Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had one outlier of a good year surround by endless amounts of s**t. I've always hated Hawthorn but used to respect that they went out of their way to get tough, hard footballers like Hodge, Lewis, Roughead and co. Now they've recruited close to the softest player in the history of the game.
Bit like your whole clubs underbelly.

Losers - all of us.

The saddest part was Fox Footys 30 minute analysis on the day there were - ZERO TRADES!!

This whole thing needs to be amended to a speed-dating type of arrangement - start at 7.00am and finish at 7.00pm. on the same day.
I wouldn’t mind if they had three days of “speed dating” with a couple days in between each one. First two days can involve players, third one is a week before the draft for pick-only trades. Maybe put a list lodgement in between so they have to delist to make room for the next bunch of acquisitions. Put a media day after each one.

So RFA day, then a media day, then a list lodgement, then repeat with UFA and trade 1, then media day and list lodgement, then repeat with trade and DFA (picks and players), third media day. Then one more DFA & trade (picks only) a couple weeks later pre-draft, as I mentioned.

I wouldn’t mind if they had three days of “speed dating” with a couple days in between each one. First two days can involve players, third one is a week before the draft for pick-only trades. Maybe put a list lodgement in between so they have to delist to make room for the next bunch of acquisitions. Put a media day after each one.

So RFA day, then a media day, then a list lodgement, then repeat with UFA and trade 1, then media day and list lodgement, then repeat with trade and DFA (picks and players), third media day. Then one more DFA & trade (picks only) a couple weeks later pre-draft, as I mentioned.

I'd rather they go the other way with this. There is no need for a "trade week", make it a "trade period" that covers the majority of the off-season.

That seems more logical to me than having a shorter period.

I'd rather they go the other way with this. There is no need for a "trade week", make it a "trade period" that covers the majority of the off-season.

That seems more logical to me than having a shorter period.
You still have list lodgement dates to sort out, otherwise you could have clubs with way too many or too few and that messes up the salary caps and stuff. Football year is 1 November to 31 October

And from a purely logistical point of view I’d like a break from moderating this place at some point 😂

You still have list lodgement dates to sort out, otherwise you could have clubs with way too many or too few and that messes up the salary caps and stuff. Football year is 1 November to 31 October
The whole system needs an overhaul. With a mid season trade period rumoured to be coming in as early as next season, it appears they're at least open to that possibility.

And from a purely logistical point of view I’d like a break from moderating this place at some point 😂

Just ask Chief for more money.

the Hawks got a good deal for Ginnivan but they butchered their work by trading Ryan and getting little for Brockman. Gunston adds nothing beyond sentimentality. Also overpaid for Chol.
We turned a 2nd round Mid season rookie who had played 3 games into Chol and Ginnivan.
I don’t know how anyone could suggest that we butchered that, when most people wouldn’t have even known who he was 3 weeks ago.

At the very least those two are good for 25-30 goals each which will be a massive help to Lewis, Breust and Moore, and with Pick 4(5) almost certain to grab Watson the forward line has been changed completely in 1 offseason.

Also, we turned Brockman and Kosi into picks to match bids on McCabe and likely Dear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All in all it was a pretty meh Trade Period. Few A graders or even B+ Graders. Lots of journeyman role players who hopefully pick up at their new Clubs.

Quite a few players are seemingly on more coin and promises of more game time. The AFLPA will be delighted.

The RFA system has never been used so cynically as what we have seen between the Saints, nmfc and the Dons.

The click baiting journos and their owners were the Periods biggest winners.

Aside from Dodo winning as per usual, I think he was on a winner picking up Goldy. It is a pity Goldy did not retire as a one Club player. Even as an elder statesman of ruckville, he is fit and will help develop Draper.

My mob did well enough and the four trades all fill immediate needs, esp our Clearance work.

I liked what the Hawks did tho Choi is an iffy C Grader Losing Brockman was inevitable but a loss nonetheless.

The GoCo and Footscray were pretty smart in achieving their objectives.

The one smart move which should work well but has received little attention is North’s recruitment of Toby Pink (ex Swan). IMO he will prove a more than adequate replacement for McKay.

Otherwise kudos to the Blues for sticking with the recruitment of the elder Hollands (who was upfront with the Club about his pending court case). He has some elite attributes and will add some necessary zing to a pretty one paced Blues’ midfield.

You're not down with the AFL's plans for "24/7/365 Trade" ?

You're not down with the AFL's plans for "24/7/365 Trade" ?
Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

It's fairly confusing to me that Port are being lauded so much in the media. They brought in 4 players from teams that didn't make finals, 3 of which were not best 23 locks in their previous teams and the 1 that was, won the reverse Coleman, all the while completely destroying their draft hand and losing a clearly talented first round pick from a very strong draft.

Props for getting it all done, but it was definitely overboard IMO. Had they kept the draft capital with not getting one of Soldo/Sweet and BZT, I'd think their period was pretty good.

Port Adelaide lost that by a length of the Flemington.

IN: Ivan Soldo, Jordan Sweet, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Pick 25, Pick 50, Future First, a future second-rounder tied to Freo.

Feel like this is a bit of a misleading representation of what we paid.

We didn’t pay 25, a future Freo second and a future first as in reality, they were all initially a single pick. Our future first which was then traded for those 2 second rounders.

Draft wise, that’s essentially the only pick of value we traded out as our starting pick this year was already out at 38 or something before the period.

We really traded our future first, future third, pick 38, 44, 71 and Duursma for Esava, BZT, Sweet and Soldo (and 73 and bunch of late 24 picks).

It's fairly confusing to me that Port are being lauded so much in the media. They brought in 4 players from teams that didn't make finals, 3 of which were not best 23 locks in their previous teams and the 1 that was, won the reverse Coleman, all the while completely destroying their draft hand and losing a clearly talented first round pick from a very strong draft.

Props for getting it all done, but it was definitely overboard IMO. Had they kept the draft capital with not getting one of Soldo/Sweet and BZT, I'd think their period was pretty good.

They obviously think they are in the Premiership window it's not the list it's the Coach

The future First round pick they gave to Freo is the only significant trade capital Port gave up and really I don't think Ratugolea and Soldo are the type of players worth giving their first pick for..

It's just such a big gamble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back