Autopsy Rd 2 Carlton v Richmond Rant thread *no lurking likers*

Remove this Banner Ad

He was out of his feet deep in the pocket in the last quarter. Rushed kick
But the shot on goal in the second quarter was an absolute shocker.

Still, his ruck work was very very good.
Agree with you - others in the 22 that will come under greater scrutiny.

In all this frustration it's hard to see past the rushed kicks, missed goals, turnovers etc.

We played 1 and a half quarters of excellent footy and nearly overran them after being down 6 goals. It's so disappointing but FFS it's round two, it's not the end of the world. Bet the dopers next week and suddenly it all looks a bit better with the Dees and the Dogs in the following 2 weeks. 3-2 would not be a shocking start to the season.

Loss the bombers next week though and questions have to be asked though :oops::confused:

Pull your head in. Jamison an F? You clearly did not watch the game - he was one of our best and held Riewoldt to 1 goal (from a flukey pack mark IIRC). I think we will be OK - we are on the right track, the players of the future are gradually getting more game time and we are showing flashes of quality football. I feel the next 22 we field deep in September will be vastly different to what anyone expected however. Expecting Graham, Holman, Temay, Cripps, Cachia, etc along with the likes of Menzel, Lucas, Bell and Buckley to really stand up. If he can get his body right, I rate McInnes as a versatile backman, refer to pre-injury form.

Will Bootsma make it? I hope so. I feel once he has a bit of confidence and strings some decent games together (Preferably AFL) he will be fine.
I agree with you kicked ourselves out of it. Exciting brand of football gradually bringing in kids that we have future plans for. Still believe we are a finals team and that kind of experience is invaluable.

Starting to see good in our set up even if some players do s**t themselves sometimes

We played pretty well for the first 20 odd minutes of the last quarter and just hung in there for the rest of the game. It doesn't seem like we have progressed at all. It's all well and good to say we are only 2 rounds in, players need match fitness (not like the other 17 clubs) and plenty of footy to go, but on the back of our performances I haven't seen anything to get excited about! We had no composure for a lot of the game, we panicked under pressure and the majority of our set shots were woeful.

I'm pretty worried of when we actually play a quality side. I hope we can get it together before then! If not the club better be working on getting some players like frawley and tomlinson and pipe dream fyfe (if gibbs doesnt sign surely we would have the $$$) 10 year deal anyone???

Tell me the last time you have seen us have a horrible first half and be down by more than 5 or so goals?

The fact that we don't just give up in a game that we start horrendously and then have just one good quarter which gives us a chance to pinch it means we are improving, slow improvement, but improvement none the less.

Gone are the days where the game is over for us at quarter time, gone is the days where a horrendous first half means a 80 pint drubbing, gone are the days when we get 5 goals down and can only slow down the scoring of the opposition from there, these days we at least fight back and score at some point.

Hopefully, we continue to improve and actually keep the pressure and scoring up for the whole game or most of the game at least.

Bring in Cripps
Inside
Hurt Watson
Go mongrel old school
Line in the dirt girls

Basic skill errors cost us, along with the fact that we were so damn predictable in the first half. In the second we started using the corridor and what do you know... Unfortunately our skills didn't improve enough.

Positives - murph yarran bell menzel warnock Buckley hendo played great games

Bell is a beast - needs time to get his head right and polish up his kicking. If he does, watch out

MEB I wasn't keen on Thomas either but I will give him most of the season too get back into the swing of AFL. Being out for two years will have taken its toll. Maybe Tuohy is finding fatherhood and playing a bit tough, he could be carrying a slight injury or just tired. I actually didn't mind Rowe or White tonight you can't bring players in for one week and expect them to gel right away they need a few weeks to play together. Did Watson not play due to the weather?

Sorry but not sure I agree with you about Bell.

Thought he had a terrible game tonight.

And moving forward, I just can't see him improving enough to become a top level midfielder. Lacks pace, has horrific skills and no composure/awareness.

Let's stop this constant backslapping of players (and I know it's our way of showing support for our team) but what does he offer our team?

A big strong body that's hard to move around the ball and once he learns how to use the footy will be a hard match up for the opposition.He hopefully can end up being a Mundy,Kennedy,Watson type that we have lacked! Hopefully young Cripps can develop into another type of midfielder like this as well so they can feed the likes of Murphy,Thomas,Simpson as outside runners.

Basic skill errors cost us, along with the fact that we were so damn predictable in the first half. In the second we started using the corridor and what do you know... Unfortunately our skills didn't improve enough.

Positives - murph yarran bell menzel warnock Buckley hendo played great games

Bell is a beast - needs time to get his head right and polish up his kicking. If he does, watch out

Sure our skills were shocking, sure our goal kicking was shocking, sure our commitment in the first half was shocking, sure our team work in the first half was shocking, sure our pressure in the first half was shocking BUT for all that we still could have hit the front with 5 minutes left.

People can bang on all day about how our first half and our shocking skills all day is what cost us, but that only cost us a big win.
In the end we could have pinched it, every thing that happened before Whaite missed the shot that could have put us in front ends up meaning jack s**t in this particular game because we were in a position to win it.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe that we need to improve our skills vastly and our commitment and pressure if we want to get somewhere in this season, but in this particular game, every thing that preceded the Whaite shot on goal at the end turned out to be meaningless because we could have won right at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deflated - yeah
Defeated - Nah

We're a fortnight into the year, 2 finalists have clipped up us, and reckon there's a few we are as good as.

I never give up on my boys..............................................Essendon time.

Get a bit selfish about the club, as it's MY club right now, everyone is jumping off, not me.

Never give up on the Blues people, never!!!!!!

You kicked 14 behinds , so did we. You kicked 12 goals, we kicked 14. Simple as that really.

WOW, you just want to ignore the last quarter where we had the ball in our forward line basically the whole quarter?
Where we kicked 3.7 and put 2 shots out on the full?

Not to mention that most of our misses were easy shots at goal that should always be goals.
We missed about 8 or more set shots from 25-35 metres out, pretty much directly in front, while you guys were arsing them from every position of the ground.

Really, still want to compare your behinds with ours? Still want to make out that we shouldn't have won if we only had the basic skill of kicking straight from directly in front?

Sure our skills were shocking, sure our goal kicking was shocking, sure our commitment in the first half was shocking, sure our team work in the first half was shocking, sure our pressure in the first half was shocking BUT for all that we still could have hit the front with 5 minutes left.

People can bang on all day about how our first half and our shocking skills all day is what cost us, but that only cost us a big win.
In the end we could have pinched it, every thing that happened before Whaite missed the shot that could have put us in front ends up meaning jack s**t in this particular game because we were in a position to win it.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe that we need to improve our skills vastly and our commitment and pressure if we want to get somewhere in this season, but in this particular game, every thing that preceded the Whaite shot on goal at the end turned out to be meaningless because we could have won right at the end.

Last time I checked goal kicking was a skill. We had them on toast and we should've put them away, but we didn't.

You kicked 14 behinds , so did we. You kicked 12 goals, we kicked 14. Simple as that really.

We had countless out on the fulls as well. The behinds we kicked were much easier shots on goal than yours... we really should have converted most of them.And those two goals Ellis kicked....boy oh boy... he reached that far into his rectum to pull those out that he was almost picking food out of his teeth

MEB I wasn't keen on Thomas either but I will give him most of the season too get back into the swing of AFL. Being out for two years will have taken its toll. Maybe Tuohy is finding fatherhood and playing a bit tough, he could be carrying a slight injury or just tired. I actually didn't mind Rowe or White tonight you can't bring players in for one week and expect them to gel right away they need a few weeks to play together. Did Watson not play due to the weather?

I like White. I like him much better than McInness. Funnily enough the rain stopped as soon as Watson was withdrawn. Ground looked completely dry too.

That Jeppy miss is going to haunt me.

That first half was some of the worst football we have played in a long time. On par with the big Collingwood loss last year.

What I'm struggling to decide it whether or not we could've come back like that against any other side than Richmond. I just have this feeling that had it have been any other team we would've been crap the whole game.

But nonetheless the fight back was good to see.
Take a bow Murph.
Yazz - we already knew about his offensive game, but his defensive game is improving exponentially & it's all starting to click I reckon.
Menzel is clutch. That goal. We need to find a way to get him into the game more. Everything he does is magic but just not enough of it.
Buckers was just FUN to watch. It's been a while since we have had a kid have such an impact on a game.
From the game I thought Robbie was good. Certainly miles better than Hampson. Of course that blunder in the dying minutes was shocking but s*** happens.
Jamo - all class again. I seriously thought that was a goal. I was up jumping about thinking 'this is it'. And then I hear 'it was a point love, sit down' :( But seriously the CFC cheersquad is meant to tell me if it is goal or not & they all went up. No fair.
Daisy coming along slowly, but nicely.
Lucas the perfect sub - versatile & just runs. Got burnt a number of times when he was in space & players just wouldn't give him the ball & instead either fumbled or turned it over.

Don't know what was going on with Gibbs. He'd be thanking his lucky stars that 50 from the kick-in didn't end in a goal. His goal was good but he would've gotten us closer to a win had he played in the middle like we know he can.

Tuohy hasn't been the same since he got injured against Norf in the preseason. Is he carrying it still? Heaps of strapping on that knee. We need to Tuohy to get back into form quick.

Robbo - drives me insane.

Brock, needs a run in the 2s. Just totally out of form. Graham is a PERFECT replacement.

I can't decide about Rowe's game. He take a great mark in defence and then kick it into the man on the mark. Or he would take a mark up forward within scoring distance but choose to pass it & end up turning it over. Pretty ok in the ruck though.

I am convinced Hampson thought he was still playing for Carlton when he & Grigg collided.

Overall, as I said in my post on the premiership window thread, it sucks we lost but what makes me angry is this game is just another indication that we are at a crossroads & the club needs to acknowledge it so we can move forward. I just don't think the club & the supporters are on the same page about where the list is at. IMO we need to go backwards to go forwards. At the moment we're just treading water.

But just remember - no one can EVER take that final away from us.

Last time I checked goal kicking was a skill. We had them on toast and we should've put them away, but we didn't.

Yes goal kicking is a skill, and even though we missed a big amount of the easiest set shots, we still had a chance to hit the front with 5 min left.

All I am saying is that even though we played like a bottom of the ladder team for half the night, we still could have been in front and won it.
So every thing we did bad throughout the game becomes meaningless in this particular game because we could have overcome our horrendous skills and bad goal kicking and lack of pressure and still won it.

These things need to be improved upon, no doubt but in this particular game it, they did not cost us a win (except for the last 5 min) as we could have been in front towards the end.

Plenty of positives out of the game. I'll sleep tonight and not wake up screaming like I did when we played Port. Very important to start well and finish well. We didn't start well and were busting a gut to make up the difference for the rest of the game. I've never thought that the footy season started in March. As they say "it's no use being a March champion". April will be better:thumbsu:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back