Movie Recommend a movie for me thread

Remove this Banner Ad

l dont want to steal the thunder of the op.but can anyone recommend me some good thriller,homicide,serial killer type movies.

Summer of Sam is pretty interesting for a serial killer movie.

My "idea" of a cliche is anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.

I didnt mean the definition of the word, I meant our 'idea' of what is a cliche and what isnt.

IMO. A Shakespeare style tragedy is a film where the events fatefuly transpire against the main characters to ultimately produce a tragic result and to me that is not a cliche.

Whereas Shawshank redemption is just one cliche after another for 2 hours.

The Boston Strangler (1968) is a bit dated and is hardly a factual account, but still, it is an okay couple of hours

"Jack the Ripper" (1988) with Michael Caine is a really good 3 hours viewing, unfortunate that the solution to the mystery presented has been rebuked successfully.

Sibel Kikkelli when she is wearing the short hair (wig?) in the final act.

and she actually was a pr0n actress in real life, but more than the Traci Lords in Melrose Place, Kikkelli is a phenomenal actress, pity she got a nose job.

Bild did a number on her when this information came out, the worst smear they could get away with:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Police Acadamy 1-6

It's been great that Go and Foxtel have been showing heaps of these over the past couple of weeks. :thumbsu:

I watched the third last week :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:, it's funny the last time i watched them all (not including the 7th - mission to moscow, that movie scarred me for life when i first watched it and i swore to never watch it again), i thought i was finally over the franchise.

The jokes just didn't hit the mark like they used to and i watched them a lot during the 90's and early 00's... (that was probably the issue - the fact that i saw them so much. Unlike The Naked Gun trilogy or Wayne's World that remain funny REGARDLESS of amount of times watched, the jokes just fall flat after awhile i guess).

But i watched the third via GO and i laughed at the jokes again :D.

just stepped out of We Need To Talk ABout Kevin.

It was not Rudd.

But equally shite. Dont know how anyone could see this beyond the piece of crap it was. No one found it a little demeaning to the audience, how heavyhanded overbearing and unwieldy. Overwraught X 3. Less is more director, needed a third of the exposition.

Every scene was scripted like Dawson’s Creek, and blocked out like some structured modernist cinema art. But it was not. Thought the scriptwriter in Dawson’s Creek got a bollocking for making 16yo’s talk like Yale English Grads. The 7-8 yo was talking like John Stuart Mill for godssake. IQs outa their backsides.

See, I can get this, Sophia Coppola’s Suicides works on the fable and allegorical level, so one gives a berth to dramatic tension. But this was trying to master tension. And only made me feel like Tilda Swinton did in the third act when John See Reily in Boogie Nights form is pounding her and she is looking to the ceiling. This was how I felt, each reveal mastered absurd and hyperbole and cliche in gestalt. Manages to accomplish that, cos that is something.

am curious:D to know the directors vision when in the latter part of the film, she changes the adolescent boy, and marries Tilda morphing their physiognomy to both appear androgenous.

Think She, think the director was a woman, was saying something about the repressed violence from Swinton and her life choices the character had made. Final shot sort of alluded to this, because finally Swinton took the power from her son. In all the last shots of them together, for the last 15 mins of the film, tell me who looked more masculine? Tilda did. This was great art design, wardrobe and makeup. :thumbup:

I like my androgyny like Commercial Road on Saturday Night
*facetious

Killer Elite - An Australian made action thriller with a pretty impressive cast of local and international stars such as Jason Stratham, Clive Owen, and Robert De Niro (of all people). It is suppossedly based on a true story for some revenge killings done as a result of UK SAS soldiers killing the sons of a Sheik in Oman in the 80's.

This film had all the potential for failure but it was in the end a very well written and executed action thriller. As good, if not better, than what we see come out of Hollywood. It was interesting to see an Aussie film production that took on Hollywood at what it does best.

worth a look 7/10

I watched the third last week :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:, it's funny the last time i watched them all (not including the 7th - mission to moscow, that movie scarred me for life when i first watched it and i swore to never watch it again), i thought i was finally over the franchise.

The jokes just didn't hit the mark like they used to and i watched them a lot during the 90's and early 00's... (that was probably the issue - the fact that i saw them so much. Unlike The Naked Gun trilogy or Wayne's World that remain funny REGARDLESS of amount of times watched, the jokes just fall flat after awhile i guess).

But i watched the third via GO and i laughed at the jokes again :D.

Gene, Gene made a machine, and Joe, Joe made it go, Art, Art blew a fart and blew the whole damn thing apart.

The King Of Comedy is his best performance IMO. Flawless and fascinating.

Seriously underrated movie and I agree with your assessment
1970s is my preferred genre and I would strongly recommend the following films:

The Conversation
The French Connection
Z
A Woman Under The Influence
Barry Lyndon
Two Lane Blacktop
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie
Rolling Thunder
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie

I'm a huge fan of 70's crime. Thought I was the only person with a serious love of "The Friends of Eddie Coyle".

I'd add "Straight Time" starring Dustin Hoffman and based on an Ed Bunker story.

Struggled with Two Lane Blacktop, except when Wazza Oates was busy stealing every ****in' scene he was in

I'd add "Straight Time" starring Dustin Hoffman and based on an Ed Bunker story.

Very ****ing interesting dude is old Ed. I've just started reading Mr Blue and was looking to check this out.

On topic, State of Grace is a fairly handy crime flick from the early 90's with Sean Penn, Gary Oldman and Ed Harris doing some nice work as a bunch of screwed up Irish hoods in Hells Kitchen.

Props for the guy who mentioned Nil by Mouth, btw.

In the storm of all this Joseph Kony saga, I'd like to know of any good African-rebel/war movies. I like the Arnie one (collateral damage I think) and I'm aware of blood diamond but haven't seen it. So one similar to CD would be good, but I'm open to all suggestions!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back