AFLW Rd 6 Geelong vs Fremantle Sat. 9th March @ GMHBA, 2:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to the Freo girls - handed out hats to the crowd with youngsters grateful to receive them. Some of their players are now signing autographs - so they may be away from home but they are showing appreciation to the crowd as is the crowd in return

Also, full credit to the fans who came out today

Not a great performance from the players, but they were given a standing ovation from the Brownlow Stand as they left the field after the last home game

You could see the disappointment on the players faces, but they still deserve recognition for they season to date

Also, full credit to the fans who came out today

Not a great performance from the players, but they were given a standing ovation from the Brownlow Stand as they left the field after the last home game

You could see the disappointment on the players faces, but they still deserve recognition for they season to date

Win next week, and we could still host a home final, couldn't we?

I suppose that high-intensity, tackle happy game style takes a lot out of you.

Didn't seem to last week. Maybe that was because we were getting rewarded for our tackles more.

Freo looked a much faster outfit esp up forward eg ball out the back.
Was abit worried esp after halftime if they were allowed to keep that style of play going.

The cats girls were not very clean today l reckon it cost them at least 6 shots on goal.
They also dropped quiet a few easy marks and missed some easy target esp coming out of the backline.
Imho the team needs at least 1 but 2 would be better fast crumbing forward types would work well with Boydy phobes and darbs.

I wish the ump would pay the clear cut holding the ball.

I suppose that high-intensity, tackle happy game style takes a lot out of you.

Lots of tackles can mean that you spend most of your time on the ground simply chasing bum.

Win next week, and we could still host a home final, couldn't we?
Just checked and our percentage took a hit today after we did well to boost it last week

Cats: 12 points, 74.2%
Carlton: 8 points, 89.6%
Lions: 8 points, 71.4%

With Carlton & Lions playing each other this weekend, we'll probably find ourselves in 2nd spot unless it's a close win to the Lions that doesn't give their percentage a boost

Next week it's Pies vs Lions (Victoria Park) and Bulldogs vs Blues (Whitten Oval)

I believe we'll need to win next week to play finals as I'm not sure we can safely rely on both Blues & Lions to lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting how we've won all our games thus far against teams in Conference B, but have been well beaten by teams in Conference A. Bodes well for next week, but not so much for the week after.
Has anyone in Conference B had a win over a team in Conference A?

Just got to be seat after the fan portal experience - while up there we were joined by Teague, Morrison, Van De Heuvel & one more I didn't recognise.

Morrison had surgery last Thursday (in assuming that means last week and not 2 days ago). Compression bandage over the top, but no crutches or any additional support - has been doing some gym work, but it's also about taking her time and doing things right.

Teague is hopeful of being back next week for our clash with GWS. Did have a joke because one of the other fans there is also from the basketball and he commented, "nothing's changed, you'd put your hand up that you were ok to play when you were on one leg", which Teague agreed with. She did look to be walking freely, so hopefully it's some tightness and the weeks rest will do the trick.

McWilliams is all good after double finger dislocation - Teague said it was a good look on Thursday when they tried the match strapping for the first time; the hand is strapped like a birds claw, think Star Trek

Sounds as though this was a pretty unique experience C09 - did you get any sense of when Sophie VDH will be back? Also, any guesses on who the 'mystery' player was ..?

As you commented during the game, perhaps McWilliams' strapped bird claw hand inhibited her marking somewhat - she was certainly impeded.

Sounds as though this was a pretty unique experience C09 - did you get any sense of when Sophie VDH will be back? Also, any guesses on who the 'mystery' player was ..?

As you commented during the game, perhaps McWilliams' strapped bird claw hand inhibited her marking somewhat - she was certainly impeded.

Looking at the 4 players who came into the room, Morrison was the only player with a noticable injury & that's only because of the strapping/bandage over the knee.

Looking at Teague & Sophie they seemed to be moving quite freely, so hopefully for both of them it's only one week & nothing long term. With Sophie she didn't seem to have any extra strapping around the ankle nor any noticable limp; so hopefully that's a good sign.

Teague did introduce the other players (so pissed off I can't remember the others) - you can see her experience coming through, how she is comfortable talking to others etc, pretty easy to tell why she is in the leadership group. I did laugh because I had been chatting with Teague (I tried to keep out of the way but she said hi to me so I went over to chat at that stage), and then she excused herself to try and talk/mingle with others in the room, so I asked a question of the youngsters about who is the noisiest in the rooms & it was Teague yelled out before anyone else could answer.

I'm thinking the 4th was maybe Bec Webster, because I did see the 2 emergencies in the room in full gear (warm up tops rather than playing guernseys the only thing that differentiated them). It was someone young

Looking at the 4 players who came into the room, Morrison was the only player with a noticable injury & that's only because of the strapping/bandage over the knee.

Looking at Teague & Sophie they seemed to be moving quite freely, so hopefully for both of them it's only one week & nothing long term. With Sophie she didn't seem to have any extra strapping around the ankle nor any noticable limp; so hopefully that's a good sign.

Teague did introduce the other players (so pissed off I can't remember the others) - you can see her experience coming through, how she is comfortable talking to others etc, pretty easy to tell why she is in the leadership group. I did laugh because I had been chatting with Teague (I tried to keep out of the way but she said hi to me so I went over to chat at that stage), and then she excused herself to try and talk/mingle with others in the room, so I asked a question of the youngsters about who is the noisiest in the rooms & it was Teague yelled out before anyone else could answer.

I'm thinking the 4th was maybe Bec Webster, because I did see the 2 emergencies in the room in full gear (warm up tops rather than playing guernseys the only thing that differentiated them). It was someone young

That's really cool - and hopefully you're hunch is right about the short-term nature Teague and Sophie VDH's injuries too; can see a few changes being made after the loss today.

In terms of how our players are fairing in the AFLCA votes:

McDonald - 12 (5 v Pies, 5 v Dogs, 2 v Blues)
Cranston - 12 (5 v Blues, 7 v Lions)
McMahon - 11 (8 v Blues, 3 v Lions)
Morrison - 10 (v Pies) :cry:
Darby - 10 (v Lions)
Purcell - 8 (1 v Dogs, 7 v Lions)
Keryk - 3 (1 v Pies, 2 v Blues)
Boyd - 1 (v Pies)
Taylor - 1 (v Blues)

Round 3 against the Crows is the only match we didn't have a player pick up any points, and not sure we can argue with that

I've started a spreadsheet, I'll keep it going for the rest of the season so we can keep track of how the teams going

I think it's safe to assume that if we didn't get any coaches votes in the Crows match, that we are virtually zero chance for votes from the clash against Freo

We handball backwards too much and lack pace. Caris is quite ordinary too.

At least we have a dip but we couldn't sustain it in the last half but the fitness will come after another pre-season.

Still a fair effort considering. And we can still play finals which will be a massive achievement.

Leading possession winners:

McDonald 22
McMahon 17
Purcell 15
Cranston 14
Garing 13

Needed way more out of Cranston and Purcell in that 2nd half, but both were hardly sighted. Troubling signs when your two leading possession winners play on the last line of defence.
Spent most of the second half off the ground. That was part of the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back