Realistic timeframe

Remove this Banner Ad

Not entirely convinced by this argument. While there is no doubt we had a contested ball focus, I'm not sure that we want to prevent all scoring in a game, just the oppositions.... Plus, not sure we need this thread derailing at such an early stage...
Sorry probably should have said player style rather than playing style- more so our penchant for tall versatile players who aren't particularly fast or skilled but can win contested ball and have great awareness.

Didn't realise I was derailing anything either- just responding to the previous post. Happy to let it drop regardless.

Sorry probably should have said player style rather than playing style- more so our penchant for tall versatile players who aren't particularly fast or skilled but can win contested ball and have great awareness.

Didn't realise I was derailing anything either- just responding to the previous post. Happy to let it drop regardless.

Not a problem mate, you have explained what you meant. It's just nice occasionally to have a discussion without people bogging every thread down with the same stuff, so please dont take offense.

the way we're going it could be as late as 2017 before this team starts to hit its straps. Just an observation and opinion

the way we're going it could be as late as 2017 before this team starts to hit its straps. Just an observation and opinion

How many bargin basement Essendon players were you planning on picking this year ??? :p I mean, after Heppell and Carlisle, I'd intended to stop ? :D;)

How would games played compare? We have given quite a lot of younger blokes games they probably didn't deserve at the time, but the aim of that was to push development. So is there an optimum number of games played to be at your peak and would this push the timeframe out or bring it in?

I kinda get the feeling that it could happen all of a sudden, ATM it all seems that we are slowly improving, this year we were in games longer and did more things better but still let ourselves down at times. Realistically we are tracking towards 2018-19 as stated in this thread, but I get the feeling that is could just all happen at once.

Personally i believe we should be comparing our trajectory very much with Gold coast, a list very similar to ours, but better balanced. Why i was disapointed this year as i think we Should have been challenging for the eight this year. Winning a couple of the close games this year ( which was very possible) could have put us there. Ifs buts and maybe's, it is what it is though.

If we have to rely on the draft to fill in the missing parts such as a power forward, then I am thinking 2020 as it takes 4 to 6 years to develop a tall forward into a consistent high level performer.

If we are able to attract a gun power forward through the trade period or free agency, then it could be as early as 2017.

1. Durdin/Lever - Key defender will absolutely be a need and both will fall in that 23-27 bracket. Tick.
2. Sam Reid - Key forward CLEARLY a massive need. He will play 2019 as a 27 year old. Tick
3. Garlett - Small forward a need. Will be 30 in 2019. Cross.
4. Carlisle - Massive need. Will play 2019 as a 27 year old. Massive tick.

Totally agree with this. I would switch 1 with Wright as our priority for our first pick though. If we were able to secure Reid and Carlisle over the next couple of years, we would be looking VERY solid at both ends.

How many bargin basement Essendon players were you planning on picking this year ??? :p I mean, after Heppell and Carlisle, I'd intended to stop ? :D;)

We'd be giving up a lot for either one of those players. Carlisle is someone we'd want ASAP given the chance

Not entirely convinced by this argument. While there is no doubt we had a contested ball focus, I'm not sure that we want to prevent all scoring in a game, just the oppositions.... Plus, not sure we need this thread derailing at such an early stage...
I thought his game style was based on the Managatang 2nds

we will challenge when Libba, Wallis and that draft year are 28-30 years old. That's a complete list turn over and we have been drafting well for that time frame. Still need lots more luck but I think its on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be giving up a lot for either one of those players. Carlisle is someone we'd want ASAP given the chance

Sorry mate, was being a bit optimistic and obtuse at the same time.

Optimistic in hoping for a quicker return to finals action than you were suggesting, obtuse by linking any upcoming ASADA issues at the Dons with why we weren't making finals for a while - we had obviously picked up Daniher, Heppell, Carlisle, Merrett, Hooker etc... Will try to be less cryptic next time...

Sorry mate, was being a bit optimistic and obtuse at the same time.

Optimistic in hoping for a quicker return to finals action than you were suggesting, obtuse by linking any upcoming ASADA issues at the Dons with why we weren't making finals for a while - we had obviously picked up Daniher, Heppell, Carlisle, Merrett, Hooker etc... Will try to be less cryptic next time...

haha, well.. We wouldnt say no to Carlisle given the opportunity, would we... ;)

Thanks to MC Extra Dollop Geelong's 2002 Playing List
Gary Ablett: The son of arguably Geelong's greatest player starts his AFL career under more pressure than any youngster trying to break into senior ranks this year. Has already received counselling and formal advice about how to cope with increased attention. Boasts the same name as the former Cats' champion, but the similarities probably end there as Ablett junior is a much different type of player to his famous father. His best football with the Geelong Falcons has been on the ball, but he does enjoy getting close to goal.

James Bartel: Local youngster who was Geelong's first pick (No. 8 overall) at the 2001 AFL National Draft. A tall midfielder, Bartel comes to the Cats with an outstanding junior record - he was captain of Victoria Country at the 2001 AFL National Under 18 Championships, is a dual under-18 All-Australian and was runner-up in the Geelong Falcons best and fairest in 2001. Hails from St Joseph's College in Geelong and is viewed by the Cats as a long-term prospect and a future leader.

Paul Chapman: Enters his third year at senior level with some encouraging performances under his belt and should be ready to make an impact. Played nine games in 2001, adding to his four in 2000, and is a fairly rugged utility who can play forward or on the ball. Has already incurred a couple of suspensions in the VFL and must be careful not to build an unwarranted reputation.

David Clarke: A genuine speedster who has now pushed past the 50-game mark, Clarke has virtually established himself as a regular player. Had played 44 games in succession to the start of 2002 and was Geelong's leading kick-getter with 246 and was second in total disposals (376). Hails from a football/athletic background and while his speed can be an asset, his disposal can be a worry.

Joel Corey: Talented young midfielder still finding his way after two seasons of senior football that have yielded 19 games. Played the first 10 games in 2001 but managed just four more and sometimes struggled with the tempo and physical pressure that AFL football demands. Has wonderful skills and poise and given his lofty status in the 1999 AFL National Draft - he was the No. 8 selection overall - the Cats would be expecting him to be a regular senior player.

Corey Enright: In a disappointing year for the Cats, Enright emerged as the biggest plus displaying all-around skills, poise and class in his 17 senior games. Won an AFL Rising Star nomination late in the season and was named Geelong's best first-year player. Likely to be given more time on the ball in 2002 where his pace and marking will be a big asset. Has been touted as a future leader.

Ben Graham: Endured a frustrating season as captain in 2001 and was even advised by Mark Thompson not to be so hard on himself. Was used more in attack and booted 33 goals to be the club's equal leading goalkicker. The Cats are attempting to groom younger players for key defensive roles which indicates Graham's career will more than likely be played out as a forward and, perhaps, as a back-up ruckman. Always gives the impression that there is a big performance up his sleeve.

Tom Harley: Has not missed a game since making his debut for the Cats in Round 14, 1999, and has gone on to be one of the club's most effective defenders. Does a great job nullifying opponents and is well respected for his commitment to team principles. Good overhead and can play on tall or small forwards, even though he does not win a stack of possessions. Finished fifth in Geelong's best and fairest last year.

Joshua Hunt: Strong, powerfully built youngster who was Geelong's only selection in the 2000 AFL National Draft. Played six games, including the last four, and showed he has the physique and the ability to play at the highest level. Will be given more time to develop but his build suggests he could be a midfield option, particularly with a penetrating left-foot kick.

Steve Johnson: Crumbing forward who has fine disposal and was one of many young players taken by the Cats in the 2001 AFL National Draft. Former Murray Bushrangers star who will be given plenty of time to develop. Caught the eye at the 2001 AFL National Under 18 Championships, winning All-Australian selection

James Kelly: Quick midfielder who enjoyed team and individual success last year with the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup. Played in the Cannons' premiership side and was runner-up in the club's best and fairest. Rounding off a big year, he played for Victoria Metro at the 2001 AFL National Under 18 Championships.

Steven King: The Cats suffered a big blow in round 11 last year when their young No. 1 ruckman limped off with a knee injury that sidelined him for the next six games. Had been in good form to that stage of the season, with his four-goal last quarter effort against Richmond in round nine a standout, Returned in round 17, but looked proppy and struggled at the centre bounces. Going on his 2000 form and his first half of 2001, he should be ready to lead the Cats' big man division again this year.

Cameron Ling: Emerged from a group of young players being groomed by the Cats to stake a strong claim as a future star. Played 13 games, but missed the last four with an ankle injury - but not before confirming he is a bright prospect. Played run-with roles on players such as Ben Cousins and Scott West and was an AFL Rising Star nominee in round 12. Not quite big enough to play in a key position, but is strongly built and has a great desire to continue improving.

Tim McGrath: Following the retirement of Garry Hocking, McGrath is now Geelong's most experienced player but is probably facing his last season at this level. Has been a wonderful competitor for the Cats after an unspectacular career with the Kangaroos over three seasons. Was overlooked for the first five games last year but still finished ninth in the best and fairest and did not always have the pressure of picking up the opposition's best forward due to the emergence of Matthew Scarlett and Tom Harley.

David Mensch: Completed his 10th year at senior level last year but it was not one of his better ones. Tends to make a habit of playing one good year, followed by a poor one and Geelong fans will be hoping he can bounce back in 2002. Was dropped late in the season (rounds 19 to 21) and was suspended for one match in the forgettable round 22 clash against Carlton. Turns 30 this year and needs a big season to hold his spot on the list.

Darren Milburn: Spoiled an otherwise consistent season when embroiled in a controversial incident in the round 22 match against Carlton at Optus Oval. Collected Stephen Silvagni with a crude tackle that earnt him a three-match suspension. Was Geelong's leading possession-winner with 2009 and seemed to have found his niche as a running defender. Turns 25 shortly after the start of the 2002 season and will pass the 100-game mark this year.

Cameron Mooney: Another Geelong player who fell foul of the AFL Tribunal with two suspensions costing him a total of five games. The second, a three-week penalty after the round 19 game against the Kangaroos drew public criticism from his coach, Mark Thompson. Must control his aggression because he showed when he took over from the injured Steven King that he can play, either in the ruck or up forward.

James Rahilly: Made a slow start to the 2000 season but was a regular from about the halfway mark and was given the chance to run with some quality midfielders, Has been on the AFL scene for four seasons and should be confident enough now to really establish himself.

Peter Riccardi: Had a terrible run with injuries in 2001, siffering various setbacks including a strained thigh, a fractured cheekbone and an achilles strain. Missed seven games in total and the Cats missed his drive and finishing skills. Completed his 10th season with the Cats and starts 2002 needing just one game to reach a well-deserved 200-game milestone.

Brenton Sanderson: Capped off a wonderfully consistent 2001 by winning the club's best and fairest after finishing third in 1998 and 2000. Has overcome many setbacks, including being dumped by Adelaide and Collingwood and dropped at one stage from the Geelong side in 1999 to be a reliable and dependable defender. His resolute style won him a place in the Australian side for the 2001 International Rules Series.

Matthew Scarlett: Tough young defender who took his game to a higher level in 2001, finishing second to fellow defender Brenton Sanderson in the best and fairest. Has made a big effort to build himself up and can play a lot 'taller' - as evidenced by his blanketing of St Kilda big man Peter Everitt in round two. Has helped to release Ben Graham to forward line duties, potentially giving Geelong a more solid look in attack.

Brad Sholl: Rebounding defender who fell victim to a knee injury late in the season and missed the last three games. Had not been his usual prolific self before then and did not finish in the top 10 in the Cats' best and fairest. Played his 150th career match, and his 150th for Geelong, during the season and his experience will be very handy.

Jason Snell: Suffered one of the most horrific injuries of recent seasons when he broke his lower leg after attempting a markand landing awkwardly against Melbourne in round three. Had been in good form until then and many felt he was on the verge of becoming a topline forward/midfielder for the Cats. After surgery to repair the break, Snell has gone through a long and intensive rehabilitation process.

David Spriggs: Looked ready to step up as Geelong's No. 1 midfielder following the retirement of Garry Hocking but faces the prospect of missing most of 2002 because of a serious knee injury. Damaged his anterior cruciate ligament in the off season and his loss is a cruel blow for the Cats who were grooming him for big things at senior level. Had a great start to the 2001 season but his form started to taper and he was dropped for round 21 before earning a last-minute reprieve.

David Wojcinski: Quick defender with good rebounding skills but a knee injury at the start of 2001 set him back . Missed six games then lost his spot but did return for the final four matches and should claim a regular senior berth if he can stay injury free. Appears to be in Geelong's long-term plans.

Marc Woolnough: The very fact that Woolnough returned to football was a bonus for player and club, even though his comeback was limited to the VFL. After a tentative start - hardly surprising given he has missed the past two seasons - he managed 15 games and was named emergency for the seniors in round 22. Should be ready to start the new season with plenty of confidence.

Andrew Carrazzo: Young midfielder and high possession winner from the Oakleigh Chargers. Was considered unlucky not to be picked up in the 2001 National Draft, particularly after being selected in last year's All-Australian Under 18 side.

Jarad Rooke: Another second-year rookie player, Rooke is a promising type who can play at either end of the ground.
Great get.

What's that, 12-13 All-Australian standard players who would be part of the next 8 years of finals campaigns? With Ottens, Selwood and Hawkins still to come in.

I'm counting 7-8 on our list at the moment, 10 if being optimistic. Unfortunately it's possible that the teams we'll be competing with at the top end might even have more than what Geelong had.

So we need about 5 more.

2 we'll probably get via big trades or FA while in the mix for a premiership.

So bottom line (how I see it anyway), is that we need at least another 3-4 All-Australian standard players drafted in. Nailing the top 10 picks is the first avenue, but with an eye on maintaining (and extending) premiership time frames, IMO giving yourself as many opportunities as possible to get top shelf kids on to the list is a thumbs up, trading good draft picks for second tier 25-26 year olds is a thumbs down.

Gotta say, unless an amazing opportunity came along, nothing would make me happier than to go in with 3 top 30 picks this year.

Still can't see why we can't be there abouts from 2016 onwards. Footy changes to quickly to be forecasting predictions 5 seasons ahead. I think a 10-11 win season for 2015, make the 8 in 2016 and be a serious challenger by 2017.

I know it doesn't always happen this easily but effectively we are having a stab in the dark with this one. Port were looking terrible this time 2 years ago and this season should have played in a GF. It can all turn very quickly.

With Jones going we've been pushed back another year or so.. We have no KPF's and its going to either take us getting a ready made one through trade - or hope to hell we can get a bit of luck with drafting.

With Jones going we've been pushed back another year or so.. We have no KPF's and its going to either take us getting a ready made one through trade - or hope to hell we can get a bit of luck with drafting.
With the output we got from Jones would we be any worse off trying Roughy and Roberts rotating through there?

With the output we got from Jones would we be any worse off trying Roughy and Roberts rotating through there?

Stagnate or progress. Throwing them both on the forward line could be disastrous but I think Roughead could emulate his cousin as a Ruck/forward.

I havet seen much of Roberts but from what I have seen I think he is more suited to a KPD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back