2023 AFL DRAFT - National Draft completed, PSD & Rookie Draft Wednesday @ 3pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 required players over a four year period, not to mention Hogan, Langdon and Neale.

You can’t act like it’s not a problem.
He isn't acting like it's not a problem. He is zeroing in on what the problem is.

It is also clear that the club has a strategy to address it through the drafting of players like Simpson, Serong and Brayshaw as well as a clear preference for non metro kids.

The other strategy is the improvement in contract management with the club having the highest number of players on long term contracts.

Freo are great drafters and generally great developers. Just need to hold onto them into their primes.

Say what you want about the names coming and going but losing multiple best 22 players year on year has delayed the build.
The greatest failures have been;
  • unconvincing coaching
  • chasing and overpaying for trade targets without thorough due diligence.

Losing Neale and drafting King rather than trading for Hogan would still be painful but of far less impact: poor due diligence resulting in poor list management decisions. In contrast very few followers regret effectively exchanging Cerra for Amiss, and likely consider it a net gain in terms of list management.

Both Eagles and Freo have said they will scale back their academies after missing on Collard/Edwards with the idea of phasing it out post the current crop unless the AFL updates the rules to allow bid matching in the same way Gold Coast has

Eagles demanding changes now so we can pick up Malakai Champion next year for sure and year after Freo have a top 10 prospect also they say

In review the draft shows how utterly pointless picks 13-55 really were in terms of difference.

Id have taken Murphy ahead of Dawson for example and one went at 21 and the other 41. I would have taken Edwards ahead of Goad and one went at 20 and the other 30 odd. For this reason I feel the teams who were in that 25-50 range are the teams who did the best value wise

From the draft id say 3 clear winners were Geelong, St Kilda and Fremantle. All got great value for what they had.

For Eagles Im just okay with it. Got the game changer we needed, a more long term forward to replace Darling whose still got 2 years in him and then some middling midfielders who I think we overrated and went too early with. I think at pick 49 we should have went ZZ or Roberts to diversify out picks a bit better

Biggest losers were North who overreached for players in the early 20s who would have been around in the 30s anyway. Would have been better off trading into next years draft with those picks and picking later. GWS got it horribly wrong also with pick 12/16 muckup . Sydney Swans also I think went weird in not going for some more AFL ready bodies, especially when it comes to defenders. Crimiunal to not grab one of Murphy/ZZ with a trade down

Over reached for 2 players that Twomey had as possibilities at Adelaide in the early teens and Hardeman in the mid teens.

Sound logic.

I am honestly happy Freo got a gun player in Amiss with the pick we gave then for Cerra.

I know Dockers fans don't really like us, but I honestly would like to see Freo do well and get some sustained on field success

Aside from the start up Brisbane Bears, no other expansion club that entered the AFL has been given so few draft concessions (although Neesham did kind of stuff them up by trading away the rights to Lloyd and McLeod for utter scrubs, Tony Delaney, Chris Groom SMH)

I suspecy Longmuir and his type of personality is a reason Freo lost a couple of good players in the last couple of Years (Henry for one)

The good news for Freo is they have one of the better list managers going around in David Walls.

His done some fine work with talent identification and draft trades in the last few seasons.

They get an A for their National Draft Haul tbh.

Not so sure about that.

Freo failed to get the gresham pick for henry (yes i understand leverage but still) and that pick ends up going on collard. Then they try to get cute with mannagh and get him through to a later pick. If theres any club that always takes mature agers early its geelong-im not sure how they didnt read the room-they had to take him at 35.

Im pretty happy with our picks but i also think coll did very well relative to the picks they had..demattia and jiath are dynamic and will be very good players. I do think lual and roberts will be good picks for ess (caddy im not so sure of). I also think the eagles last 3 picks are very good.
Now now a little harsh
Simpson mid fwd looks good
Murphy the vic metro mvp
Delean kicked 50+ last year
Walls is the late pick guru he read the room fine and got want he wanted

Can't say Curtin looked particularly thrilled when selected by the crows. Same with Collard and Saints.
Collard was supposedly homesick on the State carnival road trips, clearly Saints must rate him because feels like the chance of him extending past his first contract is pretty slim, yet alone playing his whole career away from home.

Collard was supposedly homesick on the State carnival road trips, clearly Saints must rate him because feels like the chance of him extending past his first contract is pretty slim, yet alone playing his whole career away from home.
Collard is the type of guy who takes a dump at home with the toilet door open just in case he gets homesick mid dump

I get the inkling its more of a path to WCE 1st rounder next year then a legit pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it looks apparent in retrospect that there was little difference between a lot of the players beyond the first round.

I think the reason why so many teams were so keen on getting a pick in the top 7 or so was simply because the draft became a bit of a crap shoot.

There will be some hidden gems in this draft no doubt but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty outside of Reid, Walter, McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Sanders and Curtin. Even the latter 4 have some question marks.

Collard is the type of guy who takes a dump at home with the toilet door open just in case he gets homesick mid dump

I get the inkling its more of a path to WCE 1st rounder next year then a legit pick
Maybe true
Or
2 years ago when we drafted wanganeen-Milera there was talk of being homesick and was a flight risk and this year he signed an extension.
We maybe backing ourselves in to create an environment where he wants to stay

Aside from the start up Brisbane Bears, no other expansion club that entered the AFL has been given so few draft concessions (although Neesham did kind of stuff them up by trading away the rights to Lloyd and McLeod for utter scrubs, Tony Delaney, Chris Groom SMH)
I don't think we had the rights to Lloyd?

You just picked up a kid Freo drafted from WA, it’s like you don’t even know your own team.
Do you mean Henry? Because he choose us. We didn't draft him and then complain when he goes home because he's home sick.

Or Collard? WCE NGA. Same goes for us, if we can't entice him to stay then our stupid fault for picking him over a Vic boy. I actually thought we might have gone Archie Roberts but that didn't happen.

Could be wrong, but I remember we had to trade those picks for experienced players, so they weren’t actually ours to take to the draft. That was the extent of our concessions, plus access to WAFL players.

That's an absolute disgrace from the AFL if true (was only 15 when Freo entered the league in 1995)

I don't blame Freo fans for having a chip on their shoulder, esp considering West Coast were practically gifted a WA state side when the Eagles joined the comp in 1997

I think you had the pick to draft him but traded him to Essendon for Delaney and Ridley and maybe another scrub.
According to wiki he was a "compensatory selection that was awarded to Essendon by the AFL in return for losing Todd Ridley to the newly formed Dockers". Plenty of team building things to ridicule us about but that's not one of them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back