Recommend me a tablet

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, looking to get a tablet for general family use and wanted to get people's thoughts before I buy.

The one thing I really want is a usb port so I can play video from an external drive but apart from that I'm not too fussed about a retina display or the ability to run office or anything like that.

Any thoughts?

I dislike Tablets in general - they're nowhere near as useful as my laptop, and don't offer anything outside of what my phone can already do. In fact, I believe my phone may be better spec wise over most of the current in-market tablets. The Windows tablets are often far too expense, you'd be better off getting a laptop for a much lower price.

In saying that, I was able to pick up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 relatively cheaply through work. I bought a keyboard bluetooth case for it, and the missus loves it. She uses it for readings and other uni work. Android can now support Microsoft Office which is nice, but I reiterate, it cannot offer me anything that my phone and laptop already do.

I dislike Tablets in general - they're nowhere near as useful as my laptop, and don't offer anything outside of what my phone can already do. In fact, I believe my phone may be better spec wise over most of the current in-market tablets. The Windows tablets are often far too expense, you'd be better off getting a laptop for a much lower price.

In saying that, I was able to pick up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 relatively cheaply through work. I bought a keyboard bluetooth case for it, and the missus loves it. She uses it for readings and other uni work. Android can now support Microsoft Office which is nice, but I reiterate, it cannot offer me anything that my phone and laptop already do.

It depends on what you want out of it. Tablets are much more portable, and given most people just view email, web pages, and candy crush they're fine, and crap like that doesn't require too much CPU power. People like the extra screen real estate they have over a phone too. If you're typing a lot then a laptop is a hell of a lot better, the keyboard cases/addons for tablets are pretty horrible. If you're doing anything other than basic tasks then a full blown laptop (or Surface) are the only way to go as they're much more capable/expandable.

Bumping for recommendations. Just made the switch to Android with my phone for the first time ever, having previously been with iOS for three or so years and prior to that a WP7 device in its infancy. Bought an LG G4 the other week and am loving it. The screen is remarkable.

So I'm after an Android tablet to complement that as I'll be travelling/backpacking across Europe for three months later this year. My current 13" MacBook Pro Retina is nice to use at home but it's of too much value and importance for me to lug around o/s.

Portability is therefore key, but given I've never used a tablet before (I've always thought they were pretty worthless if you had a laptop and phone at home) I'm really not sure what to look for. Should I get an LG tablet because I have an LG phone? 10" is probably the sweetspot for size I reckon, anything smaller and I may as well just use my phone.

Any feedback gladly appreciated :)

Bumping for recommendations. Just made the switch to Android with my phone for the first time ever, having previously been with iOS for three or so years and prior to that a WP7 device in its infancy. Bought an LG G4 the other week and am loving it. The screen is remarkable.

So I'm after an Android tablet to complement that as I'll be travelling/backpacking across Europe for three months later this year. My current 13" MacBook Pro Retina is nice to use at home but it's of too much value and importance for me to lug around o/s.

Portability is therefore key, but given I've never used a tablet before (I've always thought they were pretty worthless if you had a laptop and phone at home) I'm really not sure what to look for. Should I get an LG tablet because I have an LG phone? 10" is probably the sweetspot for size I reckon, anything smaller and I may as well just use my phone.

You have a good phone with a Quad HD screen. I'd question the need for a tablet at all. But if your keen on a tablet get the nexus 9. Not manufactured by LG but will always run the latest android and is reasonably priced. I guess the other mainstream option is the tab s2.

Agree with the above. Tablet may wind up to be a bit surplus to your needs as you have an excellent phone that will be better and more powerful than it. For example I have had a nexus 4 phone and 7 tablet for years and both are good but my next stop will be a phone much like yours to upgrade/replace both in one go.

That said if you must have a tablet that's 10 inches I'd be going for the Sony Xperia Z4 (or perhaps even Z2) or if you can afford it a Google Pixel C. If you're happy to play around and flash other roms to it then cheaper 2GB ram models like the Nexus 9 would be good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-Xpe...891444?hash=item25b5620b34:g:VkoAAOSwKtlWpD2W

Is an excellent deal I'd be snapping up quick if I were you.

Last edited:
I understand that my phone is pretty high end and has a great display, I'm just not sure I can spend 3 months never using anything bigger than a 5.5 inch screen!

In all likelihood I'll sell the tablet when I return from holidays - it'd probably gather dust at home next to my laptop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back