Preview Round 0 vs. Sydney, Thursday 7 March, 7:30pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as one of the worst offseasons in the history of offseasons draws to a close, we look towards next Thursday at the SCG, when the Dees kick off the AFL season against the Swans.

The Dees head into this matchup with a very depleted forward line that will be missing Pickett, Petty, McAdam and Melksham, and they will be without the recently retired Angus Brayshaw, though could be buoyed by the return of the embattled Clayton Oliver. With Melbourne's outs, they could have anywhere between two and five players making their club or AFL debut.

The Swans on the other hand head into Thursday's game without two of their prime midfield leaders in Callum Mills and Luke Parker, though will debut a new-look midfield that includes ex-Demons Brodie Grundy and James Jordon, and ex-Pie Taylor Adams.

Both teams have a lot to prove after disappointing campaigns in 2023, with Melbourne falling to their second consecutive straight-sets exit, and Sydney exiting in the Elimination Final after a Grand Final appearance the year prior.

Will Melbourne's more targeted, cleaner entries from the practice match against Carlton carry over into the real stuff, or will the 'kick the ball into orbit' strategy from years' past and lack of offensive firepower bring them undone once more?

Predicted 23:

FB:
McVee - May - Lever
HB: Rivers - Tomlinson - Bowey
C: Windsor - Viney - Langdon
HF: Billings - Schache - Sparrow
FF: Fritsch - van Rooyen - Chandler
RR: Gawn - Oliver - Petracca
IC: Salem - Laurie - Howes - K Brown
Sub: Woewodin

Notable absentees: Pickett, McAdam, Petty, Hunter, Melksham
Healthy depth: Tholstrup, Jefferson, Fullarton, McDonald, Hore, Verrall, Adams, Sestan, Farris-White
Injured depth: Spargo, Turner, B Brown, Moniz-Wakefield

How ******* drunk did I get that it's the 7th of March already
Is it the earliest the season has started? I remember watching pre-season games in early march a couple of years ago.

Is it the earliest the season has started? I remember watching pre-season games in early march a couple of years ago.
I'm all for it. Cricket season is ******* s**t so get me some orange tsunamis going

Yep, earliest start in VFL/AFL history

Howes is interesting, seems locked into the A team going off the two practice games, thought he was much better last night than the Richmond game but thats not saying much. I remain completely unconvinced hes a better player than Hore but still, im fine with them giving a kid a chance. Hope he improves again against the Swans if he debuts.

By 1 day.
What year was that? Swear I went through every Round 1 since the league commenced, and this year was the only one remotely close to starting this early.

What year was that? Swear I went through every Round 1 since the league commenced, and this year was the only one remotely close to starting this early.
My guess would be 2000, which was started early so it didn't clash with the Olympics

My guess would be 2000, which was started early so it didn't clash with the Olympics

We also played the opening(first) game that year against Richmond.

Also the first year games were played in the Docklands(Colonial at the time) Stadium.

Will be interesting to see how Sydney goes against Brissy tonight with both sides playing full strength teams.

I was originally going to tip Swans but seeing us play well against a (admittedly lacklustre) Blues outfit has me thinking if Brissy give Swans a touch up I reckon we are better value than $2.30.

People have bought into our bad pre-season news perhaps a little too much. We are fielding a decent team despite all of the doom & gloom. No Parker and no Mills hurts them on a small ground where clearances matter.

In be4 Sydney smash us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see how Sydney goes against Brissy tonight with both sides playing full strength teams.

I was originally going to tip Swans but seeing us play well against a (admittedly lacklustre) Blues outfit has me thinking if Brissy give Swans a touch up I reckon we are better value than $2.30.

People have bought into our bad pre-season news perhaps a little too much. We are fielding a decent team despite all of the doom & gloom. No Parker and no Mills hurts them on a small ground where clearances matter.

In be4 Sydney smash us.
To be fair, Sydney is missing Mills, Parker, Warner, Papley and Lloyd – pretty significant absences, so might be a bit tough to get a read on them. Obviously we won't need to contend with Mills and Parker, but the other three are likely to play next week.

To be fair, Sydney is missing Mills, Parker, Warner, Papley and Lloyd – pretty significant absences, so might be a bit tough to get a read on them. Obviously we won't need to contend with Mills and Parker, but the other three are likely to play next week.
Interesting, didn't know Warner, Papley and Lloyd missing tonight but will play against us.

Their side looked pretty strong outside of that.

In regards to all the crap the clubs gone through during the off-season, I heard this quote: ‘smooth seas never made a skilled sailor.’

The flag is ours!

Bloody hell, going early with the thread Scythe.
Not really - we usually open up the preview threads as soon as the previous game ends, so a week before. We're only a week out now, so felt like the right time to staft discussing the game.

Yep, earliest start in VFL/AFL history
Beat 2000 (when they moved it forward to avoid clashing with the Sydney Olympics) by one day. Funnily enough we also kicked off that season on March the 8th with the Tiges

Currently watching the Sydney game and Taylor Adams has walked off the ground shaking his head.. maybe another hammy?

Their midfield stocks is taking a beating with Mills and Parker already missing round 0.

Is Schache a good chance to start? Did he play ok in the practice games?
I'd say No. But goody would look at the three goals from yesterdays game and go "That's our full forward"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back