Who DON'T you want your team to draft? 2023 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends. I actually think he's a 200 gamer if he pulls his head in. If not, it'll be a very short career and embarrassing for the Saints and himself.

St Kilda had to delete comments on their social media posts last night because they were not all welcoming.

Embarrassing that a pick 60 odd doesn’t work out.

Sheesh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Curtin as a flight risk made it even stranger.

Next year's draft is midfield heavy as well so would have suited a team like Adelaide to have another dip.
Honestly, Curtin seems to have not put a foot wrong in preseason so far and he is a mountain of a man - doing the wrestling drills paired with Darcy Fogarty who is a big unit himself. Sidesteps in traffic will be a feature as he does it regularly in the drills to date (and his draft highlight reel shows it off too). Left peg is excellent and he reads the play very well.

He has all the attributes to become a star of the comp if he want it and so far so good. Flight risk - yeah maybe and its something as supporters we all wonder about but a 3 year starting contract will help protect the club if he did want to leave early - but there seems to be absolutely no indication of that. His ceiling looks to be very very high and I can absolutely see why the club went hard to get him.

Probably. I reckon that future first is likely a top 3 pick.

Having said that I am not unhappy with Caddy.

I thought Caddy was bit of a reach/taken higher than originally projected ?

Mind you said the same thing last year about Tsatas and I think Essendon made the right call there (think he will have a breakout season in 2024)

I thought Caddy was bit of a reach/taken higher than originally projected ?

Mind you said the same thing last year about Tsatas and I think Essendon made the right call there (think he will have a breakout season in 2024)

I reckon Caddy went where I expected (8-12) depending on who had what picks.

He fit our need so I did not expect him to get past us (and in the end we traded up 1 to get him)

I reckon Caddy went where I expected (8-12) depending on who had what picks.

He fit our need so I did not expect him to get past us (and in the end we traded up 1 to get him)
It'll be interesting to see how those 3 key position players (Caddy, O'Sullivan and Curtin) end up. Most of the discussion predraft had Curtin clearly the best of the 3 and then toss up Caddy and O'Sullivan.

Adelaide clearly agreed with public opinion. But the fact they didn't have to break the bank to trade up suggests it wasn't that clear cut and there wasn't a massive bidding war for Curtin.

GWS clearly weren't sold on Curtin and mentioned O'Sullivan as one they were interested in on their draft video but traded back to get Gotthard and Leake instead which were the other 2 they liked.

Essendon clearly rated Caddy well higher than O'Sullivan hence the trade. Geelong clearly preferred O'Sullivan hence the trade.

From the outside it looks like there were pretty significant disagreements in how teams rated those 3.

It'll be interesting to see how those 3 key position players (Caddy, O'Sullivan and Curtin) end up. Most of the discussion predraft had Curtin clearly the best of the 3 and then toss up Caddy and O'Sullivan.

Adelaide clearly agreed with public opinion. But the fact they didn't have to break the bank to trade up suggests it wasn't that clear cut and there wasn't a massive bidding war for Curtin.

GWS clearly weren't sold on Curtin and mentioned O'Sullivan as one they were interested in on their draft video but traded back to get Gotthard and Leake instead which were the other 2 they liked.

Essendon clearly rated Caddy well higher than O'Sullivan hence the trade. Geelong clearly preferred O'Sullivan hence the trade.

From the outside it looks like there were pretty significant disagreements in how teams rated those 3.
I suspect the key difference comes down to flexibility. Caddy is a key forward and that is where he is most likely to develop. O'Sullivan was always a KPD. Curtin can play forward, back AND in the middle. From a crows perspective, we are keeping our fingers crossed we have nabbed ourselves a taller Jordan Dawson type player.

So Geelong were keen for a key back and they got one. Essendon wanted a key forward and got one. The crows saw the possibility of a very large midfielder with a high ceiling in Curtin. I still wonder though, had we passed on Curtin, would Geelong have traded the pick to Essendon if Curtin was still on the board? - likely we will never know

Remove this Banner Ad

Back