Rep footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all

First time poster on Big Footy, however i follow the Southern League with keen interest. The rep footy debate has got me thinking in regards to the set up. It appears to me that the players who chose not to play are generally a bit older and have played a fair bit of footy in their time.

Now this is just my thoughs and opinions, and dont expect everyone to agree with it. However i would suggest that maybe making the interleague match available to players under 27 years of age. My reasoning for this, is that after playing a lot of footy myself, as you get older you generally really look forward to week off. Also, there is a fair chance you have played a lot of footy and rep footy, your focus tend to lean towards being fit and healthy for the club you are playing with.

Being a bit younger, you want to play as high a level of football as you can, and no doubt representing your league ticks these boxes. It is a great oppurtunity for the younger guys in the prime of their local footy careers to play interleague and play with the other stars of their associated league.

But i do understand the thoughts of Jacobs, Quinn, Wheatley, Silver etc. who injured or not, would prefer the week off. I have no doubt that some players over 27 would also like to play and i commend them for that (this was just a random age). For instance i think it is awesome that Flack is not only playing but is captaining the side today. The guys is clearly in the best 22 in the league, and a gun!!

Just my 2 cents today!!

SFL 17.10.100
RDFL 8.7.55

Ordinary standard of footy but that is expected with so many top liners not playing. Mercoulia would have had 30+ touches, Flack was very good and Kirkland booted six. Thats about all.
If our league is to progress we need to somehow get our best players wanting to represent the league.

st.pauls beat city by 7 goals and only have 2 people in the side ! we have 3 and an emergency. so stop just trying to find an excuse to have a whinge. it's ****ing boring

Not looking for an excuse to whinge, just singled out the guys who have dodged rep. duties 2 years running.

Agree that at least City provided 4 players, but really not even close to your best 4. Better effort than East Brighton though who were apparently told not to play by their committee?:thumbsdown:.

When you consider a possible line-up of players who didn't play, it's a great effort to have won so convincingly. For argument's sake, how would this team have gone?

Williamson Carroll Roberts
Jacobs Douthie Johnstone
Ogier McIntyre Rafferty
Brannan Wheatley Poyas
Ridgeway Silver Jamieson

Quinn Larsen Horler

Hobley Barnes Davies Long Ott Mentiplay *Bruno?

Not looking for an excuse to whinge, just singled out the guys who have dodged rep. duties 2 years running.

Agree that at least City provided 4 players, but really not even close to your best 4. Better effort than East Brighton though who were apparently told not to play by their committee?:thumbsdown:.

When you consider a possible line-up of players who didn't play, it's a great effort to have won so convincingly. For argument's sake, how would this team have gone?

Jacobs Douthie Johnstone
Ogier McIntyre Rafferty
Brannan Wheatley Poyas
Ridgeway Silver Jamieson

Quinn Larsen Horler

carroll is in w.a working
johnstone and silver both injured
poyas returned last week after missing 5 weeks
quinn is overseas
jacobs' body just needs the rest
this time of year everyone is looking for a break

carroll is in w.a working
johnstone and silver both injured
poyas returned last week after missing 5 weeks
quinn is overseas
jacobs' body just needs the restis
this time of year everyone is looking for a break not to mention the cold weather

The WEATHER now??!! Not looking for an excuse to whinge are we???:p

Back on topic, there were some good things to come from the weekend's game. The performance of Davidson from Murrumbeena was great for a young guy, his 3rd quarter was very good. Also Bennett playing as a 19yo would have been good experience.

Jacobs Douthie Johnstone
Ogier McIntyre Rafferty
Brannan Wheatley Poyas
Ridgeway Silver Jamieson

Quinn Larsen Horler

You'd think that the above side would give the vafa or efl a decent game. There is no reward for players who play in this game.The players who take the week off get to rest their bodies and catch up with family and friends.

What can the SFL do to make this game more attractive to the top line players?

Maybe they could get some sponsors to give a Best on Ground prize or similar.

They should try to play one against the WRFL next year as the rivalry between SFL and RDFL is almost non existant. At least the WRFL are closer geographically.

Good experience for Bennett but was so far out of his depth it was frightening.

This is the best side the SFL could put out there, the players who didnt play on the weekend are in bold.

B: G.Johnstone (St Kilda City) D.Reiseiger (St Kilda City) A.Roberts (Chelsea Hts)
HB: J.Attard (Chelsea Hts) N.Carroll (St Kilda City) T.Downie (Chelsea Hts)
C: A.McIntyre (St Pauls) D.Jacobs (St Kilda City) J.Rafferty (St Pauls)
HF: D.Walsh (Chelsea Hts) P.Wheatley (St Pauls) E.Poyas (St Kilda City)
F: P.Smith (Chelsea Hts) M.Silver (St Kilda City) M.Fitcher (Chelsea Hts)
R: M.Quinn (St Kilda City) P.Mercoulia (St Pauls) D.Williamson (East Brighton)
IC: S.Ott (Cheltenham) R.Flack (Chelsea Hts) P.Larsen (East Brighton) M.Tasiyan (St Kilda City) P.Fermanis (Oakleigh Dist)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back