Mega Thread The Big Roughy IS IN THE CLEAR!!

Remove this Banner Ad

From what Fagan said in the presser it sounds like he will be out for maybe 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. In the short term he has to protect the wound where it was removed so can't play or train for that reason. Once that has healed sufficiently he should be OK to come back unless he has to have any further treatment.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2015-07-02/chris-fagan-press-conference
That is the key right there.

If everything goes well and lets all prey that is the case because if the news is not good then we are talking about a whole different set of scenarios, if it is advanced to a different stage and it gets into the lymph nodes or bloodstream.

I like everyone else will be praying that he gets the all clear

That is the key right there.

If everything goes well and lets all prey that is the case because if the news is not good then we are talking about a whole different set of scenarios, if it is advanced to a different stage and it gets into the lymph nodes or bloodstream.

I like everyone else will be praying that he gets the all clear

The lymph nodes are the danger zone now. Let's hope Rough has good news and a very quick recovery. Not just for Hawthorn's sake, but for himself and his family!

FWIW - my dad was diagnosed with "multiple malignant melanomas". They operated and found cancer in his lymph nodes. He was given only a 5% chance of surviving the next two years.
That was in 1974. My dad is still alive today. So anything is possible! :)

Not correct. Sounds as though he has had a decent chunk taken out of his lip, and if that is the case, then that needs a couple of weeks to settle so that is doesn't just split open first blow he takes to the face.
All depends on how big the wound is
Yeah you're right. Actually watched the Fagan presser in full since that post and he said a relatively large chunk of flesh had to be removed from his lip.
It will probably take a while to heal in that area and it's not worth the risk of him getting it split open and aggravating it in a game.

Yeah you're right. Actually watched the Fagan presser in full since that post and he said a relatively large chunk of flesh had to be removed from his lip.
It will probably take a while to heal in that area and it's not worth the risk of him getting it split open and aggravating it in a game.
The other aspect of this relates to the histopathology results. Depending on the size of the tumour and the level of its invasion, patients often need more tissue removed. By the sound of it that result is not yet to hand so possible he may need more surgery. I suspect that is why he is listed as "indefinite" re his time off. The final management plan may not be clear for some days depending on the biopsies and any further scans. If it is all 'early' it may be a quick return, but sounds like there are still many balls in the air.
At this stage, it is just a matter of everyone wishing him luck with his upcoming test results.

I know its not a simple either/or, but youd rather rough not be troubled any more with this for his lifetime than anything trivial like a premiership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UV exposure in the last few weeks has absolutely nothing to do with it. Melanoma is correlated with long term exposure, some people more prone that others. He is a fair skinned ranga so fits at least a couple of risk factors, and Australia has the highest rate of melanoma per head of population in the world with QLD leading the walk of shame. Sounds from Fagan's response that the big fella has been doing all that he can to prevent this, using sun screen etc, but even though he may well have taken all precautions, cancer is, I am afraid, not particularly rationale in chosing who it affects. Lots of patients have absolutely no risk factors for a given cancer, but it pops up anyway. Seems to be a common misbelieve in modern society that if you look after yourself, you won't get sick, but sadly life ain't like that

Exactly lyndhurst I mentioned earlier about my Mum having recently had a melanoma removed.
Mum is 75 years old and her doctor told her that it most likely goes back to her childhood. Certainly as a child growing up in the 1940's-1950's they never ever worried about exposure to the sun. And even my parents were not concerned for myself or my brothers & sisters growing up in the 70's and 80's. You just didn't even think about it. Sadly, even today I cringe when I still see people (young & older) frying themselves in the sun.

Terrible news regarding a universally loved player. Would've prefered to play the benchmark of the comp. with the big fella on the ground to give us a better indication of where we're at. Don't get me wrong, we'll enjoy the win, but it wont be against the Hawks best which is disappointing.
More importantly i hope Roughy has a speedy recovery as he's one of the true stars of the comp. and all round nice guys.

It's a worry that he's missing any time for this. A lot of the time it can be cut out in day surgery with local anesthetic and then you can go about your day just like getting a filling at the dentist. I hope this doesn't mean it's spread at all :(. Hopefully it's just time off so he doesn't need to worry about football as he gets the necessary tests done to confirm it hasn't spread.

Pretty wide excision if thought to be melanoma - will have lost most of his lip a least. As pointed out by earlier posters it really depends of depth/spread ie staging, stage 0-1 get local excision only, stage 2 they usually take the lymph nodes, stage 3 and beyond you really don't want to think about.

Had a friend had one similar in his early 20's, lost most of his lip but is still with us 30+ years later. Bad mix Celtic paleness & Australian sun. Good luck to the big fella.

Terrible news regarding a universally loved player. Would've prefered to play the benchmark of the comp. with the big fella on the ground to give us a better indication of where we're at. Don't get me wrong, we'll enjoy the win, but it wont be against the Hawks best which is disappointing.
More importantly i hope Roughy has a speedy recovery as he's one of the true stars of the comp. and all round nice guys.

Loving your confidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back