Draft Review 2022 - Revisit the 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sphynx

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Half a season in, this isn't about re-rankings, but more early observations.

What was dubbed as a weak draft in comparison to 2021 and compared to the upcoming 2023 draft when amongst that underage group, it's pretty clear 2022 is going to buck those predictions.

The early signs are this may be considered a super draft in the next few years.

Can't remember a top 10 having this strong a showing in their first half a season.

With a vast bulk of them having extremely high ceilings.

The likes of Tsatas, Busslinger, Jeffersan, Allan, George all still to come also....

1685420432898.png

Gallagher has been injured but I reckon he'll be our first debutant. He's got something. Busslinger averaging something like eight marks in the VFL since settling in after his shoulder reco, and he's a very smart player, but he can still get thrown around easily. Clarke is starting to settle in at VFL, but he has a lot of physical development to do, he looks like a boy among men. Pictured: not a grade 5 school photo.

image.png

The earliest possible top 10 re-draft would probably have it as

1. Sheezel
2. Ashcroft
3. Humphrey
4. Michalanney
5. Ginbey
6. Phillipou
7. Hollands
8. Mackenzie
9. Weddle
10. Wardlaw

Excited to see how much this list changes year to year

I know he’s only played a couple of games so far, but no way would Wardlaw slip to 10 even allowing for how early this revisit is. It still has to be mostly based on potential.

He was super in his debut against us (Sydney) last week. Not in terms of racking up ridiculous stats, ala Sheezel, Ashcroft, but in terms of being both hard, clean and dynamic in the contest, and not overwhelmed by pitting himself against someone of the experience of Luke Parker, you could see why he was taken in the first handful.

I know he’s only played a couple of games so far, but no way would Wardlaw slip to 10 even allowing for how early this revisit is. It still has to be mostly based on potential.

He was super in his debut against us (Sydney) last week. Not in terms of racking up ridiculous stats, ala Sheezel, Ashcroft, but in terms of being both hard, clean and dynamic in the contest, and not overwhelmed by pitting himself against someone of the experience of Luke Parker, you could see why he was taken in the first handful.
The list above would be on performance to date.

might sound funny with how bad WC are but long has shown alot of talent in a team with little going for it.

clearly it is early doors but i've got a few concerns over Mackenzie, and wardlaw (kicking)

I'll say it again, but this is an absolute all timer.

Going to reach 2001 levels imo and we've barely seen the underbelly of the draft yet.

It’s funny, because last year everyone was saying it was a weak draft and teams should trade into this year.

It’s funny, because last year everyone was saying it was a weak draft and teams should trade into this year.

Good lesson I think.

This year still looks extremely strong, but not sure it's viewed as a "super draft" anymore.

Last years top 10 was considered very even, but quite thin throughout 30+, with differing opinions on how strong the top 10 really was.

Well, safe to say this is probably the best top 10 in over a decade, including 2018 imo.

Good lesson I think.

This year still looks extremely strong, but not sure it's viewed as a "super draft" anymore.

Last years top 10 was considered very even, but quite thin throughout 30+, with differing opinions on how strong the top 10 really was.

Well, safe to say this is probably the best top 10 in over a decade, including 2018 imo.
Really? I think 2018 is a long way ahead and will probably end up being the best top 10 of all time (yes even better than 2001).

At this stage, I'd probably have 2019 and 2021 ahead of 2022.

So far this is how I view the top 10:

Excellent: Humphrey, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Very good: Phillipou
Good: Ginbey
Ok: Cadman, McKenzie
Haven't seen: Tsatas, Clark

Really? I think 2018 is a long way ahead and will probably end up being the best top 10 of all time (yes even better than 2001).

At this stage, I'd probably have 2019 and 2021 ahead of 2022.

So far this is how I view the top 10:

Excellent: Humphrey, Wardlaw, Ashcroft, Sheezel
Very good: Phillipou
Good: Ginbey
Ok: Cadman, McKenzie
Haven't seen: Tsatas, Clark

Nah.

Wardlaw, Humphrey, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Phillipou all likely have Rozee/Butters level ceilings.

I'd argue Wardlaw and Humphrey have higher ceilings than anyone in the 2018 top 10, probably inline with King.

Ginbey and MacKenzie long term will end up better footballers than Bailey Smith imo, and they are the rung below....

You have Sheezel and Ashcroft performing to Walsh levels in their rookie years and another bunch looking every bit, if not more promising than what Butters and the others were as 18/19 year olds. They are all really high ceiling physical athletes (Wardlaw, Humphrey, Pou, Tsatas....)

Butters averaged 14 touches a game in his first season.

Wardlaw is already averaging 6 clearances a game from 62% TOG and blowing out of his ass for 2 out of 4 qtrs.

Humphrey is averaging 20.5 disposals and 1.3 goals per game the last month, some of 2018's best didnt achieve a month block like this until about their 3rd season....

Last edited:
Nah.

Wardlaw, Humphrey, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Phillipou all likely have Rozee/Butters level ceilings.

I'd argue Wardlaw and Humphrey have higher ceilings than anyone in the 2018 top 10, probably inline with King.

Ginbey and MacKenzie long term will end up better footballers than Bailey Smith imo, and they are the rung below....

You have Sheezel and Ashcroft performing to Walsh levels in their rookie years and another bunch looking every bit, if not more promising than what Butters and the others were as 18/19 year olds.
I would take Rozee, Rankine, Ben King or Max King ahead of anyone from 2022, except for maybe Wardlaw (and I have a bit of a question mark on Wardlaw because of his history of soft tissue injuries).

The 2022 crop has hit the ground running because there were so many midfielders in the top 10. No doubt the top end of the draft is better than average, but I don't think we are seeing anything special.

I also think Bailey Smith has been overrated by the media so much that he's now actually a bit underrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take Rozee, Rankine, Ben King or Max King ahead of anyone from 2022, except for maybe Wardlaw (and I have a bit of a question mark on Wardlaw because of his history of soft tissue injuries).

The 2022 crop has hit the ground running because there were so many midfielders in the top 10. No doubt the top end of the draft is better than average, but I don't think we are seeing anything special.

I also think Bailey Smith has been overrated by the media so much that he's now actually a bit underrated.

Humphrey, Phillipou and Sheezel were considered Forward/Mid's exactly like Rozee.

It's easy to call them midfielders now, because they have come in and have almost dominated up the ground for their ages.

But that's revisionist.

The pure mids of last years top 10 were Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Tsatas, Mackenzie, Clark and Ginbey.

Humphrey, Phillipou and Sheezel were considered Forward/Mid's exactly like Rozee.

It's easy to call them midfielders now, because they have come in and have almost dominated up the ground for their ages.

But that's revisionist.

The pure mids of last years top 10 were Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Tsatas, Mackenzie, Clark and Ginbey.
I have watched a lot of Phillipou this year. While he's a super talent, I think it's 50/50 whether he ultimately makes it as a mid.

Does he have to?

Nothing wrong with being a dynamic fwd/mid.

He's still got a very high ceiling in that role.
Not at all.

I think dynamic forward/mid is the perfect role for him. I just worry about the media overhyping him and comparing him to Bontempelli. Those comparisons are a fair way off and will only place undue pressure on him.

Already had three debutants from the Hawks.

Weddle has been the most impressive IMO. 'Could be anything' is a Bigfooty cliche but with his size and athleticism it certainly fits the bill.

McKenzie has the composure of a 150 gamer. Would love for him to get more midfield minutes but he's doing his apprenticeship on the flanks/wing.

Bailey McDonald one of our later picks had a tough debut against a strong Port side but I felt he had a decent showing. Still don't think he's AFL ready yet but has been very impressive at VFL level. Lightning quick.

Wouldn't surprise if we see a debut from O'Sullivan and Hustwaite later in the year. Both knocking on the door at VFL level.

I questioned the depth of this draft last year but plenty of egg on my face already. I'm sure plenty of supporters would be grinning with their respective hauls.

If Freo traded out of the draft good chance it’s a belter

‘01, ‘18, ‘22
At least now unlike 20 years ago they're picking the eyes out of the drafts they stay in.

2019 - Young, Serong and Frederick
2020 - Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker and Treacy
2021 - Amiss, Erasmus and Johnson

At least now unlike 20 years ago they're picking the eyes out of the drafts they stay in.

2019 - Young, Serong and Frederick
2020 - Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker and Treacy
2021 - Amiss, Erasmus and Johnson
Ben King and Connor Rozee would’ve been nice though

This has the potential to be an ATG Top 10. All of Ashcroft, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Humphrey in particular look crazily good. Like Ginbey's, Phillipou's and Cadman's upside a lot too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back