Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying this strategy will be ongoing for the Eagles but I think it would be considered whilst you're rebuilding.. otherwise you may end up like North where they're set back a couple of years because they can't retain that top end talent from interstate

The dogs paid 10 17 and an fr1 for 4 and somw junk picks back. We are going to want more than 15 and 17 for 8.
Pick numbers don’t mean a hell of lot it’s where that pick lands you in the talent pool.

Pick 4 this year allows the dogs to pick one player from a talented pool of players such as Duursma, Watson,Caddy ,Sanders or Curtin. Highly unlikely any of those players are on the board at pick 8.

Because i think it's irrelevant if your strategy was to take best available talent
The only reason it got split was because JHF left North. That's it.

WCE got dragged into it because of Rioli requesting a trade to Port.

Eagles were reportedly either sold on Cadman at 2, and had Mackenzie as their first choice after trading back.

The only reason it got split was because JHF left North. That's it.

WCE got dragged into it because of Rioli requesting a trade to Port.
You could have managed rioli leaving without taking part in a mega deal giving up pick 2.

Clearly you really rated gibney/Hewett or maybe someone else you missed like buslinger.

Maybe that is true again. We won't know till it is over. The odds on it happening again are low I think (especially since I don't see guys I think you would really want elsewhere) but we can't really know.

If it does though, due to the crazy hype around Reid, we all know the deal will have to be mindboggling.

You could have managed rioli leaving without taking part in a mega deal giving up pick 2.

Clearly you really rated gibney/Hewett or maybe someone else you missed like buslinger.

Maybe that is true again. We won't know till it is over. The odds on it happening again are low I think (especially since I don't see guys I think you would really want elsewhere) but we can't really know.

If it does though, due to the crazy hype around Reid, we all know the deal will have to be mindboggling.
The talk was that WCE were keen on Cadman to pair up with Allen, especially with clubs acutely aware of Sheezel & Wardlaw basically refusing to go interstate.

Once GWS were locked in to pick 1, WCE either had to reach for a player they wanted, or trade back for an additional first rounder.

It was just fortunate Hewett was still on the board.

The talk was that WCE were keen on Cadman to pair up with Allen, especially with clubs acutely aware of Sheezel & Wardlaw basically refusing to go interstate.

Once GWS were locked in to pick 1, WCE either had to reach for a player they wanted, or trade back for an additional first rounder.

It was just fortunate Hewett was still on the board.
I liked cadman for you guys, but gosh it turned out nicely anyway.

You're ignoring the fact you guys decided to trade out of the pointy end of the draft to go back and get 2 talented local boys
Haven’t you heard? WC posters have decided to believe a made up story that rebuffs this, based off an ITK poster that told them that Cadman was first on their draft order.

They refuse to see that there are similarities in Reid with Wardlaw Sheezel and Tsatas, who all made it clear privately they didn’t want to leave Vic. Make no mistake if any of those three weren’t flight risks, they’d be in WC colours right now.

The trade worked out well for both parties, but this hindsight justification for why they did the trade is garbage.

Haven’t you heard? WC posters have decided to believe a made up story that rebuffs this, based off an ITK poster that told them that Cadman was first on their draft order.

They refuse to see the similarities in Reid with Wardlaw Sheezel and Tsatas, who all made it clear privately they didn’t want to leave Vic. Make no mistake if any of those three weren’t flight risks, they’d be in WC colours right now.

The trade worked out well for both parties, but this hindsight justification for why they did the trade is garbage.
All of that is wrong, but ok.

Pick numbers don’t mean a hell of lot it’s where that pick lands you in the talent pool.

Pick 4 this year allows the dogs to pick one player from a talented pool of players such as Duursma, Watson,Caddy ,Sanders or Curtin. Highly unlikely any of those players are on the board at pick 8.
One of those 5 plus Reid, McKercher and O'Sullivan will be available at pick 8.

Virtually every draft preview has suggested those 8 are the clear top 8 and there's a step down after that. That's why Geelong's pick is being looked at as a possible solution since it would just keep West Coast in that top bracket.

I'm not saying you would accept it but 2 + 8 for 1 is plausible. 2 + 15 isn't.

One of those 5 plus Reid, McKercher and O'Sullivan will be available at pick 8.

Virtually every draft preview has suggested those 8 are the clear top 8 and there's a step down after that. That's why Geelong's pick is being looked at as a possible solution since it would just keep West Coast in that top bracket.

I'm not saying you would accept it but 2 + 8 for 1 is plausible. 2 + 15 isn't.
Yeah I feel bad for essendon. Before NM got the charity pick they were in that top 8. Now they miss out on that top bracket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying this strategy will be ongoing for the Eagles but I think it would be considered whilst you're rebuilding.. otherwise you may end up like North where they're set back a couple of years because they can't retain that top end talent from interstate
Not only do we retain them, they stay here after their careers are over. Find a new slant.

I am excited to see how West Coast rebuild their list with one pick in the first 25. Reid must be Jakovich, Judd and Carey all in one.
Well, we brought some players in through the two drafts before this one and we'll bring some more players in through the drafts after this one and maybe, just maybe, we won't be at the bottom of the ladder every year for the rest of time.

Well, we brought some players in through the two drafts before this one and we'll bring some more players in through the drafts after this one and maybe, just maybe, we won't be at the bottom of the ladder every year for the rest of time.
I hope for your sake that the season just gone is the worst it will get for you but I'm. Not sure bringing in one good player this year will help much. You did well in last year's draft though.

I hope for your sake that the season just gone is the worst it will get for you but I'm. Not sure bringing in one good player this year will help much. You did well in last year's draft though.
We'll be fine. There's at least another top 5 pick to come next year, 1-2 top ten picks in the years after that and then we'll be on our way. With any luck, the AFL will stop tampering with the draft and the rest of our picks will fall where they are supposed to fall.

I think that is mandated by the AFL. But yes you did well last year with what you had. Bringing in multiple good players in the first round.
North are living proof that you can have all the high picks/players drafted within the top 20 and your club can still be utter shite.

I fail to see how it's going to get any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back