Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's fairly confusing to me that Port are being lauded so much in the media. They brought in 4 players from teams that didn't make finals, 3 of which were not best 23 locks in their previous teams and the 1 that was, won the reverse Coleman, all the while completely destroying their draft hand and losing a clearly talented first round pick from a very strong draft.

Props for getting it all done, but it was definitely overboard IMO. Had they kept the draft capital with not getting one of Soldo/Sweet and BZT, I'd think their period was pretty good.

I agree with that. While this years draft is shallow so its not a big deal to have no picks in they have given up a lot in picks and salary for guys who are essentially fringe players. I think they felt they had to do it given lycett is cooked they clearly think hayes is a spud clurey is out of favour and mckenzie is cooked. But i would have waited until next year when the market will have better quality rucks and kpds-they have paid a lot for guys who arent good enough to take them to a flag.

Im also not a big fan of what the pies did-yes schultz is good but small fwds are the easiest type to find in cheap trades. I can see them sliding next year so i wouldnt have given up a good r1 for him. Given their issues with tall stocks-cox and howe are very old, cameron is a C grader, frampton is one of the worst spuds to ever win a flag, kreuger is made of glass and murphy probably retires and kelly hasnt come on. I felt they didnt address their actual needs and shouldnt have spent a high pick unless it was on a good tall.

I like what sydney did-jury is out on if grundy can get back to his best but at least they addressed specific needs. Also dont mind freos trades as i rate next years pool.

I know it wasn't by choice, but Freo has ended up kicking the can a fair way down the road. If they miss McDonald, next years draftees aren't really impacting until 2026/27 onwards - if they pick well!

I know it wasn't by choice, but Freo has ended up kicking the can a fair way down the road. If they miss McDonald, next years draftees aren't really impacting until 2026/27 onwards - if they pick well!
We have been kicking the can down road for a while.

Neale, B Hill, Langdon, Weller, Cerra, Lobb, Shultz, Henry, Acres, Logue etc

Third youngest list after 8 years of rebuilding is pretty horrible.

3 first round picks, is good assets to trade with but in terms of where is at Fremantle is more of the same.

It's fairly confusing to me that Port are being lauded so much in the media. They brought in 4 players from teams that didn't make finals, 3 of which were not best 23 locks in their previous teams and the 1 that was, won the reverse Coleman, all the while completely destroying their draft hand and losing a clearly talented first round pick from a very strong draft.

Props for getting it all done, but it was definitely overboard IMO. Had they kept the draft capital with not getting one of Soldo/Sweet and BZT, I'd think their period was pretty good.
I really like who Port brought in. Between Esava and Zerk-Thatcher, we go into that game with a 6 goal head start.

Why assume McDonald is Freo's only target next year ? I am sure they probably have a couple of alternate plans in place, plus probably now have cleared up some cap space too.

Things aren't as grim for Freo as they may seem right now, big year for Longmuir though. Probably needs to make finals (or come close) to keep his job (bar a horrendous run of injury)
All things considered, Freo were the most disappointing team/underachievers last season (of all the teams that missed the eight)

They have some good kids with plenty of improvement to come (really like that Matt Johnson)

We have been kicking the can down road for a while.

Neale, B Hill, Langdon, Weller, Cerra, Lobb, Shultz, Henry, Acres, Logue etc

Third youngest list after 8 years of rebuilding is pretty horrible.

3 first round picks, is good assets to trade with but in terms of where is at Fremantle is more of the same.
How many players have you lost since Langmuir has been coach. Seems the dullest bloke around and I wonder if him being there has led to so many players leaving?

How Giants?
Because they were no shows really. Rumors of wanting Haynes off the books and it never happened. The bought no one in and didn't get involved in any trades. Lost Flynn to free agency.

Freo probably also had a poor trade period except the first round picks they got in. Lost 2 players that played regularly in their 22 and none in. I expect they may bring in Sharp as a DFA/rookie who they chased last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give us COLA and a decent academy and we'll hand them back.
Yes well the academies play an important role for the start up franchises.

The Swans have only been in Sydney 40 years, these things take time.

There’s a few club fans that really shouldn’t be having a crack at us. And Sydney is one of those .

I agree GWS did nothing, and that can look bad from the outside, but sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

Nothing wrong with backing in natural/organic improvement from within.

Only issue facing the Giants right now is getting Cadman to sign an extension, I am sure that is going to be done around Christmas/New Year's time

That First Round pick they got last year for Hopper has turned into a very valuable asset for The Giants. I wonder if they will be part of the Draft Day/Night pick swap sweepstakes ?

Nothing wrong with backing in natural/organic improvement from within.

Only issue facing the Giants right now is getting Cadman to sign an extension, I am sure that is going to be done around Christmas/New Year's time

That First Round pick they got last year for Hopper has turned into a very valuable asset for The Giants. I wonder if they will be part of the Draft Day/Night pick swap sweepstakes ?
I think they are happy to take the picks where they stand …, but if a team is keen to move a place or two, up or back, we could get involved if it gets our man

All I know is, we turned our forward line from this...

Moore F.Greene MacDonald
Breust Lewis Wingard
(Kosi)

To this...

Moore Chol Gunston
Ginnivan Lewis Breust
(Watson, MacDonald)

It was clearly a focus. We need scoring power. We've done our best to address it. Time will tell if Ginni and Chol can rediscover their best form.

They could be the next Billy Framptons
They would need to play in a premiership team to be anything like Frampton.

Probably even more unlikely given how many goals they will collectively leak each week.

They would need to play in a premiership team to be anything like Frampton.

Probably even more unlikely given how many goals they will collectively leak each week.
They would need to be cast off from a second club to be like Frampton
Point is a c grade bog average reject played a role in your premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back