Ross Lyon is synonymous with Ugly football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For someone who openly admitted they wouldn't watch the game because they expected Geelong to lose, you're pretty vocal.

Yep. Freely admitted I have a life that doesn't revolve around watching football. Can you cope with that?

You're a very boisterous coward, Partridge. What a weak prick you are. Only wanking matters.

And you're worse. Resort to ad hominem attacks to someone you've had hardly any dealings with (depending on which alias you're using of course), then just go to insults. Ah well. That's why we have a Report button I guess.

Enjoy the loss. I thoroughly enjoyed the win. On replay of course. As I didn't watch it live. :D

How did your superstar Tomahawk go in the last final he played? What's that donuts? Playing on Zac Dawson? Not too many full forwards can boast a return of 0 goals in a final.

Absolutely zero. That's right. Zero is an important number. Other occurrences are:

0 - number of premierships Fremantle have won
0 - number of premiership medals Zac Dawson has (although he helped Hawkins in a big way get medal number 1 in 2009)
0 - number of scoring shots Haydn Ballantyne had Saturday night.
0 - number of fans won over to Ross Lyon's game style.
0 - number of admirers Ryan Crowley has.

Geelong - 9 premierships, 154 years old. That's one premiership every 17 years.
Fremantle - 18 years old. Just behind the trend line.

Err, what? If you're going to count the years 1859-1896 in our history, you need to include the 7 flags we won in the old VFA. That's 16 flags in 154 years, or better than one every 10 years.

did you read my post? The post above yours post number #129 if not I will say it again.

Freo this season has already blooded 4 players, Hannath, Tarberener, Tanner Smith and Viv Michie. Last season they debuted all 4 players from the 2011 draft: Lachie Neale, Hayden Crozier, Cam Sutcliffe and Tom Sheridan

Did you read my post? I specifically referenced the fact that you had named blooded players by Ross.

I love Saints fans who fantasize that Freo presented Ross with a list of conditions detailing the areas of responsibility they were going to "remove" from him. As if having the worst recruiters in the League and no development department to speak of at St Kilda gave Lyon some sort of "control" he would only reluctantly relinquish. Geez, Ross must have really baulked when he found out that Freo's practice was to impose on the Senior Coach all the support and resources that clubs like Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, and Collingwood burden their coaches with. That would have really brought him down a peg or two...

Don't understand why you bag saints fans so much having been one yourself

His plan was always to get in mature bodies and recycled players, that had nothing to do with being under resourced.

IMO his ultimate plan was to get out of there when the flow on effect loomed on the horizon.

He can bag the fact he had slatted windows, no heating and coołing, and that he was under resourced....truth is st Kilda gave him a chance to build the reputation he has now. I hope he remains humble and doesn't forget that

I'm still baffled by this? Ross Lyon has no results, he's in his 7th season as a senior coach and has failures galore behind him. You might as well say Damien Hardwick gets results? Neil Craig gets results? Tigers supporters must be at least happier than have been for a few years, but they have no flag for 33 years and even making the finals is comparable to finding the white whale! What results are we talking about here?
Lyon was in charge of a team that was 20-0 just weeks out from a finals series and lost the GF, blew two chances the following year and then planned his departure in 2011 as he saw that list diminishing with age. If Freo fans are pleased with a few wins then good and well, i would rather watch a three toed sloth move from one branch to another than watch the stuff Fremantle throw up each week. I can't imagine Franklin contemplating for one second a move to Fremantle, it would drive him insane!

Lyon gets results because he improves teams that he coaches. There is no doubt that Freo are a better side than they were in 2011.

How many flags and grand finals had Mark Thompson got Geelong to in his seventh season as senior coach? Considerably fewer than Ross Lyon. You could say that Malcolm Blight had a string of failure behind him, before he didn't. It's usually the way it works.

Ross Lyon has come closer than any coach since Bob Rose to being winning multiple flags.

Lyon gets results because he improves teams that he coaches. There is no doubt that Freo are a better side than they were in 2011.

How many flags and grand finals had Mark Thompson got Geelong to in his seventh season as senior coach? Considerably fewer than Ross Lyon. You could say that Malcolm Blight had a string of failure behind him, before he didn't. It's usually the way it works.

Ross Lyon has come closer than any coach since Bob Rose to being winning multiple flags.

Yes, and Bob Rose was very proud of all those losing Grand Finals.

It was his ambition in life!

;)

Near enough is good enough, is it?

I didn't actually say that; if you take my response in context, I was merely pointing out that he has come considerably closer than almost any coach to a flag without actually winning one. At the same point in his coaching career, Mark Thompson hadn't yet made a grand final. Was his game style suspect? Of course not.

Yet we have supporters of all complexions insisting with absolute certainty that Ross Lyons game style will never win a premiership, despite the fact that but for a myopic goal umpire and an errant bounce he could have had two.

I don't have a problem with Lyons game style. There I said it :eek:

I've watched 4 Freo games (not counting saturday) this year and all of them were entertaining matches where Freo played top 4 worthy football.

And Saturday was entertaining because I was a Geelong supporter, no doubt for a neutral it was like watching paint dry ;)

I didn't actually say that; if you take my response in context, I was merely pointing out that he has come considerably closer than almost any coach to a flag without actually winning one. At the same point in his coaching career, Mark Thompson hadn't yet made a grand final. Was his game style suspect? Of course not.

Yet we have supporters of all complexions insisting with absolute certainty that Ross Lyons game style will never win a premiership, despite the fact that but for a myopic goal umpire and an errant bounce he could have had two.

He'd have you believe it was for a toe poke, and not because Ball spent much of the afternoon on the pine even after the cats identified Hayes was why we were dominating and blanketed him with Bartel.

They shouldn't of been back in it, that is why they were.

IMO of course.

I never said he won't win one, just said it takes a toll on the body which is why i remain unconvinced, why have you got so many injuries and so many guys with hamstring tightness?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd have you believe it was for a toe poke, and not because Ball spent much of the afternoon on the pine even after the cats identified Hayes was why we were dominating and blanketed him with Bartel.

IMO of course.

I never said he won't win one, just said it takes a toll on the body which is why i remain unconvinced, why have you got so many injuries and so many guys with hamstring tightness?
So are you admitting poor coaching cost you the 09 GF? Lyons didn't rate Ball. Perhaps he was too attacking?

IMO of course.

We have Griffin and Bradley down with knee injuries, Pav with a recurrence of an off season niggle and Barlow out with a facial injury. Mundy I"m not sure of. I take your point with Ball and the 09 GF but the idea that his style is too taxing and takes too high a toll on the body, with the result that his teams are exhausted by the time the GF comes around would be understandable if his teams arrive at the GF and get smashed but they don't, do they? They outscored Collingwood in the 2nd half of the drawn Grand Final, six goals to two. This is hardly indicative of a side that has run out of gas.

We have Griffin and Bradley down with knee injuries, Pav with a recurrence of an off season niggle and Barlow out with a facial injury. Mundy I"m not sure of. I take your point with Ball and the 09 GF but the idea that his style is too taxing and takes too high a toll on the body, with the result that his teams are exhausted by the time the GF comes around would be understandable if his teams arrive at the GF and get smashed but they don't, do they? They outscored Collingwood in the 2nd half of the drawn Grand Final, six goals to two. This is hardly indicative of a side that has run out of gas.

Saints results were not close early in 2009, we were putting sides away with ease.

Just beat the dogs to make the grand final, were in no shape of form as dominant at the end of the season.

2010 replay was more a reflection of the gap between pies and saints that year, though I'd have been perfectly happy to win a flag against a side who had a bad day.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'd rather not reflect anymore.

I have to admit, if I supported Freo i'd think he was the greatest thing that'd happened to the club. They've been decimated by injuries this season, yet he's still got them entrenched in the top-8. Credit where it's due.

As a neutral, he's a s**tstain on the league. I can't watch Freo games anymore (that don't involve the Hawks), they're highlight-less borefests that don't deserve my time. I hope his kind gets phased out soon, it really isn't a great look for the game when a coach tries to suck the entertainment out of it.

I do not care on a neutrals point of view. I do not care if Ross Lyon is a poo Stain on the league. As long as he gets us into finals thats all it matters.

Terrible to watch and for the game but very effective. He has done a remarkable job at Freo, he has changed the entire culture of the club, hats off to him.

My favourite part was how excited he was in the interview after the geelong game about Crowley tagging selwood rather than giving a toss about losing by 60 points

He was highly influential at the Swans when they played ugly football, he took "ugly" football to new levels at St Kilda, and has done the same at Freo. It is ugly to watch. Does he have any other tricks in hus repertoire?

I am just so glad I am not a Dockers supporter because it would turn me off football.
Nup. No plan B. Chip sideways, hold on to the ball. Play the entire game with forwards behind the ball. Try and kick 10 goals and hope that's enough.

With all that talent, he's turned them into a steaming pile of shit to watch. Did the same at St Kilda.

My favourite part was how excited he was in the interview after the geelong game about Crowley tagging selwood rather than giving a toss about losing by 60 points

Perhaps because we didn't lose by 60 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back