Strategy Road Trip ... planning for our rounds 17 and 18 away games against WCE and GWS

How important to our 2019 Premiership campaign is it to win the WCE game?

• Very. Winning it or losing it will provide a good indication of our Premiership chances

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Not very. We can use this game to experiment, finals will be different

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s round 15, we play North at Docklands.

Next week, round 16, we play Hawks at the MCG.

Then the two weeks after that, rounds 17 and 18 we hit the road to play two potentially season defining games against West Coast at Perth stadium and GWS at Giants stadium.

In amongst all that we have strategic decisions to make -

* When do we bring Elliott back in? For whom?

* When do we bring Adams back in? For whom?

* If / when do we bring Shazza back in? For whom?

* Any other players we need to bring in?

* Do we risk bringing these players back to play on the hard deck of Perth Stadium?

* We’ve lost to WCE 4 times in the last 12 months (true :( ), what should we do differently?

* What planning / preparation do we do in the North / Hawks games ahead of our road trip?

* We’re coming up against two of the most potent forward lines in the comp in WCE and GWS. Dunn is out, Langdon is out, Howe is likely out, what do we do?

* What tall forward options do we play against WCE and GWS?

* What do we think is the likelihood of playing either/both of these two teams on their home deck in finals?

Poll above

Some thinking music ...

My head hurts thinking that far ahead with all the combinations and permutations :oops:

Winning in the lead up to finals is crucial to give the team confidence and momentum, particularly against top 4 aspirants. But equally critical we don't drop games prior against North and Hawthorn.

Select the best team based on who is available and how we best structure up against WCE and GWS. Both are beatable, but I get the feeling WCE will lift against us.

I'd like to see in Adams, Scharenberg, and Elliott as I see them as best 18. Additionally, want to see Quaynor sometime over the next 4 rounds to get a taste of it.

Longer term obviously Howe, Stephenson, Langdon and Beams are another 4 I want back in, but the latter 2 might not get back

Under the pump for best 22 come finals Reid, Varcoe, Thomas

For me the WCE game is crucial we need to beat them for belief more than anything, if we lose both games we risk finish 3rd and playing GWS interstate. We also have an away game against Adelaide in Round 22 ( don't know how this happens everyone tells me We don't travel :rolleyes: )

Elliot fingers crossed next week and Adams maybe against GWS.

I would like to give Thomas a run in the VFL but unlikely to happen now.

Still confident we can finish 2nd on the ladder and play GWS at the G first week.

I see a witch every Wednesday. Spiritual development. She is also Collingwood. I was told as long as we all remain positive, as we are a supporter base we can have a collective consciousness, the Maggies will go just fine.

76woodenspooners you get a like for the Willie Nelson song. Bloke is a legend.

My material mind says that all the permutations during the season a moot point. We win by one point or a hundred points, we still finish where we finish on the ladder, and don't have Geelong until finals anyway, and that is the litmus test.

It's very much like the NBA. We could lose our season fixtures to some of these teams, but when playoffs happen, that's all that matters. I still have a sneaky suspicion the Eagles fixture will surprise a few people, especially those living in Perth ;)

* We’ve lost to WCE 4 times in the last 12 months (true :( ), what should we do differently?
Smother the ball and be front and centre/crumbing from contests.
I'm dead serious, from the 4 games I've seen us battle out recently I can say these two things will get us the win.
Eagles players just wait off the pack every time, ball pops out and they snap it in the direction of the goals, not much technicality of strategy.

Hello guys, just requiring some general information regarding tickets and seats. It looks like I'm taking a posse to the GWS/CFC in Sydney. I've a mixed bag of punters, some with access to CFC interstate members tickets and others not. Is it possible for me to book a hybrid of members and general administration so we all sit in the one spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good plan would be to forget about this year

Way too soon.

We’re still a very good chance of making finals, and from there anything can happen.

We’ve got Adams, Howe, and Langdon to come back in over the next month. Elliott is clearly under-done and will only get better. There are few young players who are on a steep learning curve and will get better (Daicos, IQ). Look at the improvement of Callum Brown this year for an indication of that. Sier is playing well below his best.

Way too soon.

We’re still a very good chance of making finals, and from there anything can happen.

We’ve got Adams, Howe, and Langdon to come back in over the next month. Elliott is clearly under-done and will only get better. There are few young players who are on a steep learning curve and will get better (Daicos, IQ). Look at the improvement of Callum Brown this year for an indication of that. Sier is playing well below his best.

I'll admit I'm a little pessimistic probably as much as you're being a little optimistic. It's the way we're playing that's the issue and unless we revert back to the style of last year we won't win anymore games, particularly given the opposition ahead......................10 wins won't get us in.

I'll admit I'm a little pessimistic probably as much as you're being a little optimistic. It's the way we're playing that's the issue and unless we revert back to the style of last year we won't win anymore games, particularly given the opposition ahead......................

Ha! I wouldn’t have considered that being on 10-5 with 7 rounds yet to play and suggesting “We’re still a good chance of making finals” is being so optimistic.

...10 wins won't get us in.

We’re playing Suns in Melbourne in a few weeks and we’d still be favourites there. We’d then probably need just one more win from six games to make finals.

Ha! I wouldn’t have considered that being on 10-5 with 7 rounds yet to play and suggesting “We’re still a good chance of making finals” is being so optimistic.

We’re playing Suns in Melbourne in a few weeks and we’d still be favourites there. We’d then probably need just one more win from six games to make finals.

The way we're playing we won't beat GC - anywhere, so yeah 10 wins won't get us in.

Good plan would be to forget about this year
I have as much faith we'll beat West Coast as you do, but there's not much point moping around that the season is over when it really isn't.
At worst we fall out of Top 4 and have to grind to make finals. We still have the list to make the 8 and figure out how to make a tilt in this year that hasn't gone as planned so far.

We could beat West Coast. I've seen crazier s**t happen, like Collingwood beating Richmond in that prelim against seemingly all doubt and being within a kick of winning the Grand Final. Footy's a funny game and we'll be there for the ride.

I have as much faith we'll beat West Coast as you do, but there's not much point moping around that the season is over when it really isn't.
At worst we fall out of Top 4 and have to grind to make finals. We still have the list to make the 8 and figure out how to make a tilt in this year that hasn't gone as planned so far.

We could beat West Coast. I've seen crazier s**t happen, like Collingwood beating Richmond in that prelim against seemingly all doubt and being within a kick of winning the Grand Final. Footy's a funny game and we'll be there for the ride.

You'll excuse my lack of optimism, we'd literally have to do a dogs of 16 just even more emphasised given our form has completely vanished. That literally has never happened before then.

List is not our issue, it's that pressure win ball and then burn em on transition that has disappeared - the only way we're winning the flag is if we get it back to it's best and we haven't seen it all year.

Just say we beat wc and gws on their home deck, then what about this past 8 weeks of s***? How come it just all of a sudden comes on? Talk about opportunity lost! That's the frustration and this club is the worst for it.

They build you up with all hope and promise and then for no reason it just falls away and you're left frustrated.

You'll excuse my lack of optimism, we'd literally have to do a dogs of 16 just even more emphasised given our form has completely vanished. That literally has never happened before then.

List is not our issue, it's that pressure win ball and then burn em on transition that has disappeared - the only way we're winning the flag is if we get it back to it's best and we haven't seen it all year.

Just say we beat wc and gws on their home deck, then what about this past 8 weeks of s***? How come it just all of a sudden comes on? Talk about opportunity lost! That's the frustration and this club is the worst for it.

They build you up with all hope and promise and then for no reason it just falls away and you're left frustrated.
s**t happens in footy and right now we're up that creek with no paddle. Just hold on until after the WCE, Giants, Tigers games and reassess after there.
We'll be there when it matters.

Bought my tickets and flights for this week's game at the start of the season.
For a little while, it looked promising that I'd have something to cheer about. Now though....... Urgh!
Might end up being the most expensive waste of 2 hours ever!

Bought my tickets and flights for this week's game at the start of the season.
For a little while, it looked promising that I'd have something to cheer about. Now though....... Urgh!
Might end up being the most expensive waste of 2 hours ever!
I thought that when going to Adelaide R4 last year with my dad and brother. Was certain we'd lose that having only barely beat Carlton the week prior, so decided to just explore Adelaide Hills and city area and just enjoy my time in the city before the torment of the game - boy was I in for a treat.

Enjoy your time there in the city and find something to do/somewhere to go and go there for the experience, not the game :)
And who knows? I've seen crazier stuff happen.

Back