Rnd 3 Vs Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 9 news tonight suggested they had inside information from the club that Richard Douglas hamstring injury was worse than first thought and Chris knights was first in line to replace him.

If that happens, this place is going to go into meltdown in Thursday night.

#canhardlywait.

Channel 9 news tonight suggested they had inside information from the club that Richard Douglas hamstring injury was worse than first thought and Chris knights was first in line to replace him.

#canhardlywait.

Tredrea said that; he also said on Thursday night that Brad Symes had been pulled out of Centrals' game & Matthew Jaensch wasn't playing for Sturt. Both players were in their teams' best players, so it seems like they played. Wouldn't really trust him when it comes to us... :eek: He only said that about Dougie because he hasn't had a scan yet so the Club doesn't really know the extent of his injury...

#canhardlywait.

Contrary to some reports on BigFooty, Knights made Best player for the Eagles in the Advertiser.

At his best he's very very good.

It's a like for a like against a hardened opponent, so I'm happy with Knights coming in for Douglas!! :thumbsu:

Arrrrgh tough on Dougie if true, but can't see Knights deserving of selection. There would be several in front of him by a long way.
However there may be pressure from within to play him regardless.

#canhardlywait.

geez I hope I get my card giving powers by then..

Knights is not a highly paid player.

The board has no influence over the selection committee.

Didn't he get a fairly fat contract when it was rumoured he was targetted by Vic clubs after his good year?

I agree the Board has no (or shouldn't have) selection influence. I was asking in response to a comment by Huntercrow.

Contrary to some reports on BigFooty, Knights made Best player for the Eagles in the Advertiser.

It's a like for a like against a hardened opponent, so I'm happy with Knights coming in for Douglas!! :thumbsu:

Being named best in a team flogged by 93 points doesn't give much insight into his current form and Knights hasn't been at his best for about 2 seasons. The last time he played SANFL he was averaging 35 possessions so his current form is far from convincing. Martin on the other hand looks ready to step up. He has done everything asked of him, I hope he gets the call up.

It is an unusual situation for the club to be in.

Apart from Symes, in the last seven years we've barely ever had a senior player in the SANFL.

Lets just go back for three years.

Maric, Vince, Tambling, Knights, Massie, Gill, Hentschell, Biglands, Shirley and Kenny McGregor would beg to differ. Even Brent Reilly only played 8 games in 2008.

But you are quite correct that Goodwin, McLeod, Edwards, Rutten and Bock didn't get any SANFL time, but I guess All australian players rarely do.

P.S. I know Edwards was never AA but he should have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he get a fairly fat contract when it was rumoured he was targetted by Vic clubs after his good year?

I agree the Board has no (or shouldn't have) selection influence. I was asking in response to a comment by Huntercrow.

One more time, for those who haven't seen it posted a dozen times this week, the official AFL Free Agency lists unequivocally prove that Knights is not in our top 10 paid players.

I'm with you on this Macca. Knights now has games under his belt and I believe would be very worthy of consideration. While Symes' form is hot, we need Knights superior pace and skills for this big occassion game.

...and Shaw should surely also come under considerable consideration to make the team (I think the MCG would suit him). In place of Otten or perhaps Henderson if his body needs a little break.

Martin will his chance if his form continues (the seeason has a long way to run), and Lyons will yet need to sting a few outstanding games together, but showed a lot Saturday. I am sure Jaensch is working on aspects of his game and will also get his chance...maybe sooner rather than later. In fact it may come down to between Knights and Jaensch for Dougie. Better position than we have been in for a long time.

I'm with you on this Macca. Knights now has games under his belt and I believe would be very worthy of consideration. While Symes' form is hot, we need Knights superior pace and skills for this big occassion game.

Had completely forgotten about Knights... Will definitely add alot more to our side if he can get back up and about....

Will need bigger bodies so I am happy with either Knights or Symes.

Also - Callinan would want to have a good game against the Hawks - 7 touches and a goal wont be enough to keep you in the side with Matty Wright playing some good footy.

For the Hawks we get back this week, Hodge, Shiels and Puopolo. With Bateman, Osborne and Breust all will be dropped on current poor form and 'lack of pace' Puopolo will play on Porplyzia. God I've been waiting for this match up, for a long time, Puopolo seems like the type to play on Porplyzia.

Key match ups could probably be like this...

Tippett vs Roughead
Walker vs Schoenmakers
Lynch vs Gibson
Porplyzia vs Puopolo
Dangerfield vs Birchall

Thompson vs Mitchell (Now that's a match up) ;)
Van Berlo vs Hodge
Sloane vs Shiels (The two young blonds going head to head) Very similiar type players IMO.
Vince vs Lewis

Talia vs Franklin
Rutten vs Hale
Otten vs Gunston
Petrenko vs Rioli

I have a question. Isaac Smith games at the G have been outstanding, is there a suitable match up for him? His speed along with Savage is important for us. It's going to be a good game of footy, will be a lot closer then what some people are predicting, I'm not confident at all tbh.

I am worried about our defence, If Reid can't do the job on buddy then Talia wont. Talia is not developed enough to keep Buddy to under 4 goals.

We cant afford to make even the littlest of mistakes, they will punish us. This is where I worry for Reilly and Henderson (both had good starts to the season but make those costly errors).

I am confident in Sauce in the ruck, we are going to need to win the clearances because we need to get the ball to Tippet and Walker asap and not waste inside 50s and not miss from 30 metres out. We could afford to do that last week but obviously not this week. I watched the game yesterday and Mitchell was at almost every single contest, more than the other followers. Thommo can match it I'd rather see a tag on Mitchell.

Ok with a lot of focus on Buddy I think if we swing focus to the other end of the ground there is a bit to like as well.

Whoever out of Walker/Tippett get Schoenmakers needs to be our continual number one target. He is not of the same quality of Gibson and I would back Walker/Tippett in each time against him.

We can afford to let this get into a shoot out if we play it smart, we have a dangerous forwardline which has multiple avenues to goal, our midfield has more than just one good rotation these days and Porplyzia & Callinan can help pile on some pressure.

Will look forward to seeing Petrenko's role, seems born for games like this.

I think if we worry about just trying to stop Buddy then we are doomed to fail, those legs will be tired after a slog against a grand final quality opponent. They are perfect for a rebound, hopefully we can put in a great showing.

Whoever out of Walker/Tippett get Schoenmakers needs to be our continual number one target. He is not of the same quality of Gibson and I would back Walker/Tippett in each time against him.

The only quality thing Gibson might be is a third defender. Hawthorn desperately needed another KPD that trade window, they didn't even have a partner for Schoenmakers, let alone a spare in case of injury, so they went and raided North for... a 189cm loose man. He is not, and never will be a KPD.

It really won't matter which one of them we kick to if they have a 1 on 1 - Schoenmakers is no match for Tippett, and Gibson is no match for either of them.

If we are able to win the ball in the middle and send in enough good inside 50s, our forward line will blow the Hawks defence to pieces. The battle is all in the middle.

For the Hawks we get back this week, Hodge, Shiels and Puopolo. With Bateman, Osborne and Breust all will be dropped on current poor form and 'lack of pace' Puopolo will play on Porplyzia. God I've been waiting for this match up, for a long time, Puopolo seems like the type to play on Porplyzia.

Key match ups could probably be like this...

Tippett vs Roughead
Walker vs Schoenmakers
Lynch vs Gibson
Porplyzia vs Puopolo
Dangerfield vs Birchall

Thompson vs Mitchell (Now that's a match up) ;)
Van Berlo vs Hodge
Sloane vs Shiels (The two young blonds going head to head) Very similiar type players IMO.
Vince vs Lewis

Talia vs Franklin
Rutten vs Hale
Otten vs Gunston
Petrenko vs Rioli

I have a question. Isaac Smith games at the G have been outstanding, is there a suitable match up for him? His speed along with Savage is important for us. It's going to be a good game of footy, will be a lot closer then what some people are predicting, I'm not confident at all tbh.

Great analysis of the matchups Buddylebo - thanks for your contribution!!

Not too sure about who we would play on Isaac Smith.. early thoughts would be our Smith or perhaps Mackay..

I think its going to be a cracker of a game - we tend to match up pretty well to the Hawks....Hawks to no doubt start 5 goal favourites at the G - but i think it will be a close one...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back