Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe.

Clarkson didn't exactly cover himself in glory at Hawthorn after 2015.
I think clarkson after 2016 can be seen two different ways. He had a bad list that he over rated and tried to top up with ever worse list management decisions until he was fired. That is bad obviously. Obviously part of his problem was his best 2 forwards were lost whilst in their prime (rioli and roughhead). It is hard to come back from that.

On the other hand, with arguably the worst list in the league he continued to win a surprising number of games, and often took top 4 teams right to the limit (whilst often making an absolute dog's breakfast of supposedly easy games).

Maybe the game has past him by, and I am so happy with the direction we have taken since he left, but I also wouldn't write him off. He has a serious record.

I am excited to see how West Coast rebuild their list with one pick in the first 25. Reid must be Jakovich, Judd and Carey all in one.
So when can West Coast start taking their first round picks to the draft instead of splitting them? Considering we've done exactly that in the last two drafts.

If North supporters are so against trading for pick 1, why do so many of them flock to this thread?
Some of us would trade for it at a reasonable price and west coast are shopping the pick, with North being strongly linked, so we are part of the discussion.

It really shouldn't be too hard to wrap your head around our interest in this discussion.

Looking at Twomeys' phantom, after pick 1 there's not a lot to get excited over
Isn't Dursuumas goal tally pretty exceptional for a midfielder? I can't remember a better one for mid/ forwards.
I think given there are 3 elite picks ( 1,2 3) and both west coast and North want 2 of these ( and picks 4,5,6 7) aren't likely to be traded down, the trade for Pick 1 has to be
1,West Coast 2024r1 for 2,3,17,18,2024r2.
That is my suggestion, if both sides don't like it that means is probably fair.

Last edited:
Come on, mate.

For starters, its a completely different coaching and development staff. You should expect different results. Development isn't about the polo shirt, its about the person who is wearing it.

And North have taken 10 top 20 picks in the last 10 drafts (and one was traded to get another, so its really 9). We haven't had an unusual amount.
At the end of the season, north had more top 20 picks on their list(drafted or traded) than any other club bar the expansion sides.

The point is merely to address the tired old narrative that having a ton of top 20 picks will automatically set you up for success, when it clearly doesn't.

So these idiot claims that WCE are 'doomed' because they won't split pick 1 isn't very smart. We only had 4x top 10 picks on our 2018 winning team, after all, and 2 of those were traded in(Kennedy/Jetta).

You get your elite players at the top of the draft, as this is the 'free' way to do it, and you look for role players in the later rounds. If any of them turn out to be stars, that's just a bonus.

Trading back to pick up a group of B-graders, but still having no bonafide star in the midfield, is just building your side for mid-table finishes. Which is why a trade with WCE simply won't happen unless pick 2 is involved.

The rest of the list can be finished off by FA/trades to suit positions but the bulk of the team comes through the draft, not all of it like some people in here seem to want to believe.

So when can West Coast start taking their first round picks to the draft instead of splitting them? Considering we've done exactly that in the last two drafts.
North went begging to the AFL instead of splitting picks yet their supporters seem to believe this is what WCE should be doing...

Laughable.

Yeah I feel bad for essendon. Before NM got the charity pick they were in that top 8. Now they miss out on that top bracket.
I think Hawthorn were offering enough that our pick would of been pushed back anyways. But at least now we fill a big need with Mckay

Isn't Dursuumas goal tally pretty exceptional for a midfielder? I can't remember a better one for mid/ forwards.
I think given there are 3 elite picks ( 1,2 3) and both west coast and North want 2 of these ( and picks 4,5,6 7) aren't likely to be traded down, the trade for Pick 1 has to be
1,West Coast 2024r1 for 2,3,17,18,2024r2.
That is my suggestion, if both sides don't like it that means is probably fair.
Yes, I was kidding. I really like Reid, Curtin, McKercher, Duursma, Watson, Sanders and O'Sullivan.

WC supporters position: if we don't get a stupidly insane deal (2,3 or similar) we just take Reid.

NM supporters: lots of reasons why WC should take an ordinary deal for 1 (2,15) mostly involving arguments around go home factors that seem more hopeful than anything.

North supporters definitely don't want pick 1 or Harley Reid but think it's in WCs best interests to trade it to them anyway

North fans - Reid is a flight risk. You should split pick 1 for 2 & 15.

West Coast fans - Reid is not a flight risk. 2 & 15 is not 'extraordinary' (Rohan O'Brien's prerequisite for trading pick 1)

North - 2 and 15, plus possibility of some extras, not sure.

West Coast - Toooooooo N Freeeeeeee and more or fk off

Close thread.

Edit. Forgot, West Coast are a big club, they are rich. North is s**t. Beggars.

That’s pretty much it

The beggars stuff came from other clubs' fans. Pretty funny though.
Have we had either of these yet (surely..?)
  • New CBA means he will get a 3 year deal, West Coast have lots of time to help him put down roots in Perth
  • West Coast can draft him, keep him for a year and sell him for a better price than North are currently offering, à la JHF (or if no-one meets their price, another year and still have him under contract if a good deal comes up and he doesn't want to re-sign)

• New CBA means he will get a 3 year deal, West Coast have lots of time to help him put down roots in Perth
  • West Coast can draft him, keep him for a year and sell him for a better price than North are currently offering, à la JHF (or if no-one meets their price, another year and still have him under contract if a good deal comes up and he doesn't want to re-sign)
Mate, that's too measured and mature, just let us WC and North fans slug it out until draft night

Yes there has been some limited discussion of both these points. They don't seem to have persuaded anyone (not that anything else has persuaded anyone either).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, that's too measured and mature, just let us WC and North fans slug it out until draft night
Season 6 No GIF by Friends

Someone please summarise the arguments in this thread for me? I ain't going to read almost 10,000 posts to find out. soz
I believe it’s occasionally both fan base’s complaining about how bad the other team is… followed by recently not feeling sorry for bombers falling out of best prospects in draft… very rarely the same discussion of picks (west coast want 2-3, North Will only give 3-18) rinse and repeat.

I think clarkson after 2016 can be seen two different ways. He had a bad list that he over rated and tried to top up with ever worse list management decisions until he was fired. That is bad obviously. Obviously part of his problem was his best 2 forwards were lost whilst in their prime (rioli and roughhead). It is hard to come back from that.

On the other hand, with arguably the worst list in the league he continued to win a surprising number of games, and often took top 4 teams right to the limit (whilst often making an absolute dog's breakfast of supposedly easy games).

Maybe the game has past him by, and I am so happy with the direction we have taken since he left, but I also wouldn't write him off. He has a serious record.
He finished his last year there rather strong which was surprising at the time. I think Hawks have very good culture at club.

Interesting to see differences between North and Hawks. (I’m definitely biased) I would suggest North has more top end talent. I.e higher picks, players with higher ceiling but the club currently has no idea of how to win games from years of losing. Hawks who have finished more middling seem to lack access to top end talent. Sciliy is brilliant, Lewis a steal, Newcombe a steal. However great culture and management have stopped that full bottoming. Will be interesting to see next few years compared

He finished his last year there rather strong which was surprising at the time. I think Hawks have very good culture at club.

Interesting to see differences between North and Hawks. (I’m definitely biased) I would suggest North has more top end talent. I.e higher picks, players with higher ceiling but the club currently has no idea of how to win games from years of losing. Hawks who have finished more middling seem to lack access to top end talent. Sciliy is brilliant, Lewis a steal, Newcombe a steal. However great culture and management have stopped that full bottoming. Will be interesting to see next few years compared
Time will tell obviously, but I reckon Clarkson is cooked

I don't think you are biased at all. I think your club has a whole lot more top ended talent now than what clarkson had during the period between when we lost rough/rioli to when he was fired.

It definitely feels like some sort of culture thing was holding us up. It also feels like that has continued into the Mitchell era.

If Clarkson still has what it takes and isn't just too old then he clearly has the cattle to get the job done. Not many coaches have succeeded at his age though. It seems to be a young man's game. He has the perfect opportunity to prove all the doubters wrong.

West Coast should be working to try get in early/first round picks next year as well as this year (granted I am not strong about the WA talent in the 2024 draft)

Hawthorn's reported offer for pick 1 during the trade period seemed pretty decent to me (I am betting the Hawks still finish bottom 4 next year)

Unfortunately I fear the biggest loser in all of this is Harley Reid himself, he now has massive pre draft hype like LeBron James or Victor Wembanyama, if a club sells the farm for him and he doesn't immediately have an impact in his first season, he will unfairly cop it sweet from the media and fans with no perspective and patience.

I think he is better off being drafted to the Eagles and ply his trade there for a few years away from the high pressure media and fan pressure in Melbourne

Time will tell obviously, but I reckon Clarkson is cooked
Hopefully not for us… ha ha. We have had significant coaching turnover this off-season. Minimum I can say for the club is they are trying to clean out what could be perceived as rot

Yeah, looking at a few draft boards there’s not much you’re getting at North’s charity range that you can’t grab with picks in the 30’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back