Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs easily.
For the cost of only 3 first round draft picks, we managed to pick up a first round draft pick.

#winning

Trading wise, Sydney is the winner

But, overall - this year is North’s draft then GC. All other clubs are fighting for scraps :eek:
I think this is a good short summary. Swans got all their targets by day two, didn't waste another week to win picks 76 & 94!

North and GC will be the only winners at this years draft, the former courtesy of the AFL's largesse, the latter turning a single pick 4 into 6 first rounders!

And Cats fans all applaud ignoring the dud they selected with their first round selection.
First picks like Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo, Fogarty, Stephens? Yep, you need to find later gems when you blow your first picks.

After the first round carnage is wrought by GC & North, this draft will be boring until those late Geelong picks they fought so hard to get

First picks like Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo, Fogarty, Stephens? Yep, you need to find later gems when you blow your first picks.

After the first round carnage is wrought by GC & North, this draft will be boring until those late Geelong picks they fought so hard to get

You prolly should add Jhye Clark to that list in a few years.

It was deadset a week of revolving door trades of scapegoat/maligned players.

Billings
Chol
Fullarton
Dow
Duursma
Gresham
Ratugolea
Fisher
Koschitzke
Nyuon

With a few old journeymen thrown in.

Whole lot of meh.
Is Schultz the only player traded that didn't play 2s this years? Maybe Adams but he missed the GF when he was fit.

Is Schultz the only player traded that didn't play 2s this years? Maybe Adams but he missed the GF when he was fit.
Zerk-Thatcher didn't.

Who do you think acquired the best player? The best single player. And who do you think fared the best of them all. Feel free to name a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz yes.
Hamling yes.
Henry not so much.
I rate Schultz highly. Not so much Hamling, how many games did he even play for you guys? Was injury a factor?

Henry only showed glimpses and didn't feature all the time but I have faith in him. I think he will emerge as a good to semi-great player.

Not so much Hamling, how many games did he even play for you guys? Was injury a factor?
I watched him up close as full back for Peel Thunder in the WAFL. He was close to BoG most weeks. He played a few games this year for Freo when Brennan Cox was injured, and he was very good. He had a bad ongoing ankle injury in 2020/21, but has been fully fit since late 2022.

Too good for the 2nds. And no room in the B22 at Freo. Solid reliable depth. He will thrive at Sydney. Great pickup for them.

The Hawks basically traded Ryan for Chol (plus Gunston as "steak knives")

I'm pretty non-committal about us getting Gunston back for another year, but it cost us nothing, so who cares? He'll play a few games next year and kick a few goals. That's something. No reason to hang s**t on the club for being sentimental. He'll play a role.

Not sure why everyone thinks us losing Ryan, a 26 year old bloke with 3 games & 4 goals to his name is worse than picking up Chol, a 26 year old with 60 games and 80 goals to his name. I'm not saying Chol will be a world beater for us, but he'll also play a role as 2nd tall forward, kick a few goals and take some of the opposition's attention away from Mitch Lewis. Chol looks more likely to play another 60 games over the next 3 years than Ryan does. I've yet to see any 26 year olds come into the AFL and have a lasting impact. Podsiadly springs to mind, but he was in and out of the system for years and a hell of a lot better than Ryan (who I think is a long shot to play 50 games for Brissy)

Koschitzke wanted out and the Tigers thought he could play a role for them. He has been a very frustrating player for the Hawks. I don't think we rated him very highly which is why he wanted to leave. He might be a serviceable player for Richmond - it could come back to bite us, I suppose - but I'm not losing any sleep over his departure.

Brockman had made up his mind to go home and play for West Coast. The Eagles have 1st pick in the PSD. The Hawks had no leverage. We were lucky to get anything we could for him. He has some tricks, but I'm not overly fazed about losing him. He might end up 100 game player, but I doubt he'll ever be star.

Same goes for Ginnivan, although Brockman is way more invisible out on the field than Ginnivan, who at least brings a certain level of energy to his team and gets involved. Brockman does one or two nice things in the 1st quarter and then goes missing for the entire game. Not sure if he has the ticker for AFL footy. I'm not much of a fan of Ginnivan, but he has something about him. He did kick 40 goals last season as a 19 year old. That's more than Brockman will ever do.

I give the Hawks a pass for this trade period. Not great. Not bad. We kept our draft picks; we lost 3 d-graders and we added 3 blokes who will be of more use to us.
I can't believe people would question getting Gunston back. Adds experience to the forward half and will help organize the forward line. Perfect for a rebuilding club

I can't believe people would question getting Gunston back. Adds experience to the forward half and will help organize the forward line. Perfect for a rebuilding club
Experts say a rebuilding club needs more experience. Then when they get someone it is always the case the experts will say not that one though

Winners:
  • Brisbane adding Doedee for free to a grand final side, and adding a bargain ruck-forward who has already shown signs.
  • Sydney adding four best 22 players whilst keeping their first round pick. Puts them in a position to ideally contend once more.
  • St Kilda were clean by adding speed in Henry and Dow for good prices. Billings and Gresham were expendable and they got a good pick for Gresham.
  • West Coast couldn't do much in their position, but Flynn can play from what I've seen and Brockman will be a gem. Supporters should be happy.

Meh and worth commenting on:
  • Adelaide did really well in their Burgess and McAdam trades but their failure to attract any best 22 players despite numerous attempts is a bit ordinary. Will need improvement to come from within.
  • Collingwood acquiring Schultz is big but the future first round pick will be an interesting watch if they don't go top four. Probably should have recruited a depth defender given the uncertainty on Murphy
  • Essendon we've seen this episode before 6 years ago when they picked up Saad, Stringer and Smith. I like McKay but not at the price. Gresham will be a whipping boy in no time and Duursma is less than ordinary.
  • Melbourne covered their areas of need fairly well in my opinion without bringing in any clear guns. Keeping Petty was the biggest win.
  • North added some serviceable depth and improved their draft hand. However with Toby Pink and Tristan Xerri as their best key defender and ruck going into 2024, they could have done more.

Losers:
  • Port Adelaide do not have a premiership quality list and just gave up on almost two whole drafts to recruit three players who could conceivably play SANFL next year, and Esava who is a below average key defender. Looks absolutely horrible.
  • Fremantle's inability to neither acquire good players nor hold onto key players has killed what they had building in 2021. Another year of nothing looms.
  • the Hawks got a good deal for Ginnivan but they butchered their work by trading Ryan and getting little for Brockman. Gunston adds nothing beyond sentimentality. Also overpaid for Chol.
So Ryan is unproven yet we butchered our work?. We have another Forward/ruck developing in the VFL who we need to get games into in Max Ramsden and DGB is set to play forward next year and beyond. Ryan is the same age as Chol but is about 2-3 years behind in physical conditioning. Bloke hadn't lifted weights before he came to Hawthorn. He's behind Daniher and Hipwood at Brisbane anyway. He's replaced Fullarton who was depth. Theres enough youth in the team we need to sprinkle some experience into the mix so we can compete for longer and not get runs of goals against us like the past couple of years. We effectively swapped pick 33 for Ginnivan which was what we got for Brockman. It's a nil all draw so not sure how you came to the conclusion we got shafted. We also got a later pick back.

Winners were Sydney and Essendon for me. North to as lesser extent due to the concessions rather than who the added.

Lot of clubs added players but Sydney and Essendon are the only two who definitely improve their lists. Jury's out for most clubs on whether their moves will make any difference.
Ginnivan, Gunston and Chol won't improve our forward line? Can't get any worse. They only need to provide a presence not be world beaters. We have improved the list just people can't see it yet. We will get a father Son in McCabe who is hopefully going to end up at CHB at the draft. Literally got in what we wanted this trade/draft period outside of McKay and Esava.

The Hawks basically traded Ryan for Chol (plus Gunston as "steak knives")

I'm pretty non-committal about us getting Gunston back for another year, but it cost us nothing, so who cares? He'll play a few games next year and kick a few goals. That's something. No reason to hang s**t on the club for being sentimental. He'll play a role.

Not sure why everyone thinks us losing Ryan, a 26 year old bloke with 3 games & 4 goals to his name is worse than picking up Chol, a 26 year old with 60 games and 80 goals to his name. I'm not saying Chol will be a world beater for us, but he'll also play a role as 2nd tall forward, kick a few goals and take some of the opposition's attention away from Mitch Lewis. Chol looks more likely to play another 60 games over the next 3 years than Ryan does. I've yet to see any 26 year olds come into the AFL and have a lasting impact. Podsiadly springs to mind, but he was in and out of the system for years and a hell of a lot better than Ryan (who I think is a long shot to play 50 games for Brissy)

Koschitzke wanted out and the Tigers thought he could play a role for them. He has been a very frustrating player for the Hawks. I don't think we rated him very highly which is why he wanted to leave. He might be a serviceable player for Richmond - it could come back to bite us, I suppose - but I'm not losing any sleep over his departure.

Brockman had made up his mind to go home and play for West Coast. The Eagles have 1st pick in the PSD. The Hawks had no leverage. We were lucky to get anything we could for him. He has some tricks, but I'm not overly fazed about losing him. He might end up 100 game player, but I doubt he'll ever be star.

Same goes for Ginnivan, although Brockman is way more invisible out on the field than Ginnivan, who at least brings a certain level of energy to his team and gets involved. Brockman does one or two nice things in the 1st quarter and then goes missing for the entire game. Not sure if he has the ticker for AFL footy. I'm not much of a fan of Ginnivan, but he has something about him. He did kick 40 goals last season as a 19 year old. That's more than Brockman will ever do.

I give the Hawks a pass for this trade period. Not great. Not bad. We kept our draft picks; we lost 3 d-graders and we added 3 blokes who will be of more use to us.
So Ryan is unproven yet we butchered our work?. We have another Forward/ruck developing in the VFL who we need to get games into in Max Ramsden and DGB is set to play forward next year and beyond. Ryan is the same age as Chol but is about 2-3 years behind in physical conditioning. Bloke hadn't lifted weights before he came to Hawthorn. He's behind Daniher and Hipwood at Brisbane anyway. He's replaced Fullarton who was depth. Theres enough youth in the team we need to sprinkle some experience into the mix so we can compete for longer and not get runs of goals against us like the past couple of years. We effectively swapped pick 33 for Ginnivan which was what we got for Brockman. It's a nil all draw so not sure how you came to the conclusion we got shafted. We also got a later pick back.
Fair enough with regards to Ryan. Having seen him tear us up in his second game, I'm probably overrating him on what he is likely to achieve. I suppose Chol is an upgrade on Koschitzke in terms of scoreboard output but I think Kosi is a better marking target around the ground and a stronger chop-out ruck. Ryan, Kosi and Chol are probably all equally likely to be apart of their side's next grand final team - that is, unlikely.

And correct point on Brockman, BOO. I didn't think of the PSD leverage so your club didn't have much they could ask for.

A failed trade period is a rough mark on revision. I agree it's an okay trade period in the end.

Ginnivan, Gunston and Chol won't improve our forward line? Can't get any worse. They only need to provide a presence not be world beaters. We have improved the list just people can't see it yet. We will get a father Son in McCabe who is hopefully going to end up at CHB at the draft. Literally got in what we wanted this trade/draft period outside of McKay and Esava.
You didn’t want Liam Henry?

He's achieved more in his career than McKay. Pretty sure his kicked a bag on him too.
He's had one outlier of a good year surround by endless amounts of s**t. I've always hated Hawthorn but used to respect that they went out of their way to get tough, hard footballers like Hodge, Lewis, Roughead and co. Now they've recruited close to the softest player in the history of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back