AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by The Block

This is why you don't sugarcoat falling over the line against two of the worst teams in modern history. Form wise we're the 3rd worst team in the competition over the last 5-6 weeks. We've fallen away alarmingly since the Adelaide match for some reason.

The only positive I can think of is going into the off-season knowing we're still a mile off is probably beneficial long term.

Problem with that is if we where actually bottom 4 we would have lost to sides that where in the bottom 6 and finished bottom 4 . We did not. The easy draw did not really come into it. If we where genuine bottom 4 we would not have won the games. We are where we are at as that is our level. If we do not improve next year we could slip back if others do improve but right now we have enough decent players that keep us from being genuine bottom 4 . I keep hearing about the easiest draw. Bit like the soft draw in the second half of the year that ended up not being so soft .

Mate, I love you opinions and input but, seriously, we are bottom 4. Our percentage confirms it, even with an easy draw.

Embrace the reality, we’re a bunch of bottom 4 scrubbers with years in the wilderness ahead of us.

Not even sure we’ve hit rock bottom yet - the sooner we do the better, so hopefully someone finally gets the balls to put a big broom right through the place [hoping it is Scott and Vozzo].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We had one of the easiest draws in the league this year, take out a few of the easy beats and we're very much bottom 4.
Bit of a myth that we had one of the easiest draws. Yes we had NMFC and WCE twice but we also had Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS twice.
But I agree that we are bottom 4-6.

I said when Mahoney came on board that it would take 7 to 9 years to build it of our base. Since then we have had to sack a coach . Had three top 10 picks in what is looking an average draft . Changed CEO. Lost Mahoney as he was seen as part of the Brasher / Truck regime and had some of his power moved and deliberately got a coach and a CEO who will be much more hands on in the footy department. You can not polish a turd. We have to build something. We are back to step one. Mahoney said exactly that in his interview the other day. Make no mistake unless they pull three rabbits out of a hat in the next two Draft / FA / Trade periods then this will take another 3 years to see if they are making the decisions that need to be made and 5 years to be a genuine finals winning side. There would literally have to be 25 players need to jump another two levels for it to be any shorter. We have a total lack of hard edge leaders and a soft culture. We are not like Collingwood or Hawthorn who can build of a culture of winning finals and being there at the pointy end. Or even GWS for that matter who are building of a base that did not win the big one but won more finals than any other team. It sucks but we have tried to short cut since the Saga. Now we have to wait and see what Scott and Vosso can do which may suck as well.

Bit of a myth that we had one of the easiest draws. Yes we had NMFC and WCE twice but we also had Geelong, Collingwood, Port and GWS twice.
But I agree that we are bottom 4-6.

Geelong and GWS that are battling to, or won’t make the 8?

Our draw was easy.

I said when Mahoney came on board that it would take 7 to 9 years to build it of our base. Since then we have had to sack a coach . Had three top 10 picks in what is looking an average draft . Changed CEO. Lost Mahoney as he was seen as part of the Brasher / Truck regime and had some of his power moved and deliberately got a coach and a CEO who will be much more hands on in the footy department. You can not polish a turd. We have to build something. We are back to step one. Mahoney said exactly that in his interview the other day. Make no mistake unless they pull three rabbits out of a hat in the next two Draft / FA / Trade periods then this will take another 3 years to see if they are making the decisions that need to be made and 5 years to be a genuine finals winning side. There would literally have to be 25 players need to jump another two levels for it to be any shorter. We have a total lack of hard edge leaders and a soft culture. We are not like Collingwood or Hawthorn who can build of a culture of winning finals and being there at the pointy end. Or even GWS for that matter who are building of a base that did not win the big one but won more finals than any other team. It sucks but we have tried to short cut since the Saga. Now we have to wait and see what Scott and Vosso can do which may suck as well.
I appreciate the effort in your post, and may well agree with some of it.
But you may have taken my post a little too seriously...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I love you opinions and input but, seriously, we are bottom 4. Our percentage confirms it, even with an easy draw.

Embrace the reality, we’re a bunch of bottom 4 scrubbers with years in the wilderness ahead of us.

Not even sure we’ve hit rock bottom yet - the sooner we do the better, so hopefully someone finally gets the balls to put a big broom right through the place [hoping it is Scott and Vozzo].

So we lost to the other bottom 4 sides ?
I have embraced the reality. I have embraced it more than most. I have been very consistent in saying we are 4 or 5 years away. That we lack leadership. That our best players are actually the issue.
We are years away from finding out if Scott can do anything with the list. We may not have even hit rock bottom yet either. Not even sure that Scott and Vosso can do anything. However no matter how many ways you spin it we are not bottom 4. We are in the group of sides that are 10 to 14. That has been our lot with a couple of years just in the 8 and a year in 15th.
Being bad does not actually make you bottom 4. We have been better than 7 sides so far this year. We have still been average and are having a poor finished to the year but I still say if we where genuinely one of the poorest sides of the year the Eagles would have beaten us by 4 goals. We suck. We may crash further but the simple fact is we still won 11 games.

That was the type of loss that makes you question how much time and money you allocate to the club. More often than not in the last 20 years it’s just not worth it.
Me ? Too much.so many years. But as usual I’ll front up again, something something in the blood, get sick of telling the kids we were good once upon a time.

I appreciate the effort in your post, and may well agree with some of it.
But you may have taken my post a little too seriously...
Maybe people need to take the situation a bit more seriously. There is a lot of anger in some of the posting but reality is reality. They have a massive amount of work to do. If I am proven wrong I will be happy but so far nothing I said before a ball was bounced this year as far as issues with our list and where we would finish was wrong this year . Made some dud calls on players but in general our list lacks hard edge leaders. It lacks top end stars and some of our big hopes for the future have come out of a draft that has not been overly great and they are three years in and only one is at okay player range. The issue is we can not polish a turd. there are some serious list issues we need to look at.

The lack of effort has to be a concern inside the club. They didn't fire a shot today and that's not good enough. Poor / weak efforts need to be identified and heads need to roll going into next week and repeat offenders gone from the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back