Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For us, the one that's probably going under the radar and would be rising up the ranks is Jack Sinclair (pick 1 in the 2014 rookie draft).

Was very good in his first year for us, playing forward pocket or thereabouts (came 3rd in our goalkicking), but then spent a fair chunk of last year playing in the midfield in the VFL and did very well consistently there and this year he's come in in R6 and landed on a wing (by chance apparently!), performed well there and has been very good there most of the time since (he's probably part of the reason we don't want to move Riewoldt back there to get McCartin in).

Isn't getting huge numbers (averaging 20 disposals per game), but it's what he does when he gets the ball in his hands that is so good. He is classy AF, very poised and good at working his way out of trouble, makes very good decisions, finds himself in the right spots and his disposal (on both feet) is first class. He's just someone you want the ball in the hands of at every opportunity, especially kicking inside 50.

If he was a couple of inches taller (he's approx 180cm) he'd have as much promise as just about anyone from this draft, given the amount of class and skill he has. Being shorter might mean he doesn't get as much of a look-in as he otherwise would have gotten on the inside, though, so it will be interesting to see what roles he plays going forward.

He's by our best pick from this crop

Hopefully Carts, Goddard and McKenzie sort their bodies out and start impressing with time

If I did the draft today I'd have the top 5 in the following order

Heeney>Petracca>Lever=Wright=Moore (depending on needs)

Heeney's potential is limitless as a midfielder, could be an even better version of Robbie Gray
Petracca noone really underrates/overrates him we all know his talent
Lever is a really good KPD with excellent skills but has had a few injuries and not sure he can take the gorilla key forwards, but very good against players like our Roo, mccarthy, jeremy cameron.
Wright and Moore very good, both excelling as centre half forwards who can pinch-hit in the ruck. Moore more athletic and take exciting contested marks with probably more potential, but Wright has been more consistent for a longer period of time.

Daylight after top 5. but at this point Collingwood and Sydney got huge steals (Heeney, Moore) from academy and F/S.
Heeney is a btter version than Robbie Gray? Grays kicked 42 goals from 24 games up a forward flank.

Petracca better than lever? I will take Lever over him any day of the week

Shameless Freo self plug but im pretty happy with where Blakely and Weller are sitting at the moment. Blakely in particular has had an awesome year and is looking better every game he plays. I can honestly see him reach the level of JPK if his progress keeps up.
I'd hoped we would get one of Blakely, Meadue or Lamb with our second rounder.
Ended up all three got drafted one after the other. Lamb probably the one that hasn't progressed at this stage.

Heeney is a btter version than Robbie Gray? Grays kicked 42 goals from 24 games up a forward flank.

Petracca better than lever? I will take Lever over him any day of the week
Read. He clearly said

"Heeney COULD be an even better version of Robbie Gray". Not sure about Petracca better than Lever tho, although he's entitled to his own opinion.

Heeney reminds me of Hird. Kid is special.

His 50m goal off one-step as the Swans pulled away in the 3rd quarter was very reminiscent of a big time player such as Hird.

Apart from his first game (back from glandular fever) has barely put a foot wrong.

1. Heeney
2. Petracca
3. Lever (3rd to Heeney and Petracca from a Carlton perspective - multiple young KD's, poor midfield depth - but is having a fantastic year)
4. Wright (clearly a top talent, gone backwards but not too concerning for a 2 meter tall ruck/forward)
5. De Goey (rising up quickly)
6. Daniel (has lost a bit this year, was in touch with the top 3 last year but now could be 4-6 any given week based on your own teams needs and 4-6 performances)
7. Blakely (in incredible form, could be top 5 by the end of the year)
8. Weller (would love him at Carlton)
9. Andrews (goes under the radar, could shoot up once the Lions climb the ladder)
10. Moore (talent is there, but just being pushed down under the weight of expectation and importance to the team. Needs time and patience from club/fans)

McCartin, Brayshaw obvious injury issues. McGovern playing a 4th fiddle + injuries doesn't help him. Miller is a good accumulator but not sure on his elite ability? McLean closing in on top 10. Likes of Langford, Cockatoo just don't have the performance to be in the conversation right now

edit: Missed Marchbank - think it's justified to have him 10th or 11th

His 50m goal off one-step as the Swans pulled away in the 3rd quarter was very reminiscent of a big time player such as Hird.

Apart from his first game (back from glandular fever) has barely put a foot wrong.

1. Heeney
2. Petracca
3. Lever (3rd to Heeney and Petracca from a Carlton perspective - multiple young KD's, poor midfield depth - but is having a fantastic year)
4. Wright (clearly a top talent, gone backwards but not too concerning for a 2 meter tall ruck/forward)
6. Daniel (has lost a bit this year, was in touch with the top 3 last year but now could be 4-6 any given week based on your own teams needs and 4-6 performances)
9. Andrews (goes under the radar, could shoot up once the Lions climb the ladder)
10. Moore (talent is there, but just being pushed down under the weight of expectation and importance to the team. Needs time and patience from club/fans)

McCartin, Brayshaw obvious injury issues. McGovern playing a 4th fiddle + injuries doesn't help him. Miller is a good accumulator but not sure on his elite ability? McLean closing in on top 10. Likes of Langford, Cockatoo just don't have the performance to be in the conversation right now

Love the recognition of Weller and Blakely obviously. It does get hard in judging KPF's in particular since you need a bit of crystal ball to judge potential vs what they have shown. I would personally swap Marchbank and Andrews and Moore and Daniel but like you said, it really is to each their own and i think its shaping as a great top 10

Has DeGoey really shown that much? I liked him when I saw him live vs Freo in his first year but since then he's never stood out much to me.

I've always taken an interest in him as he is part of what we gave up for Beams but I've seen plenty of Pies games where he's been deadset average.

Has DeGoey really shown that much? I liked him when I saw him live vs Freo in his first year but since then he's never stood out much to me.

I've always taken an interest in him as he is part of what we gave up for Beams but I've seen plenty of Pies games where he's been deadset average.
He's being largely played out of position imo, mostly at half forward where he is just ok, whereas he shines as a clearance player. He only got time in the middle for 1/4 last week and in that time he managed to get 5 clearances, equal with Treloar who spent the whole game in the middle and only 1 less than Pendles.

It's a constant source of frustration to pies fans that a kid who could easily be our best clearance player is given hardly any minutes where he could have the biggest impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Heeney
2. Petracca

Moore is probably worth 2 De Goeys atm. And I doubt any rationale recruiter would pick Blakely/andrews/weller/Degoey/daniel ahead of Moore in a draft. Maybe your list is ok by performance, but if the draft was to be reheld right now noway that's the order, not even close.

Moore has kicked 2 goals, 2 goals, 1 goal, 0 goal, 2 goals, 3 goals, 2 goals, 2 goals, 3 kicks in last 9 weeks playing as a rucking centre half forward, easily outperforming Wright to be the very least who's kicked 12 goals over the last 9 games compared to Moore's 17 over the last 9. Moore has had much more contested marks as well.

He's certainly improving every year, and has become a much better half forward over the years (191cm 91kg, pretty much Bont/Fyfe/Cripps size), this is just how we develop mids, beams sidebottom Swan etc all went through the same thing, we put them on a forward flank and gradually give them more mid time.

De Goey is nearly ready, when he does receive 80% midfield time compared to the current 15%, he will quickly receive recognition and the believers will tell you they told you so.

Moore is probably worth 2 De Goeys atm. And I doubt any rationale recruiter would pick Blakely/andrews/weller/Degoey/daniel ahead of Moore in a draft. Maybe your list is ok by performance, but if the draft was to be reheld right now noway that's the order, not even close.

Moore has kicked 2 goals, 2 goals, 1 goal, 0 goal, 2 goals, 3 goals, 2 goals, 2 goals, 3 kicks in last 9 weeks playing as a rucking centre half forward, easily outperforming Wright to be the very least who's kicked 12 goals over the last 9 games compared to Moore's 17 over the last 9. Moore has had much more contested marks as well.
Obviously he did redraft based on performance. Who does redraft lists based on potential?

1. Lever
2. Heeney
3/4. Petracca/Moore
5. Marchbank

DeGoey was my favourite at the time of the draft. Could still come on and be as good as Petracca and Heeney down the track.

Who does redraft lists based on potential?
Why wouldn't you, especially if it's still relatively early days and as such many are still just getting warmed up?

If all you're doing is rating on performance to date, it's not really a draft "re-do", or "redraft" (ie. who you would draft where, if everyone was thrown back into the pool and it was held again today), it's something completely different.

Duggan has finally been moved to defence and no longer looks like a spud.

I think Toby McLean and Caleb Daniel will both be top 10 players from this draft class. In fact, both are probably top 10 based on current output. Zaine Cordy showing terrific signs as well.

Was poor last year, probably second year blues, really come on this year though, tracking very nicely.

Was poor last year, probably second year blues, really come on this year though, tracking very nicely.

Yeah looks like he had a real breakout game.

I really can't see how you would justify him going 4th though. Good KPPs are worth more than good inside mids and there's a few of those to be projecting to be quite good. That's before you take in to account guys are have already proven to be A graders like Petracca and Heeney so I really don't see him going 4th.

Yeah looks like he had a real breakout game.

I really can't see how you would justify him going 4th though. Good KPPs are worth more than good inside mids and there's a few of those to be projecting to be quite good. That's before you take in to account guys are have already proven to be A graders like Petracca and Heeney so I really don't see him going 4th.
4th (ish), definitely behind those 2 mentioned ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back