Number: 44
Height: 183
Weight: 78
DOB: 26-06-1988
Debut: 2009

Club Profile

Demonwiki

Re: ?. Rohan Bail

Cant see Watts, Blease, Strauss or even Jurrah playing right away..

Bails is something to look forward to, cause knowone really knows
how he plays - or what he is about yet..

Loves to take players on and run with the footy. Mainly plays as a wingman and is capable of kicking multiple goals from the midfield in a game. Elite endurance. Very focused and hard working bloke. You guys have got yourselves a good one:thumbsu:

Only question mark over him is his slight frame. Kicking can be eractic sometimes. Very good overhead.

Loving the look of this kid so far, absolute gun! His past three weeks have been awesome! He goes hard, and seems to be a very hard worker. Hopefully he keeps it up :D

Re: 41. Rohan Bail

He seems to be playing a lot of the game as a true HFF, he gets so much of the ball in the area just outside the 50.

Great start to the season for him.

melbournefc.com.au - Q&A with Rohan Bail (Matt Burgan) July 28 2010

DASHER Rohan Bail talks exclusively to melbournefc.com.au about his recent injury battle and return to the Melbourne side, plus the challenges he has faced since joining the club via the 2008 NAB AFL Draft

After a promising start, it’s been a frustrating season for you with injury. But you’ve returned to play the past two matches for Melbourne. How have you found your return?

RB: It’s been very exciting to come back in with five games to go. Hopefully, I’ll hit some form of my own and stay in the side. I really want to finish the season strongly, because I thought I started strongly, before injury interrupted it.

You played from rounds two to four before injury struck. Can you talk about your two main injuries you’ve had this year?

RB: I hurt my wrist in the Richmond game in round four. I did a ligament in my wrist, which wasn’t much of an issue, but I also got a corky in that match and it didn’t recover well. It spread through my thigh and I wasn’t right to play the next week. Two weeks later I went to the Gold Coast to play in the VFL side, but sitting on the plane didn’t agree with it. After going for a warm-up run, I didn’t pull up well and didn’t play. I was then out for another couple of weeks. I came back and played one game in the VFL and then the next match against Bendigo Bombers, I got kneed in the cheek. I broke my cheek in three places and had to have surgery, which was pretty frustrating. I then came back and played against Werribee and Frankston and got a recall against Fremantle.

How did you deal with your injuries through this period?

RB: The middle part of my season was wiped out and the second injury I couldn’t help. It was just unlucky and it was the first bit of surgery I’d ever had. It was a new learning experience. The first week I was back in training, I was a bit hesitant - I didn’t want to get hit in the head. But once I played I was fine.

And what’s it like to be back playing at the elite level after these setbacks?

RB: I love it, especially with Melbourne. I’m trying to find where I’m at with the team - down back or up forward, but I just love playing wherever the coaches feel like putting me.

How does your confidence feel after half-a-dozen AFL matches under your belt?

RB: You just feel more comfortable around your teammates with the way you play. You focus on your role.

What are you aims now for the rest of the season?

RB: I want to stay injury free and be a part of the side for the rest of the year. If we make finals that would be a dream come true. But hopefully we’ll consolidate some hard work and I’ll keep putting my name up for selection and be around next year when the club improves further.

On-field your ability to run-and-carry and break the lines are among your best attributes. Do you agree with that?

RB: Yeah, I try to run as hard as I can. I need to learn a lot more and be a lot more confident and back my pace. When I don’t have the ball, I run harder and when I get it, I try to take guys on.

You’re 22 and older than the recent recruits you were drafted with. How much do you appreciate your opportunity to play in the AFL?

RB: I definitely appreciate it. I’ve had to work a lot harder than some others. There are mature-age draftees coming through, but people develop at different times and I developed later. Maybe I’m showing now what others did at 18 years old.

The club has gained some high-profile youngsters in the past two years, but you’ve managed to fly under the radar. What’s that been like?

RB: I’ve definitely noticed it. Some of those guys have been recognised a lot more, but I’m happy to let the footy do the talking - that’s the way I prefer it. It suits me more too.

It’s been a big 18 months for you. You’ve been drafted, moved interstate, battled injuries, made your AFL debut and played a handful of matches. Significantly, you’ve dealt with personal tragedy with the loss of your Mum. Only you know what this period was like. Are you able to reflect on these experiences?

RB: It was a real learning year. I had to move away and my Mum was diagnosed with cancer and that was hard. It was tough. I was lucky the club really supported me when I needed to be away. And when the club gave me an opportunity to play - that’s all my Mum would’ve wanted for me. I was drafted as a half-forward and I came into the system and learned to play half-back. I was just trying to learn in the VFL and wasn’t really improving. I got injured a couple of times, including my AFL debut, but the fact that I got a game and got a kick when I was injured still gave me a lot of confidence.

There is a bit of a Queensland connection at the club - you’re one of three Demons to have played at Mt Gravatt and Dean Bailey coached the club. Do you Queenslanders stick together?

RB: I live with Ricky Petterd - and although that’s a coincidence - we did play rep footy together for Queensland. We also live with Belly (Daniel Bell).

But you’re a born and bred Victorian. So do you consider yourself a Queenslander or Victorian?

RB: I was born and bred in Melbourne and moved up to Queensland when I was seven years old. I first lived in East Brighton and then moved to Highett. Then we lived north of Brisbane and I played my junior footy up there. When I played my senior footy, I used to drive to Mt Gravatt, which was about 40 minutes away. My family is Victorian, but we moved up to Queensland because of Dad’s work. I grew up there, so maybe that’s why I was a late developer. I do consider myself a Queenslander (laughing).

RohanBailL.jpg

source: melbournefc.com.au

Showed a lot of promise with his aggression and dash on the HFF\HBF. Injures frequently interrupted his season and began to struggle a bit at the end of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress next year. 4\10

Signs were good this season but he'll have to take it to a new level to keep his spot in the side. I've heard hes the best endurance runner at the club behind Struass.

Signs were good this season but he'll have to take it to a new level to keep his spot in the side. I've heard hes the best endurance runner at the club behind Struass.

He has that important ingredient: Leg speed!

Bail often gets forgotten when we talk about young talent at the club, but he really takes the game on. He needs to work on his decision making a little bit, but I think he'll make us a better side in years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicks: 8
Handballs: 6
Marks: 2
Tackles: 4
Free Kicks: 1
Efficiency: 64%
Contested possessions: 3
Uncontested Possessions: 11
Clearances: 0
Clangers: 2
Assists: 0
Inside 50’s: 2
Opponent: Josh Kennedy
One Percenters: 1
Rebound 50’s: 1

DT Score: 56
SC Score: 46

Rating: 6.5/10

Rohan did a great job on Josh Kennedy. Arguably Sydney’s best player over the pre-season, Rohan was given a stopping role on him. Playing through the middle as well as off half-back. He worked him over and ran hard with him, and ran hard off him. Kennedy cramped in the last quarter, so Rohan was released where he used his run. And ended up running well in the last term. Will keep his spot this week, and look for him to have another run with role.

Kicks: 12
Handballs: 8
Tackles: 6
Free Kicks: For: 1 Against: 3
Efficiency: 75%
Contested possessions: 8
Uncontested Possessions: 12
Clearances: 3
Clangers: 5
Assists: 1
Inside 50’s: 3
Opponent: Sam Mitchell
One Percenters: 5
Rebound 50’s: 3

DT Score: 75
SC Score: 95

Rating: 7.5/10

One of the best games of Rohan’s career. Played on Sam Mitchell, who has killed us many times before. Although Mitchell had a lot of disposals, many of them weren’t killers, and didn’t cost the team on the scoreboard. Was correctly placed in the Demons best and played his role for the team.

Rohan Bail-Match Report-RD 2 Melb vs Hawthorn

Kicks: 12
Free Kicks: For: 1 Against: 3
Efficiency: 75%
Contested possessions: 8
Uncontested Possessions: 12
Clangers: 5
Opponent: Sam Mitchell
One Percenters: 5
Rebound 50’s: 3

DT Score: 75
SC Score: 95

Rating: 8.5/10

One of the best games of Rohan’s career. Played on Sam Mitchell, who has killed us many times before. Although Mitchell had a lot of disposals, many of them weren’t killers, and didn’t cost the team on the scoreboard. Was correctly placed in the Demons best and played his role for the team. Look for him to go to Daniel Rich or Simon Black this week

Rohan Bail-Match Report- RD 3 Melb vs Brisbane

Kicks: 15
Marks: 3
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: For: 0 Against: 1
Efficiency: 78%
Contested possessions: 7
Uncontested Possessions: 16
Clearances: 2
Clangers: 4
Inside 50’s: 2
Opponent: Simon Black- 22 Disposals
One Percenters: 0
Rebound 50’s: 2

DT Score: 79
SC Score: 80

Rating: 9/10

Bail continues to impress as the season goes on, he seems to be relishing the run with/tagging role. One improvement can be seen through his improved kicking percentage, which was up around 78 per cent and he also had five scoring involvements. As predicted, he was given the important job of running with Simon Black. Although Black got a lot of the ball in the first quarter, the next three quarters saw Black’s input limited. Overall you can safely say that Bail beat Black out of the matchup, and was rightly placed in the Demons best yet again.

Getting better every week and his tagging duties don't appear to be restricting his ability to go find the ball. Harris didn't see it in the first half.

Just as testament to the drafting (was it still CAC then?), these were the players immediately around Bail:

60) Tom Lee (Adelaide)
61) Campbell Heath (Sydney)
62) Alistair Smith (St. Kilda)
63) Luke Lowden (Hawthorn)
64) Rohan Bail (Melbourne)
65) Rhys O'Keefe (Carlton)
66) Glenn Dawson (Port Adelaide)
67) Tyson Slattery (Essendon)

Potential diamond in the rough there.

Rohan Bail- Match Report- RD 4- Melb vs Gold Coast

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 9
Marks: 7
Free Kicks: For: 0 Against: 2
Efficiency: 74%
Contested possessions: 6
Uncontested Possessions: 17
Clearances: 2
Clangers: 3
Assists: 4
Goals/Behinds: 1/1
Inside 50’s: 8
Opponent: Daniel Harris
Rebound 50’s: 1

DT Score: 106
SC Score: 114

Rohan was given another run with role on Daniel Harris. He played his role and kept Harris from damaging the Demons in the midfield. Rohan was then let off the leash in the third quarter, he provided plenty of run and carry with the ball, kicking a goal and achieving multiple inside 50’s. Rohan had 23 disposals for the second consecutive match and again appeared in Melbourne’s best.

60) Tom Lee (Adelaide)
61) Campbell Heath (Sydney)
62) Alistair Smith (St. Kilda)
63) Luke Lowden (Hawthorn)
64) Rohan Bail (Melbourne)
65) Rhys O'Keefe (Carlton)
66) Glenn Dawson (Port Adelaide)
67) Tyson Slattery (Essendon)

Diamond in the rough there.

EFA.

Rohan's a gun.

Rohan Bail- Match Report- RD 6 Melb vs West Coast

Rating: 6.5/10
Kicks: 9
Marks: 4
Tackles: 7
Free Kicks: For: 0 Against: 2
Efficiency: 71%
Contested possessions: 5
Uncontested Possessions: 13
Clangers: 3
Opponent: Andrew Embley- 17 Disposals
Rebound 50’s: 4

DT Score: 77
SC Score: 77

Had a tough opponent in Andrew Embley, although Embley didn’t get much of the ball he was still very damaging through his run. Rohan suffered a knock late in the first quarter which didn’t help his performance. Ended up losing his matchup with Embley and will go down as his worst performance so far this year. Will keep his spot but will look to improve his performance this week against the Crows. Look for him to again go to a lethal player, Van Berlo or Thompson most likely.

Rohan Bail-Match Report-RD 7 Melb vs Adelaide

Rating: 8.5/10
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 13
Marks: 6
Tackles: 3
Free Kicks: For: 0 Against:0
Efficiency: 75
Contested possessions: 10
Uncontested Possessions: 14
Clearances: 4
Clangers: 0
Assists: 0
One Percenters: 3
Rebound 50’s: 5

DT Score: 89
SC Score: 103

Rohan had another solid performance. Playing on many Adelaide midfielders, including Scott Thompson, Patrick Dangerfield and Nathan Van Berlo. He defended well, attacked the ball aggressively and made some good decisions with the ball, this is apparent through his multiple inside 50’s and rebound 50’s. Overall a very good game from Rohan who will keep his spot, and will most likely go to the most dangerous North players, Brent Harvey, Andrew Swallow or Daniel Wells.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back