2023 Hypothetical Trades: Who says no? - Win Prizes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Value on the trade table is also not just with who is a better player right now. Who is paying more for a 32 year old Gawn over a 25 year old Darcy?
No one is trading for Gawn.

Darcy is good. But he rarely plays a full year, and he doesn't impact enough around the ground, when compared to Marshall, English, etc. Wins taps, which is good but not that many to advantage.

He's at Jarrod Witts level, and would get you a later first.

No one is trading for Gawn.

Darcy is good. But he rarely plays a full year, and he doesn't impact enough around the ground, when compared to Marshall, English, etc. Wins taps, which is good but not that many to advantage.

He's at Jarrod Witts level, and would get you a later first.
No doubt this is all on quality analysis and not just your feelings?

Darcy is 2nd for Hit outs to advantage (behind Witts) and 2nd for contested marks (Gawn) among rucks. Probably the two most useful stats for rucks.

Comfortably?

English Marshall Gawn would have something to say about that. I rate Darcy but I don’t think he is any better than Briggs from GWS

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's better than English and Marshall at the stoppage, comfortably so. Which is the major difference between them. Around the ground is important but stoppage craft is just as important, if not more, and he's as good as anyone in it.

North Give - Pick 19, Pick 31
North Get - Dylan Stephens, Pick 23

Port Give: Ollie Wines, Pick 38
Port Get: Pick 19, Esava Ratugolea

Geelong Give: 2024 First round pick (Geelong), Esava Ratugolea
Geelong Get: Ollie Wines, Pick 38, 2024 second round pick (Sydney)

Sydney Give: Dylan Stephens, Pick 23, 2024 Second Round pick (Sydney)
Sydney gets: Pick 31, 2024 First round Pick (Geelong)
Thanks I hate it

Billy frampton for Eric hipwood
Season 4 Pointing GIF by The Simpsons

No doubt this is all on quality analysis and not just your feelings?

Darcy is 2nd for Hit outs to advantage (behind Witts) and 2nd for contested marks (Gawn) among rucks. Probably the two most useful stats for rucks.
Hit outs to advantage is just 28%, which puts him as "average" amongst ruckmen.

Less than half his hitouts won are to advantage.

He has 1.5 contested marks a game, which seems like it's not dramatically impacting the game.

He goes at 51% go kicking efficiency and, amazingly, 28% when kicking for goal.

He's better than English and Marshall at the stoppage, comfortably so. Which is the major difference between them. Around the ground is important but stoppage craft is just as important, if not more, and he's as good as anyone in it.
His stoppage clearances are just 2 per game, so presumably you mean hitouts? He averages more hitouts than his opponent, but I'm not convinced that's as important as what his opponents like English and Marshall can do around the ground.

Hit outs to advantage is just 28%, which puts him as "average" amongst ruckmen.

Less than half his hitouts won are to advantage.

He has 1.5 contested marks a game, which seems like it's not dramatically impacting the game.

He goes at 51% go kicking efficiency and, amazingly, 28% when kicking for goal.

His ratio is lower but he also wins more hitouts - so his actual to advantage per game is higher than everyone other than Witts.

So we're at what you "seem"? Contested marks don't impact but 3 possessions do?

Why introduce kicking efficiency for a ruckman? If you're getting that out you might as well list the lot because nobody GAF about ruckman kicking efficiency. Why not bring up English's low CP %?

You're taking the **** if you think there is a good reason other than your feelings for why Darcy couldn't be rated higher than every ruckman other than Gawn. Its a 5 horse race for 2nd and Darcy is in the race.

His ratio is lower but he also wins more hitouts - so his actual to advantage per game is higher than everyone other than Witts.

So we're at what you "seem"? Contested marks don't impact but 3 possessions do?

Why introduce kicking efficiency for a ruckman? If you're getting that out you might as well list the lot because nobody GAF about ruckman kicking efficiency. Why not bring up English's low CP %?

You're taking the **** if you think there is a good reason other than your feelings for why Darcy couldn't be rated higher than every ruckman other than Gawn. Its a 5 horse race for 2nd and Darcy is in the race.
3 horse race really. It's Gawn then the three mentioned earlier.

Melbourne almost have to go hard for key forward. Probably pay overs.

Otherwise, Gawn Patracca era will slide away.

I would dangle that first round pick and whatever money they are saving from the Grundy exit at a mature forward.

Naughton ( won't help with their kicking accuracy obviously)

T Lynch ( depending on his foot injury)

Are the two that come to mind.

There are more desirable candidates, but they are under 26 years of age and would require a lot of poaching, draft picks and money.

Dare I say it, maybe even a Tex Walker on a 2 year contract ?

The other one,even though I don't rate him highly, is Chol.

Feel he will just be another B brown type scenario for them,but they have to take a punt on someone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendlebury, Sidebottom, T Michell, Mihocek, Elliott and Cox to West Coast for pick 1

Or Craig McRae to West Coast for pick 1.

NMFC
Lose: Sheezel, 2, 3 and F1
Gain: Stephens, Parker, Blakey, McLean, 11

WCE
Lose: 1, Ryan
Gain: both Warners, Pyke (CEO), Longmire (Head of Footy)

Sydney
Lose: 11, Stephens, Parker, Blakey, McLean, Warners (+Pyke and Longmire)
Gain: Sheezel, Ryan, 1, 2, 3 and future 1st

NMFC fans will hang me
WCE fans will draw and quarter me
Bloods fans will tar and feather me

NMFC
Lose: Sheezel, 2, 3 and F1
Gain: Stephens, Parker, Blakey, McLean, 11

WCE
Lose: 1, Ryan
Gain: both Warners, Pyke (CEO), Longmire (Head of Footy)

Sydney
Lose: 11, Stephens, Parker, Blakey, McLean, Warners (+Pyke and Longmire)
Gain: Sheezel, Ryan, 1, 2, 3 and future 1st

NMFC fans will hang me
WCE fans will draw and quarter me
Bloods fans will tar and feather me
North big looser
WCE big looser
Sydney win Parker is nearly done, Stephens is a vfl player
Blakey and Warner are stars but it's alot to get back

I would dangle that first round pick and whatever money they are saving from the Grundy exit at a mature forward.

There are more desirable candidates, but they are under 26 years of age and would require a lot of poaching, draft picks and money.

Lynch is probably the best option for them. 32 next year and if his foot is right then he can certainly have a huge scoreboard impact. Dees need to squeeze out a premiership in the next 2 or 3 years. May and Gawn will be 32 entering 2024 and remain two of their most critical players.

Tex Walker or Jack Darling would be two I would look at that might not involve overpaying.

Otherwise, if Richmond think they need to rebuild, talk to Lynch.

Given the recent posts:

Dees get: Tex
Crows get: Pick 5

Obviously wild overs for a 34yo (or whatever he is) but another 70 goal season probably gets the Dees a flag.

Crows would think they are up to their eyeballs in 2024 but would definitely need Tex repeating 2023 you'd think, but there is a good chance that was his peak and he could fall off the edge any season now.

Who says no?

Last edited:
Given the recent posts:

Dees get: Tex
Crows get: Pick 5

Obviously wild overs for a 34yo (or whatever he is) but another 70 goal season probably gets the Dees a flag.

Crows would think they are up to their eyeballs in 2024 but would definitely need Tex repeating 2023 you'd think but there is a good chance that was his peak and he could fall off the edge any season now.

Who says no?
As crazy as it is, Melbourne should honestly do that, take a leaf out of NBA for this one and just go all in on winning a flag. Tex is giving them a whole lot more chance at a flag while they have Gawn, Trac and Oliver close to their primes than any kid.

Also, * the future, AFL can just give you picks if your s**t enough down the line anyway

As crazy as it is, Melbourne should honestly do that, take a leaf out of NBA for this one and just go all in on winning a flag. Tex is giving them a whole lot more chance at a flag while they have Gawn, Trac and Oliver close to their primes than any kid.

Also, * the future, AFL can just give you picks if your s**t enough down the line anyway
Yeah I don't see how replacing McDonald/Brown/Petty with Tex in the 2023 Dees side doesn't win the flag. In fact, I'd expect them to do it fairly comfortably as he'd also make several other forwards better as well as kicking 70 himself.

The massive risk is it pretty much has to happen next year given the ages of Tex, May and Max but it would be a trade for the ages if they pulled it off.

Plus if North get the expected band 1 for McKay it pushes that pick 5 outside the nominal top tier (with GC almost certainly trading pick 4/5).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back