Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

All I know is, we turned our forward line from this...

Moore F.Greene MacDonald
Breust Lewis Wingard
(Kosi)

To this...

Moore Chol Gunston
Ginnivan Lewis Breust
(Watson, MacDonald)

It was clearly a focus. We need scoring power. We've done our best to address it. Time will tell if Ginni and Chol can rediscover their best form.
Ginni is awesome. Has a bad wrap for giving lip, but ultimately his work ethic has never been an issue. Works hard; plays hard.

Hopefully Choi’s work ethic can be turned around by you guys; just don’t hold your breath. If he doesn’t, trust me when I say Scrimshaw won’t be the “doesn’t work hard enough” whipping boy much longer.

Sydney the winners - some good pick-ups and still in the first round.

Port sold the farm for a bunch of list-cloggers. Surely have pooled their picks together and targeted someone better?
Wouldn't call it a farm so much as a patch of scrub land they weren't using anyway

Surprised at a few clubs lack of action. GWS not trying to improve their list, Geelong and Richmond not really doing anything
We did our stuff in 2022. Had no chips to do much this trade season.
Suspect in the next two trade periods we'll go hard at either a gun midfielder or KPF.

WINNER : Collingwood got pretty much the best player for what say Pick 15ish next year? Schulz i feel is super underrated and is better then what people think, just because he played in a poop side, most didnt notice, he will be good for them.

LOSERS: all the media creaming in the pants over every pick, i watched pretty much every draft show on the AFL site and radio etc, every kid that was picked is gonna ascend into AFL greatness and people seems to have massive stiffies.

Also if i could be bias for a second, media and people laughed at us for haggling over that pick in the 90s from Port, which, after all the passes turned in 61 or 63? and i really one Wells magic once again hits so people can eat humble pie

WINNER : Collingwood got pretty much the best player for what say Pick 15ish next year? Schulz i feel is super underrated and is better then what people think, just because he played in a poop side, most didnt notice, he will be good for them.

LOSERS: all the media creaming in the pants over every pick, i watched pretty much every draft show on the AFL site and radio etc, every kid that was picked is gonna ascend into AFL greatness and people seems to have massive stiffies.

Also if i could be bias for a second, media and people laughed at us for haggling over that pick in the 90s from Port, which, after all the passes turned in 61 or 63? and i really one Wells magic once again hits so people can eat humble pie

Even if it turns to Gold it was still pretty dumb. Geelong becoming the new Essendon now that Dodo is leaving shop.

Even if it turns to Gold it was still pretty dumb. Geelong becoming the new Essendon now that Dodo is leaving shop.
Maybe but also Geelong being unreasonable at the trade table was pretty specifically an Andrew Mackie thing and Mack has moved to a different role this year.

Except that if you hadn't haggled over that pick from Port, you would just have received another pick tacked on at the end of the draft to allow you to fill your available list spots. Unless you think St Kilda or Brisbane might have selected either Wiltshire or Humphries, you would have landed up with the exact same players. At the very end of the draft, most clubs are taking smokies that probably aren't on the radar of any other club. I suggest Wiltshire was exactly that, given where he was plucked from. I don't know enough about Humphreys to guess whether Brisbane might have taken him, but the probability was very low.

So yes, the haggling over almost the very last pick in the draft almost certainly was a waste of everyone involved's time.

Except that if you hadn't haggled over that pick from Port, you would just have received another pick tacked on at the end of the draft to allow you to fill your available list spots. Unless you think St Kilda or Brisbane might have selected either Wiltshire or Humphries, you would have landed up with the exact same players. At the very end of the draft, most clubs are taking smokies that probably aren't on the radar of any other club. I suggest Wiltshire was exactly that, given where he was plucked from. I don't know enough about Humphreys to guess whether Brisbane might have taken him, but the probability was very low.

So yes, the haggling over almost the very last pick in the draft almost certainly was a waste of everyone involved's time.
I'm not sure it was certain to be a waste of everyone's time. If soldo didn't get traded then we might have done better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winners - Essendon. Just like how they won when they lured in big recruits, Stringer, Smith and Shiel.

Just don't mention that the pick 11 you got for Devon Smith was used to draft Bonar, or that one of the players you drafted with the Shiel picks asked to be traded to the Bombers 😉

But seriously I liked your draft last year and I think it will rival your 2014 one:

Pick 4 - Jarrod Pickett
Pick 6 - Caleb Marchbank
Pick 7 - Paul Ahern
Pick 23 - Patrick Mckenna
And NSW zone selection Jack Steele who was traded for peanuts.

Just don't mention that the pick 11 you got for Devon Smith was used to draft Bonar, or that one of the players you drafted with the Shiel picks asked to be traded to the Bombers 😉

But seriously I liked your draft last year and I think it will rival your 2014 one:

Pick 4 - Jarrod Pickett
Pick 6 - Caleb Marchbank
Pick 7 - Paul Ahern
Train boy is back

Pick 4 - Jarrod Pickett
Pick 6 - Caleb Marchbank
Pick 7 - Paul Ahern
“Got him! Yesss!!!”
Luckily for us the regime that brought in those boys was moved on before they did too much damage (and took half of their bust selections with them).
Since then our drafting has been very strong with guys like Daniels and Taylor in the 20’s and Idun at about pick 60 or 70 I think.

Pick 4 - Jarrod Pickett
Pick 6 - Caleb Marchbank
Pick 7 - Paul Ahern
Oh my God that is catastrophic

Yeah, SOS was terrible …. But somehow we came out of that with a team that wins finals while the bombers are ….. 7000 and counting
'Somehow we came out of that' hahahah. It is pretty obvious why you came out of that without it hurting you too much. It could have something to do with your initial draft picks and concessions being absolutely ridiculous. Plus a northern academy helps too.

Train boy is back

Now now, no need to get personal. Touch a nerve did I? :D It's all just a bit of fun, so take it easy mate.

'Somehow we came out of that' hahahah. It is pretty obvious why you came out of that without it hurting you too much. It could have something to do with your initial draft picks and concessions being absolutely ridiculous. Plus a northern academy helps too.
And all the picks we got for trading spuds to teams like Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back