Red Army

Remove this Banner Ad

noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2002
allyourbasearebelongtous
AFL Club
West Coast
Can anybody give me any details on the red army? who are they? are they actually are cheersquad or just a marketing promotion for carlton mid? is anybody on this board a member?

i sit near these guys and i don't have a high opinion of them.

I figured they were football's equivalent of the Wildcats' "Uni Loonies". Apparently, in the case of the latter, donning a Hawaiian shirt and (if you're game) afro wig makes ya zany.

a couple of reasons

- they a mix of wannabe hardcore footy supppers that get tanked on mid strength.

- they are a marketing ploy. viral marketing to the max.

- they aren't so vocal when west coast have been getting pantsed in the last couple of weeks.

- red has nothing to do with west coast.

Originally posted by noodle
a couple of reasons

- they a mix of wannabe hardcore footy supppers that get tanked on mid strength.

- they aren't so vocal when west coast have been getting pantsed in the last couple of weeks.

Dont know much about them but you guys seem to have a very bad opinion of them. Maybe the next time Im in Perth I should get to a game and look out for these guys!

a couple of reasons

Think that answers your question nicely noodle.

how do they find members?

what incetives do you get to join?

how are they connected to the footy club?

Incentives - getting tanked on mid-strength :D

Other than that, maybe try asking one of them - don't they gather at the Vic before the game?

I think the thing that gets under most supporters skin (ok I am talking for myself) is the fact they wear red.

Why do they wear red? Because it is the colour of the sponsors beer. Certainly not because the Eagles are known by their red uniforms.

Therefore sponsor comes before team. That's a bit stuffed if you ask me and on that basis alone you've got to question the credibility of them as "supporters"; is it the eagles they support or is it carlton midstrength?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're ignorant also. I think I've told this story before, but well, here it is again.

Essendon-supporting mate of mine went to an Eagles home game last year. Probably early to mid season I guess. Anyway, he was making polite conversation with a couple of the guys in the Red Army, and commented "Hey, that Chris Judd looks like he's going to be great hey?' (I'd prepped him well see ;)). Anyways, these guys replied with "Chris who?".

He didnt talk to them after that.

Originally posted by llosis
I think the thing that gets under most supporters skin (ok I am talking for myself) is the fact they wear red.

Why do they wear red? Because it is the colour of the sponsors beer. Certainly not because the Eagles are known by their red uniforms.

Therefore sponsor comes before team. That's a bit stuffed if you ask me and on that basis alone you've got to question the credibility of them as "supporters"; is it the eagles they support or is it carlton midstrength?
yer the red thing pi**es me off as well

Anyone know how long Carlton Mid have this marketing sponsorship for? Have bumped into a few of them at the Wembley hotel (their free drink card place before the game) and they seem like a good sort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back