Autopsy Rolled over to Freo after leading by 41 at qtr time, what's wrong @ the kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well when you remember we finished 8th by a solitary point and played 5th at their home, and sure were up by 40 but there was still more than a half to play… I’d go with the
final against the eagles in 1999. We finished 3 games clear of them and played at home…. And lost. The final the next week against the lions is up there as well. 98 Prelim, 97 last qrt, last qrt and a bit of grand final last year, 2010 QF, 2008 QF, 1994 SF, 1985 QF was a disaster. I didn’t remember it, but dad was just saying we didn’t show up at all for 1974 either.
That enough for you?
Yep. Eagles game in 1999 when Wallace refused to play James Cook so played him in the curtain raiser where he kicked 6 from memory while we played Matthew Croft at Full Forward.

Last quarter and a bit of last year grand final was all Melbourne. They would have done that to anyone. Especially anyone who just let them waltz out the front of the centre square. At least in that game, when we did get the ball, we didn't do much wrong, we just couldn't get it. That's the only reason I didn't have it in my top 5 bad losses. I'll stick with 98, last night, 97, 99 and that Geelong game (not a final) we led at quarter time and lost by 100 points.

i completely agree about Bevo being uninspiring.

There might be method to his...eccentricities, but we'd never know because he gives us nothing. His pre-game conferences are a waste of time, a litany of obfuscation and distractions. His post match pressers are a string of platitudes, banal self-evident observations and defensive pouting. And worse, there's nothing to fire up the stands, make us invest, defend the indefensible, as supporters should. It's relentlessly downbeat.

But that's OK. He's the coach. They can't all be turning on the vaudeville. His sulk about the leak of Libba's hammie showed how he thinks.

The trouble is, no-one else at the club gives us anything to get inspired by, either.

We have a Pres who's obviously decided to be invisible and mute. We have a CEO who recites from the say-nothing trite playbook, but he could be CEO of just about any club, he never addresses our specific quandaries. Again, fine. Just doing his job, competently, his way. Granty gives us zilch as well. Fine, he doesn't have to. But who will?

So no wonder we're starting to feel disenfranchised, alienated, uninspired. Bont's a 'follow me' captain but let's be honest, he's no Selwood/Hodge, and he comes across as bloke-you-want-you-daughter-to-marry not bloke-you'd-follow-out-of-the-trenches. And his public utterances again, are run-of-the-mill and have been put through a media-training wringer.

We're a small club. we have a history of mediocrity. We need to feel like we understand the narrative, and the club understands us, or we pull the plug emotionally. Moronic, juvenile social media churn by players doesn't cut it.

We need some leadership. A face at the club who talks about the Dogs with love and fury.

Completely with you. I used to watch every single presser up until this year. This season I didn't watch a single one after the embarrassing Tom Morris blow up. I just have no interest in anything the bloke has to say anymore. I was a massive Bevo fan boy up until this year, but he has completely lost me. For some reason or another he doesn't seem to have his wit or spark anymore.

He looks disinterested and muddled (ha, bit like the players at times, funny that).

I just hear lots of non-answers in our pressers now, lots of hands in the air, out of ideas answers. That's a huge concern.
Also, tiny thing, but get rid of the mo and look professional.

Everyone has an expiry date and unless this is his Hardwick shake up/Geelong review under Thompson moment, then he should be out the door next year.

Late to the party some most of my views on our players performances have been covered by others.
But did want to say I think the efforts ( or lack of) last night by Naughton have been allowed to pass without enough comment. How can someone with his talent be invisible for a whole game? Why didn’t the coach try something to get him involved? If he did, it didn’t work. So why not try something else? Naughton disappearing happens too often. Maybe it’s because he is so young. I hope so

There might be method to his...eccentricities, but we'd never know because he gives us nothing. His pre-game conferences are a waste of time, a litany of obfuscation and distractions. His post match pressers are a string of platitudes, banal self-evident observations and defensive pouting. And worse, there's nothing to fire up the stands, make us invest, defend the indefensible, as supporters should. It's relentlessly downbeat.

But that's OK. He's the coach. They can't all be turning on the vaudeville. His sulk about the leak of Libba's hammie showed how he thinks.

The trouble is, no-one else at the club gives us anything to get inspired by, either.

We have a Pres who's obviously decided to be invisible and mute. We have a CEO who recites from the say-nothing trite playbook, but he could be CEO of just about any club, he never addresses our specific quandaries. Again, fine. Just doing his job, competently, his way. Granty gives us zilch as well. Fine, he doesn't have to. But who will?

So no wonder we're starting to feel disenfranchised, alienated, uninspired. Bont's a 'follow me' captain but let's be honest, he's no Selwood/Hodge, and he comes across as bloke-you-want-you-daughter-to-marry not bloke-you'd-follow-out-of-the-trenches. And his public utterances again, are run-of-the-mill and have been put through a media-training wringer.

We're a small club. we have a history of mediocrity. We need to feel like we understand the narrative, and the club understands us, or we pull the plug emotionally. Moronic, juvenile social media churn by players doesn't cut it.

We need some leadership. A face at the club who talks about the Dogs with love and fury.
Very much agree with all of this except the Bont narrative.

We aren’t far away and we can turn it around quickly.
Recruit heavily - take whoever we can get including Lobb who adds flexibility.
Add pace into the midfield, make tough calls, Hunter out.
Daniel out of defense, can only afford 1 of him or Dale.
Draft the best on baller with our first pick, we lost it in the middle second half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think the players have recovered from the GF tbh. I had no idea it wasn‘t reviewed. If so, their performances this year make sense now and if the coach did not review the GF then he needs to be moved on asap
The players have, Bevo hasn't. There seems to have been an obvious change in demeaner and he obviously took it hard.
A lot of whispers about that he's less 'approachable' than he was previously.

His record is so far and away ahead of every other coach in our history he gets another shot - but I'd honestly send him off on an extended holiday as I think he'd be best served by thinking about football less, not more.

I think his issue right now is that he cares too much and it's led to an intensity which means the 'spark' he had in 2015 has evaporated. That's what we need to get back. MC hand-wringing means nothing if that espirit de corps is missing.

I don’t think the players have recovered from the GF tbh. I had no idea it wasn‘t reviewed. If so, their performances this year make sense now and if the coach did not review the GF then he needs to be moved on asap
But surely the coaching staff and the Board members reviewed the game and put in place structures to overcome these deficiencies and put in place a communication strategy for its bewildered members.

POTY. 👏

The leadership at all levels is appalling. I hear nothing from Watson-Wheeler apart from her throwing her hat in to be AFL CEO and running Disney. If she wants Gil's job, p*** off and let someone with passion and drive be President.

Bains. You're spot on. I don't pick up any real love of the club at all and yes, he's an executive, but he's a faceless drone really. Don't pick up any emotional investment - it's just a job. Real Campbell Rose vibes.

Bont. Brilliant player, but we need a real hard nosed p**** as captain now. Someone who grabs blokes by the neck and demands a response, demands they run through a brick wall with him. Sadly, he doesn't.

I hope Matty Boyd is a contender to coach this club next. He's the type you would walk through walls for.

since the membership cards are digital on the app on your mobile phone, I would suggest it needs to be a few minutes at least.

Suggest deleting your banking log in details first, tho.

So, we've gone from burning membership cards, to microwaving them, to now deliberately installing a virus onto our mobiles to wipe out all digital traces of it.

I'm hoping that talk of microchipping our membership into our hand is untrue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not offended at all. I choose not to be 🙂. But posters have left the forum because of this sort of thing. It’s just becoming the way of it, belittling and attempting to silence opposing views. The other two sentences were quite reasonable on their own. Some support Bevo, some don’t.

I’m a Bevo supporter, but my support is waning. I’ll give him one more year 😉. Does that put me in the sensible and logical majority or the bizarre and illogical minority? 🤔
It puts you the latter, mate :D

You could be right. Another explanation is that they don't GAF. Weren't they out clubbing the same night?

Bare with me on this: today's youth for better or worse are different. I don;t think personal accountability is something it once was Don't hurt their feelings, re-enforce positives, etc and I believe Bevo is in tune with that. Plus, for them its just a job.

Fans are really the only constant in a footy club. Players and coaches and committees and Presidents and even grounds come and go. We as the fans are always there and we GAF. Not sure everyone else does, but without us, the club is nothing and maybe they'll learnt that the hard way.

Our blokes are to damn nice. Too woke and PC. No mongrel or aggression .

In the Collingwood v Cats game today, as soon as Cameron got his first free kick, Maynard was in his face aggressively intimidating him. We don't have many who do this at all. Out blokes for the most part are all jokes and smiles.

There was that one time we had 5 players having a wrestle with one Freo player as the ump threw the ball in to a crowd of unmarked opponents who swept the ball away to another easy goal🤦🏼‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doesn’t matter in the wash up I guess, but 3 of their last quarter goals came from questionable umpiring. That, Dunkley holding the ball and Daniel holding the ball

Our players got caught a lot trying to break tackles or taking wayyy too long to dispose of it. Terrible decision-making.

Really welll said. Exactly how I am feeling today, and for some time.

We haven’t adapted our game once in 6 years, not once. There is zero chance that we roll out something different round 1 next year.

Likely we roll out the same crap, with an easier draw probably finish around 6th-7th based purely on the top end talent in the side winning us games against s**t clubs. Probably win a final but never really threaten and Bevo extends his stint once more
I don't even know what our game style is anymore.

We went from high pressure, manic, unpredictable, really slick hands hand-ball team to... whatever the hell we are now. We don't have a system and we don't have DNA.

There is nothing ''Bulldogs'' about us anymore.

Longmuir’s press conference last night was so measured and thoughtful in comparison. He gave the air of not massively wanting to be there , but giving the journalists and fans something to chew on.

When asked if that young 2nd gamer was ready to play, he talked about needing to stretch our defenders and how they’d attached a GPS to him at training to see if he could run out a game. When do we ever get such nuggets ?

He wasn’t too upbeat just an articulate bloke doing his job. Collingwood might be in for a rude shock.

I cried inwardly a little to see Bob Murphy in their coaches box.

Last edited:
I don't even know what our game style is anymore.

We went from high pressure, manic, unpredictable, really slick hands hand-ball team to... whatever the hell we are now. We don't have a system and we don't have DNA.

There is nothing ''Bulldogs'' about us anymore.
This is true. We have absolutely no game plan or structure and purely rely on a few players special abilities to win games.

The overall coaching performance this year has been nothing sort of deplorable. Bevo needs an extended break, he looks completely spent.

Yes they executed the gameplan then they didn’t. Have you ever coached before?

A major part of the swing in momentum after 1/4 time was Longmuir got his team to start possessing the ball more, and Freo adjusted their shape and positioning behind the ball.

Meanwhile, our forwards including talls and Weightman, continued to fly against each other.
Did Beveridge and/or Spangher try to tell them to open up our forward line and isolate their opponents?
Do any of Beveridge, Spangher or Weightman understand Weughtman is not a KPF and what his role in the forward line is?
What did Beveridge do to adjust to Longmuir's new plan?
Players are at fault too, sure, but after 1/4 time Longmuir, Boyd, etc kicked Beveridge's ar5e.

''WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge admits he's not sure if his side ever got over the trauma from last year's Grand Final defeat after its disappointing season ended at the hands of Fremantle on Saturday night.''

I was willing to give Bevo the benefit of the doubt, I'm not in the 4 walls, I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but this right here, is not even excusable anymore.

Fans across BigFooty, Woof and WB-Discord were saying before this season started that the club simply ignoring the trauma from the grand final was a mistake, it has been mentioned in this thread several times over the last 24 hours, and now not even 24 hours later our head coach is going ''hmm yeah maybe we should of maybe addressed that 70+ POINT THRASHING IN A GRAND FINAL THAT MAYBE HAD SOME LINGERING DAMAGE TO THE TEAMS PSYCH''

He is incompetent. Straight up incompetent and there is no excusing the fact that the HEAD COACH couldn't get our team right mentally, that's his ******* job afterall.

President and CEO need to step in here and do something about this, the lack of reviewing from our grand final should be a sackable offense, this entire season now falls on Bevo's shoulders for me, and I can very much see why our other assistant coaches all walked away so late in the pre-season.

I guess they’ll never swing Naughton back but if you’re 42 points up and the opposition is getting a run on, wouldn’t it make sense to send Darcy and/or English back to help out ?

Neither of them fired a shot after quarter time. At times it looked like we needed less forwards . Too many cooks spoiling the broth….

Then right at the end when we could potentially have still had a sniff, Dunkley was our deep full forward all alone against three Freo defenders . Tragicomic .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back