Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
Australian boxing has lost one of its greatest characters, promoters and (self proclaimed) greatest trainers, with the passing of Keith Ellis.

Ellis trained his younger brother Lester to a world title, and according to him at least, more Australian title holders than any other trainer - and who would argue with Keefy on that or anything else for that matter?

hqdefault.jpg

Keith on the left, the night Lester won his world title from Hwan Kil Yuh at Festival Hall, 1985

Heath-Ellis-5955660.jpg

Keith centre. Brother Neil, and nephew Heath in 2008.

RIP Keith Anthony Ellis 1958-2015

Tribute from referee and former fighter Brad Vocale >

Another sad day for Australian boxing with the passing of one of the genuine funny guys, who knew so much about the sport.

He took Lester and Tony Miller to World and National titles, and numerous others to good levels of success, I always found Keefy a good bloke, who would make you laugh in one sentence, but be bluing about something else in the next sentence, but always said with a wry grin, and never ever personal.

Sadly both Senior and Junior have now passed, both were boxing encyclopedia's who knew what they were talking about, sadly in last few years Keefy suffered ill health and had little, if any input into the sport, but we would still chat on the phone from time to time.

RIP Keith Ellis Jnr

The sport is a poorer place without you and its been a pleasure to have worked with you over the years.

Brad Vocale

Australian boxing has lost one of its greatest characters, promoters and (self proclaimed) greatest trainers, with the passing of Keith Ellis.

Ellis trained his younger brother Lester to a world title, and according to him at least, more Australian title holders than any other trainer - and who would argue with Keefy on that or anything else for that matter?

hqdefault.jpg

Keith on the left, the night Lester won his world title from Hwan Kil Yuh at Festival Hall, 1985

Heath-Ellis-5955660.jpg

Keith centre. Brother Neil, and nephew Heath in 2008.

RIP Keith Anthony Ellis 1958-2015[/QUOTE
Back in 1991 Keith Ellis was in my corner at the Australian titles in Adelaide SA. It was a privilege to have you in my corner. If it wasn't for you yelling 6 punches Robby I wouldn't of won. Thanks Keith. RIP.

Last edited:

Back in 1991 Keith Ellis was in my corner at the Australian titles in Adelaide SA. It was a privilege to have you in my corner. If it wasn't for you yelling 6 punches Robby I wouldn't of won. Thanks Keith. RIP.

Welcome to the forum mate. Can you share any other thoughts about Keith? Did you train with him in Melbourne?

Surely, It's been a great lost for Australia. He was really a true boxing promoter and a great coach. may his soul rest in heaven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back