Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

I am informed, with questionable reliability, that the previous thread covered the following ground:
  • West Coast are not a motivated seller and would need to get a stupidly insane offer, supported by quotes from West Coast's list manager, Rohan O'Brien.
  • Harley Reid is (hopefully?) a flight risk and West Coast should be a motivated seller willing to take a reasonable offer.
Two main trade hypotheticals have been raised, involving either picks 2&3, or picks 2&15.

VOTE in the poll if you have a particular preference for either, or some variation thereof.

These two points have apparently yet to be fully unpacked:
  • New CBA means he will get a 3 year deal, West Coast have lots of time to help him put down roots in Perth
  • West Coast can draft him, keep him for a year and sell him for a better price than that currently suggested (or wait another year and try again)

2 & 3 for 1 is such a monumental overpay that really has no chance of happening. North have said that they will be drafting two picks in the top 3. I think that can be ruled out, just like North's offer of 4 late firsts.

If it is just a repeat of "2 & 3 or its not happening" then there probably isn't much to discuss here.

I think that the reality is that something around 2 + the value of pick 8-10 is the middle ground that could satisfy WC. Whether and how the clubs get to that is another story.

Not hugely knowing the gaps in such a good side other then obviously forward. I’m surprised they haven’t made a bigger play at pick 3 for Duursma. Almost seems like a match made in hell

Edit.. for Demons sorry

EagleMan87 following on from your reply in the last thread, you either split picks or take Reid and a pick at 27-30. I think your strategy of splitting picks over the last few drafts has worked out well. I wouldn't be having this discussion with you if your second pick was a bit earlier.

I think that you need more elite prospects on your list is all and I don't think one elite talent and Brockman moves the needle for you. If you as a fan base are prepared to be patient then I guess take Reid and do the same with picks 1-3 for the next few years. You guys normally rebound quickly from a down year but I don't think this strategy accomplishes this.

I don’t understand, west coasts list manager said 3 nights ago that the gap has closed between Reid and the rest.

Now that’s pretty clear for those that have watched Reid, Mckercher, Curtin etc this year.

Even if there was a large gap, 2 and 3 would be overs.

With little to no gap, this whole discussion is pointless.

EagleMan87 following on from your reply in the last thread, you either split picks or take Reid and a pick at 27-30. I think your strategy of splitting picks over the last few drafts has worked out well. I wouldn't be having this discussion with you if your second pick was a bit earlier.

I think that you need more elite prospects on your list is all and I don't think one elite talent and Brockman moves the needle for you. If you as a fan base are prepared to be patient then I guess take Reid and do the same with picks 1-3 for the next few years. You guys normally rebound quickly from a down year but I don't think this strategy accomplishes this.
You make a good point, but I think the mid-season draft has helped a lot in that regard. We picked up a desperately needed grunt inside mid who can play forward (Culley) and a third tall who we hope has KPF potential (Maric).

Plus, we'll probably be s**t for another year or two so are likely to get good picks for a few more seasons. People on our also board keep talking about how much Adelaide want Draper next year and what we could get for our first pick.

Twomey mentioned West Coast as a side that had asked Geelong about what it would take to get pick 8.

Do they have any way to get it beyond it being a follow up trade to pick 1? I assume that they wouldn't trade their F1, that would be a little crazy.

I'm wondering if they are gauging a trade of 1 for 2 + later picks. Then they will move those picks for 8. Essentially 2 & 8 for 1.

You make a good point, but I think the mid-season draft has helped a lot in that regard. We picked up a desperately needed grunt inside mid who can play forward (Culley) and a third tall who we hope has KPF potential (Maric).

Plus, we'll probably be s**t for another year or two so are likely to get good picks for a few more seasons. People on our also board keep talking about how much Adelaide want Draper next year and what we could get for our first pick.
True, some people are talking like this is the last draft WC will have haha.

Like you said, WC will be down the bottom next year and can split that pick if they want more 'elite' talent. Can do the same in 2025 too.

Twomey mentioned West Coast as a side that had asked Geelong about what it would take to get pick 8.

Do they have any way to get it beyond it being a follow up trade to pick 1? I assume that they wouldn't trade their F1, that would be a little crazy.

I'm wondering if they are gauging a trade of 1 for 2 + later picks. Then they will move those picks for 8. Essentially 2 & 8 for 1.

In that case I would not be surprised if the Dees got involved as we have better picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

splitting picks over the last few drafts.... what?

I imagine we will be doing our due diligence around a proposed 1 for 2 & 3 trade, whether it happens or not.

Realistically, the best WCE is going to get this year is 4 + F1 from Hawthorn. North aren't going to give up a combination of 2 / 3 / F1, and anything else they come up with won't match potentially 2x top 5 picks from us.

Whether or not they take that is another story

Realistically, the best WCE is going to get this year is 4 + F1 from Hawthorn. North aren't going to give up a combination of 2 / 3 / F1, and anything else they come up with won't match potentially 2x top 5 picks from us.

Whether or not they take that is another story
I don’t think that’s the best they could get Depending on what you value.
Issue with Hawks is if they want best available top 3 are considered slightly clear of 4. Ie mckertcher or Duursma there is a perception is clear of Watson, Curtin (I rate him higher) and Saunders
Next year could be pick from 5-10 and miss out on a year of development which is also what they will want.

Yeah that's ridiculous as is 2&15.
It’s more ridiculous! It’s even worse than North getting bent over in the JHF trade. 1 and 1 (best estimate) for 2 and 3 and we don’t even get the twisties otherwise known as pick 14!? If ROB accepts that he’s clearly having some sort of medical episode, who’s come up with that!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back