Game Day Rnd 8 - Carlton v St Kilda Game Day Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, I wasn't at the game so a lot of his defensive work might have gone unnoticed...

Just an aside, I know it's not Thomas' fault what role he gets assigned, but I feel like a $50k rookie in the Jordan Bannister mould could have performed that job tonight. Would really like to see Thomas starting to have more of an impact, I'm not necessarily buying the lack of fitness excuse as he seemed to be running very well earlier in the year.

Agree with this. I was at the game, so he provided defensive pressure? Good on him...it's just an expectation that every player should do this. The fact is that he had sweet FA influence on the game and barely looks like getting near it.

I don't buy the fitness thing either.

The good: Yaz, MENZEL (should NEVER be sub again), Bucks, Simmo (apart from a couple of shocking kicks), DOC, Gibbs, Rowe

The bad: thought Garlett could have worked a bit harder when he came on. Obviously that goal was amazing, but there's a significant lack of pressure applied by him. Junk time goals in the last quarter for the Saints, boo hiss

The ugly: our cheersquad chanting "Riewoldt is a ******". STFU bogans. Celebrate our win, don't talk s**t about a champion player.

Have to agree with the cheer squad comment - very poor form.

Daisy didn't get his hands on it much tonight but he worked really hard to lead the boys up forward and buck up Yaz and Menz.

He played as a defensive forward on Dempster all night and did a great job.
We have to remember that he hasn't had a lot of footy in the last couple of years and it's going to take him some time to get back up to speed.
Keep playing him and see how he goes in the second half of the year.

Watching the replay now and if Murph goes for that bump on Nick ill be so disappointed in the MRP. I was so happy to see us get the 4 points. WELL DONE BLUE BOYS.

Daisy didn't get his hands on it much tonight but he worked really hard to lead the boys up forward and buck up Yaz and Menz.
I am a bit worried about Daisy's field kicking, does not seem to want (or possibly cant) to kick more than 35 meters.

How good is Yarran going this year! Looks in great touch and easily in career best form IMO.
He is sharp fast disciplined he is the most dangerous player on the ground when he is going. YAZZZZZA IS A BEAST!

I am a bit worried about Daisy's field kicking, does not seem to want (or possibly cant) to kick more than 35 meters.
I think we need to see how he goes after 10 or so games this season, he is coming off a really bad injury. Daisy is a really really handy player to have acquired.

If Levi could sort out his kicking at goal, we could almost play him as a stay at home contested FF while allowing Hendo and Waite to play as lead up half forwards with either Waite or Henderson falling back into the hole when Levi goes into the ruck to cover Warnock.

Surely he'd kick a few out of the goal-square ;)

I missed out on Mitch Thorp who has gone on to average an astonishing 1.4 goals per game in the SANFL :p

As far as Docherty v Polec, I think we probably got the more consistent of the two and he'll make a very good Heath Scotland replacement as a wing/HB with a great long kick. Port got a wonderful offensive weapon who can break games open. May they both have long and successful careers :thumbsu:

Polec has been tearing it up most of the year. But really impressed with what the Doc has shown so far. :thumbsu:

Thomas is really not worth the coin he's on, I would much rather the compensation pick then paying $700 a year for what he is dishing up.

Please no one reply with he's a slow burner or some crap like that, lets face it the bloke has been on the field for 8 weeks now:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree with the cheer squad comment - very poor form.
don't diss a fair player of the game like Nick, he is a champion they needed to show some respect for him. I have hated the Saints so much over the last 10 years they have beat up and bullied us with their dirty sniping tactics however to talk smack about Riewoldt for no reason is just stupidity.

Disappointed to not see four good quarters tonight but a win is a win. Brilliant 2nd quarter and Yaz and Menz both proved how important they are.

I must say, I was surprised when I saw that Gibbs had 38 touches :eek: hardly noticed him :eek:

Thought Rowe did well on Riewoldt despite the four goals. The Cheer Squad really need a reality check - chanting "Riewoldt is a w***er" is disrespectful and unnecessary.

Menz, Bucks, Doc and Yazz are so great to watch I cant wait till we have Cripps fit again he needs to play the rest of the season when he is back.

Disappointed to not see four good quarters tonight but a win is a win. Brilliant 2nd quarter and Yaz and Menz both proved how important they are.

I must say, I was surprised when I saw that Gibbs had 38 touches :eek: hardly noticed him :eek:

Thought Rowe did well on Riewoldt despite the four goals. The Cheer Squad really need a reality check - chanting "Riewoldt is a ******" is disrespectful and unnecessary.
Gibbs was really good tonight but Simmo was BOG!

As a spectacle, the first quarter was the worst I've seen all year. The effort was there but the skills were lacking. Our forward entries were awful. St Kilda are surely now a lock for the bottom 4. :oops: The game picked up in the second...

Highlight for me was Jamo's goal. But, remember, I tipped this!

Jamison to FF? :p

People shooting from the hip way too early on Thomas.

The game is so tough physically these days you're not gonna get consistency of performance from him until he has his fitness in order and gets a decent amount of games under his belt.

I don't think we'll see his best more often until next year, assuming he gets through this season and the next pre season unscathed.

People think being a defender is easy but I can tell you chasing someone all over park is a damn sight harder than making the play.

Mick's building his base with stints in the middle and defending tonight so he can hopefully play the tale end of the season well and hit next pre season hard.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back