bit messy with some of his disposals but make no mistake the sheer volume and the defensive marks will make oppositions think twice.
  • Sharp looked good as the fat side wing in his first game.
  • Banfield looked composed playing on the other wing, kicked the first goal and then went back when Worner went down and did a good job. Think we will see him on the wing again next week.
  • Johnson played a bit in defence, did some good stuff but also still did some silly things that gave away free kicks
  • Worner and McDonald were solid; shame about the head knock and the (i am guessing) hyperextension.
  • I am not sure the Cox gamble played off; he obviously wasn't 100%, he did some good things against Andrews but now he is out for a while - I still think it would have been better to go with Voss first up (and if I was a betting man I was going to guess that Cox would get injured), but I understand why they did.

We looked like we are suited to the wide open spaces of Optus oval. Freddie, sharp, banners, Walters and switta all covering ground. Strange day for Emmett he just couldn’t get into it. Hayden Young a bit quiet also.

We looked like we are suited to the wide open spaces of Optus oval. Freddie, sharp, banners, Walters and switta all covering ground. Strange day for Emmett he just couldn’t get into it. Hayden Young a bit quiet also.
Emmett had four score involvements from five disposals. Didn't do much but what he did worked.

Young did bite off some very tough kicks today. Was impressed with him even though he didn’t get 30+

Awesome win! One of the most enjoyable to watch in recent times. Was getting plenty of stuck and ridicule from fans of other groups in the group chats at quarter time - told them all to go eat a bag of dicks after the game!

In terms of negatives and positives, I’m sure it will be well covered this week on here but in brief

• amiss and Treacy clinical. So good to see. Absolutely LOVE to see it. Career best game from JT potentially
  • I’m one of Banfields biggest critic 😂 but he really grew into the game and played a great role players match. Can he find that consistency though?
  • peak Brayshaw returned in the second half (thank god - I was getting concerned)
  • Serong was everywhere
  • jackson was great in front of the sticks too
  • Swittas block. * I love that stuff
  • Pearce was superb. Captains game

Negatives
  • the first quarter, ugh. We won’t get away with that every week.
  • some of our skills are off at times. Handballs to players feet a lot or behind them to stop the forward momentum in handball chains. Everyone culpable at stages nearly.
  • we were let off the hook in the last quarter by some frankly shocking misses by Lohmann, Cameron and Hipwood. More composure needed by all there.
  • the injuries, obviously

It’s a great start. But we have to win against north now next week and back it up. The classic freo thing recently is to s**t the togs the moment that old devil “expectation” arrives back into the dressing room. It was very much absent today, but will be there in force next Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome win! One of the most enjoyable to watch in recent times. Was getting plenty of stuck and ridicule from fans of other groups in the group chats at quarter time - told them all to go eat a bag of dicks after the game!

In terms of negatives and positives, I’m sure it will be well covered this week on here but in brief

• amiss and Treacy clinical. So good to see. Absolutely LOVE to see it. Career best game from JT potentially
  • I’m one of Banfields biggest critic 😂 but he really grew into the game and played a great role players match. Can he find that consistency though?
  • peak Brayshaw returned in the second half (thank god - I was getting concerned)
  • Serong was everywhere
  • jackson was great in front of the sticks too
  • Swittas block. * I love that stuff
  • Pearce was superb. Captains game

Negatives
  • the first quarter, ugh. We won’t get away with that every week.
  • some of our skills are off at times. Handballs to players feet a lot or behind them to stop the forward momentum in handball chains. Everyone culpable at stages nearly.
  • we were let off the hook in the last quarter by some frankly shocking misses by Lohmann, Cameron and Hipwood. More composure needed by all there.
  • the injuries, obviously

It’s a great start. But we have to win against north now next week and back it up. The classic freo thing recently is to s**t the togs the moment that old devil “expectation” arrives back into the dressing room. It was very much absent today, but will be there in force next Saturday.
I think another negative that hasn't been mentioned is that we went sideways too much instead of going forward. That was mainly a first half thing though.

Loved the game, hated the injuries.

Strong wax awesome, the tall forwards killed it, Tracey kicked his highest score yet, and bugger me he earnt it.

If I have one complaint, it's that JL keeps throwing key defenders up forward to fill a forward line hole, and it never fcuking works. He did it with Moose last year (or the year before), he never looked hugely composed, and moose went and got injured as a result. Now he did the exact effing thing with Cox for the same effing result. If you don't train someone as a key forward during preseason, then don't effing ask them to do it with no practice, no warning, and no preparation. It's just fcuking stupid.

You play as you train -- full stop. If you want more forward swingman options then have Cox train that way during the pre-season. FFS!!
Cox did spend time training as a forward this preseason though.

So after I stopped shouting at the TV after Banfield's goal....

Treacy and Amiss in a couple of years will be the best forward duo in the league

Pearce BOG for mine, could have been 7 or 8 goals down if not for him.

Worner is replaceable but OMac and Cox down will test the depth, not entirely sure who will replace OMac down back.

Fyfe's presence makes life easier in the midfield for Young, Serong and Brayshaw.

The real morale breaker, at the end of the second half and Clarks pinpoint kick to Amiss.

And let's not giveaway 4 goal starts.

Just read the game day thread.
How come in the first 11 pages when we were going s**t there were multiple calls on Longmuir & he was basically to blame for everything?
Yet wasn’t mentioned once after when we started to get on top?
If it’s just the players who get us back in it, it’s also the players who gave us the crap start.
That first 20 minutes is all on the players, as a coach there’s not much you can do when there are multiple brain farts by the players.

Very very proud, beating last years runners up & so much to improve on.

Have not seen the game yet but any game where you beat a reigning grand finalist when down 3 men thru injury has got be a good 'un.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back