Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Bulldogs & Changes for R10 vs Brisbane

Best on ground

• 1. N. Vlastuin

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • * Other

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't need him to be bursting out of stoppages, just put him in there and let him win some ball. The current mids can't get their hands on it
Issue is Dusty relies on his power when in the contest to be able to stand up and dish off, right now he can't even do that.

Pick 2 is nearly sewn up

secret smell GIF

1 is far from impossible. What if we have a shocking night with injuries in Brisi or the week after. We could easily lose out from here (would be 19 in a row). North will find another win somewhere. They will probably beat us.

1 is far from impossible. What if we have a shocking night with injuries in Brisi or the week after. We could easily lose out from here (would be 19 in a row). North will find another win somewhere. They will probably beat us.
Box seat.

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

It's 1 or 2.

These kids like Dow, Sonsie, Brown and Campbell have good skills, but geez they are lazy and soft..

That is a recruitment issue. Clearly our recruitment team love soft, non tackling but "skilled" players. Not sure that is working for us..

I want to raise a point, these people pumping up Brown need a reality check. Apart from his booming kick that 70% hits the opposition on the chest, he offers nothing defensively. In fact he is slow and very very lazy. The fact we chose him over Van Rooen is laughable. Trade to Geelong asap while he still has value before the competition realises he is an absolute spud.

Let me preface this by saying, I don't care if we lose by 100 if our players do two things...
1. Bring effort and intensity.
2. Play the game style we want to play long term.

Tonight was the worst game I've seen us play as a collective for 10+ years.
I'm not a coach and I'm sure our coaching staff are better placed and more well informed than what I am but these are my observations.
Here is the laundry list of issues I identified and problems we have.
  • Centre bounce stoppages - Defensive positioning resulting in reactive behaviors. In the second half, our mids were too concerned about playing defensively to try and stop the Bulldogs mids instead of trying to read the tap themselves and go and bloody hunt the footy. There's just no intensity and it kills us.
  • Always going Long Down the Line (LDL) - When we exited our D50 and maintained possession on the wing 99% of the time we just kicked it LDL and it was excruciatingly predictable. We have skilful players who have the ability to bite off a kick into the corridor or why not try and swing the ball to the other wing and test the Bulldogs defensive spread?
  • Bombing it inside 50 to an undermanned forward line and for some reason expecting things to magically change - When Sonsie tried to lower the eyes a couple of times when going inside 50 I gleefully yelled in my lounge room because someone actually tried something different. It may not have worked but I honestly do not care. Liam Jones was having his way with us all night and we kept bending over and presenting to him like we enjoyed every second of it. I'm not sure what is being said throughout the week as this has been an issue for all of 2023 and now all of 2024.
  • Stagnant forward line + Stagnant midfielders - When entering our F50 nobody moves, nobody leads. Nobody tries to create space. No one tries to draw away the intercept defenders. It's just flat and stagnant. Why? I have no idea. I assume so that we have numbers at the fall of the ball to force an inside 50 stoppage but that clearly isn't working as it bounces out just as fast as it comes in. When we are exiting our D50 it's more of the same. No movement and kicking long just to force another stoppage.
  • Player and general injury management - Someone explain to me how a group of imbeciles on BigFooty can see ahead of time how much of a bad idea it is to bring players straight back into the AFL after a soft tissue injury but our whole medical department and strength and conditioning teams can't see it? Graham was out with hamstring tightness last week and shock horror he does his hammy half way through the game. Why not play him in the VFL for a half so he can build match fitness and not just training fitness which we all know isn't the same thing.

Look, I could really go on but I'm tired and in a shitty mood. Such a disheartening performance.

Edit: One more thing, how on earth were we slipping over all night. How does that happen? I never want to see it again.

Tonight was woeful, but we all have short memories.

Last round of 2016 we lost 164-51 against Sydney. We were down by 123 at 3/4 time. That team contained 15 Premiership players. In round 19 that same year we lost 111-23 against GWS, with a team containing 14 Premiership players.

Based on the personnel on the field, since we’ve become a ‘winning’ team in 2013 I’ve seen a dozen performances at least worse than tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget the younger players for a moment, we really need to find out which senior players are gonna stick around and give everything to help the rebuild. If players are easing up at round 8, why would they stay on next year? Playing like tonight does not help any young player develop. Im at the point now, like most where I don't care if any of them leave, but if they stay they would want to bring effort every week from next season.

Tonight really could have been 150+ if the Dogs were ruthless in front of goal

I want to raise a point, these people pumping up Brown need a reality check. Apart from his booming kick that 70% hits the opposition on the chest, he offers nothing defensively. In fact he is slow and very very lazy. The fact we chose him over Van Rooen is laughable. Trade to Geelong asap while he still has value before the competition realises he is an absolute spud.
Lay off the piss mate he's a jet

Okay, it's bleak. For sure.

But a couple of thoughts.

1. The Dogs are flat track bullies. Beating up on struggling teams by 10 goals or more and then melting as soon any heat is applied is kind of their brand.

2. Even one of Baker, Hopper, Taranto or Ross would have made a considerable difference to how easily the Dogs out-muscled us at every clearance. That's how they put us to the sword. We were missing precisely the type of player that may have given us a fighting chance.

3. I am not convinced our 18-23 year old players are duds. But any player who weighs less than 80kg is going to look especially feeble against Bontempelli and co. Presumably they will be 2-5kg heavier next year.

4. We will have a sweet set of draft picks this year. It will be one of the last decent draft hauls before Tasmania gets them all. If you are going to bottom out, much better to do it this year rather than in two years.
On point 2, yes we were out muscled in the contest, but we were also out worked. They got more players to the contest, more pressure which either led to a direct turnover or hack kick forward to a turnover.
One different player in the team wouldn't have made much difference as it was the lack of effort across the board that was missing tonight

so drop them and play the kids.

The kids cant do anything if no senior players are having a crack around them. You just become North where no players can ever develop. No kid playing tonight was ever getting anything meaningful out of the game.

These kids like Dow, Sonsie, Brown and Campbell have good skills, but geez they are lazy and soft..

That is a recruitment issue. Clearly our recruitment team love soft, non tackling but "skilled" players. Not sure that is working for us..

Those players are the ones who compliment your match winners and when the match winners aren't around they can look rather ordinary especially in a side that is getting belted.

Been saying for years, club went and got soft, starting drinking own bath water, complacent and just assuming they will always be up there.

Thats from Benny down. He also just stopped giving a s**t.

To lose our Strenght and Fitness guy and just promote an under qualified assistant was pure ego driven nonsense.

We’ve been complacent and it’s gonna be years of rebuilding now. I also think we need to lose Livingston and Blair now and go and poach the current best list managers and football people. They are done.

This is the difference between us and Geelong and Sydney. They keep wanting to get better.

I’m actually happy Brendon is leaving.
Get your hand off it. The Tiges won three including back to back which neither Sydney or Geelong has done.

I agree, best to take the long view. Yze is a good coach. We'll keep adjusting the coaching group and other roles in footy dept. A new CEO. It will take a few years and we're likely to be down for a couple of years. Remember Cotch, Rance and Dusty came to us through a similar dark period so there are long-term silver linings
what evidence can you present to me that suggests yze is a good coach? seen nothing thus far to warrant such a claim....

Back