Autopsy Rd 2 Carlton v Richmond Rant thread *no lurking likers*

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes goal kicking is a skill, and even though we missed a big amount of the easiest set shots, we still had a chance to hit the front with 5 min left.

All I am saying is that even though we played like a bottom of the ladder team for half the night, we still could have been in front and won it.
So every thing we did bad throughout the game becomes meaningless in this particular game because we could have overcome our horrendous skills and bad goal kicking and lack of pressure and still won it.

These things need to be improved upon, no doubt but in this particular game it, they did not cost us a win (except for the last 5 min) as we could have been in front towards the end.

This actually makes the loss worse for me. We didn't get beaten by an amazing side who completely towelled us up a la Hawthorn, we weren't dominated around the ground...we just can't ******* kick. And that's the whole point of the game!
We could have, SHOULD HAVE, won by a comfortable margin. That does not sit well with me.

Yes goal kicking is a skill, and even though we missed a big amount of the easiest set shots, we still had a chance to hit the front with 5 min left.

All I am saying is that even though we played like a bottom of the ladder team for half the night, we still could have been in front and won it.
So every thing we did bad throughout the game becomes meaningless in this particular game because we could have overcome our horrendous skills and bad goal kicking and lack of pressure and still won it.

These things need to be improved upon, no doubt but in this particular game it, they did not cost us a win (except for the last 5 min) as we could have been in front towards the end.
It's a moot point. We didn't win it in the last five minutes and the reason we didn't is bc we made stupid errors. Even if we had've won there is a long way to go I. The skills department. Win lose or draw we need to polish up or we will get blown away by decent teams.

Forgot to add - I don't think anyone expected us to run the game out so well. Definite improvements in our fitness since round 1.

I think it was deliberate tactic by the team.

Our tactic IMO was not to let Tigers run around the field in the first half with no pressure, I think the tactic was to not run around in circles chasing Tiger players when they would get the ball into space.

I think this because at one point we let a Tiger play who got away into space just basically stop dead in his tracks and stand there while we waited for him to kick it forward. This I think was the tactic to try and preserve some legs for the final half.

Weren't the only one! And the Jeffy one to...

The team that supposedly never lets you down really does get me excited for nothing a lot. I'll be back there next week though :D

They drive us crazy - but I would't have it any other way. Sticking fat through the tough times is what makes the good times so much better.

Question, Is Malthouse always that erm.."dry" in post match interviews? I've watched both from this year and wow I expected him to start shanking some of the reporters.

It's a moot point. We didn't win it in the last five minutes and the reason we didn't is bc we made stupid errors. Even if we had've won there is a long way to go I. The skills department. Win lose or draw we need to polish up or we will get blown away by decent teams.

You are right, we didn't win in the last 5 min and but the first half of footy while disappointing was not the thing that lost us the game.

We came back and had a chance to win.
Jeffys abysmal shot, and all the other misses didn't cost us the game, it was the last 5 min that technically cost us the game.

Like you said we need to work on the things we did poorly in the first half if we want to salvage this season, but ultimately those things didn't cost us tonight, our last 5 min cost us.

We had countless out on the fulls as well. The behinds we kicked were much easier shots on goal than yours... we really should have converted most of them.And those two goals Ellis kicked....boy oh boy... he reached that far into his rectum to pull those out that he was almost picking food out of his teeth
I can't help but think those goals by Ellis and the job he did on Bryce was the difference tonight in a very ordinary game of footy by both sides. If either side makes it above 7th this year I'll give it away. Both teams can count themselves lucky they have soft draws this year. Great game though in the end!

You are right, we didn't win in the last 5 min and but the first half of footy while disappointing was not the thing that lost us the game.

Jeffys abysmal shot, and all the other misses didn't cost us the game, it was the last 5 min that technically cost us the game.

Like you said we need to work on the things we did poorly in the first half if we want to salvage this season, but ultimately those things didn't cost us tonight, our last 5 min cost us.
Could not disagree with you more.

It all cost us. The game is a lot longer than 5 mins of one quarter

You
I think it was deliberate tactic by the team.

Our tactic IMO was not to let Tigers run around the field in the first half with no pressure, I think the tactic was to not run around in circles chasing Tiger players when they would get the ball into space.

I think this because at one point we let a Tiger play who got away into space just basically stop dead in his tracks and stand there while we waited for him to kick it forward. This I think was the tactic to try and preserve some legs for the final half.
you guys had us tied down for an awfully long time. I was so scared we would lose because it would of been the worst loss we have played in dice the Wallace and Walls days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but think those goals by Ellis and the job he did on Bryce was the difference tonight in a very ordinary game of footy by both sides. If either side makes it above 7th this year I'll give it away. Both teams can count themselves lucky they have soft draws this year. Great game though in the end!

I don't agree, because basically even with Ellis's goals and the fact that he completely s**t down Gibbs, we still had a chance to take the lead with 5 min left.

Ellis surely contributed to getting you guys into a comfortable lead, bur ultimately his efforts are not what won you the game, it was our 3.7 in the last qaurter and the last 5 min that won you the game because scores were level towards the end.

I don't agree, because basically even with Ellis's goals and the fact that he completely s**t down Gibbs, we still had a chance to take the lead with 5 min left.

Ellis surely contributed to getting you guys into a comfortable lead, bur ultimately his efforts are not what won you the game, it was our 3.7 in the last qaurter and the last 5 min that won you the game because scores were level towards the end.

our habit of letting the tigers get 5 goals in front and then reeling them back in was bound to end in disaster one day. We need to play four full quarters, not just the last five minutes, or we're never going to succeed.

Judd, Kreuzer, Carrazzo, Docherty to all return fit from injury. Walker back next week. Menzel and Buckley to be regular fixtures in the side. Yarran and Murphy in great form. We'll work it out. Will it be too late when we do? Depends on your expectations for this year I guess.

It all cost us. The game is a lot longer than 5 mins of one quarter

It all cost us by the fact that we ended 23 points down at the last change but we nearly overcame it.

Once the scores were level, its like the whole game started again.

Anyway, hopefully we start better next time and hit the front early and stay in front.

It's frustrating for us too. How can we beat the Hawks and Freo and play like that against a team that is on the rebuild. Fair dinkum you guys have the wood on us something shocking.

I think we with you guys we feel like we are never out of the game no matter how bad we start.

But its not only you guys, last year we gave up the same kind of leads to a lot of teams, but always mounted a comeback, sometimes pinching the game and other times falling short.

We mounted comebacks against all the top teams last year as evidenced by the fact that our biggest losing margin for the year was about 3-4 goals even though we had bigger deficits during a lot of games.

Not commenting on the game, just wanted to throw a thank you out to all those that participated in the discussion and banter threads on our board, made it a really good lead up to the game and reminded everyone what Round 1 is supposed to be like. :thumbsu:

Not even a Carlton fan, but i was furious with Garlett.
I swear he missed 3 of the easiest shots on goal Carlton had. Granted one of them hit the post. How can you guys give him a pass? He was terrible.

EDIT: in fact two of them hit the post, but one of the posters was from 5 metres out.

Judd, Kreuzer, Carrazzo, Docherty to all return fit from injury. Walker back next week. Menzel and Buckley to be regular fixtures in the side. Yarran and Murphy in great form. We'll work it out. Will it be too late when we do? Depends on your expectations for this year I guess.
They are some serious positives and I think Mick knows it. He's shuffling the deck chairs at the moment and don't be surprised to see Graham added to that group. He's after pace and foot skills and he's not far away from a winning formula I reckon. I hope the board relaxes. Just watched his press conference and he got it right at every moment. The poor bloke should be on suicide watch after tonight but he said what needed to be said IMO

They are some serious positives and I think Mick knows it. He's shuffling the deck chairs at the moment and don't be surprised to see Graham added to that group. He's after pace and foot skills and he's not far away from a winning formula I reckon. I hope the board relaxes. Just watched his press conference and he got it right at every moment. The poor bloke should be on suicide watch after tonight but he said what needed to be said IMO
His comments on game time and match fitness where interesting to me too...

Watch this space he has something in store for our playing group.

Can I just say that even though it had nothing to do with the result of the game, the umpiring non-interpretation of dropping the ball rule is a real blight on the current game.

Happened multiple times to both teams, players would get wrapped up in a tackle and drop the ball without disposing properly, and the umps never blow the whistle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back