Review Round 1, 2023: Sydney Swans v Box Hill Hawks, 26 March 2023, 10.05am AEDT @ Tramway Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by BH in a entertaining affair. Shout out to Callum Porter & Callum Brown who both had really good games.

DGB had a good game. Thought he balanced defending and peeling off well.
I loved both O’Sullivan (kicked 2.2) and Bennetts. Both pressuring well. Some refinement needed but incredible signs.
I’m a massive fan of BMac. Runs defensively. When his production goes up, I reckon he’ll be a star.
Brocky looks a million bucks with ball in hand, could do more without it. Kicked 3.2.
Long, Stephens, Hustwaite all good games. The former was a level above.
Seamus getting a lot of the ball which is good to see. Very awkward but mostly effective kicking action.
Ramma was just OK until the last quarter where he had some very key moments with marks/clearances. Passes the eye test with flying colours, stat sheet not so kind.
Weddle gets to the right positions and does the right things but there were multiple times he was stationary when he could have been running and linking. When he does he'll be getting massive numbers IMO.
Scrimshaw takes the piss at this level. Don't think he missed a kick. Still looks rather lackadaisical but I think that's just how he plays.

Great win by BH in a entertaining affair. Shout out to Callum Porter & Callum Brown who both had really good games.

DGB had a good game. Thought he balanced defending and peeling off well.
I loved both O’Sullivan (kicked 2.2) and Bennetts. Both pressuring well. Some refinement needed but incredible signs.
I’m a massive fan of BMac. Runs defensively. When his production goes up, I reckon he’ll be a star.
Brocky looks a million bucks with ball in hand, could do more without it. Kicked 3.2.
Long, Stephens, Hustwaite all good games. The former was a level above.
Seamus getting a lot of the ball which is good to see. Very awkward but mostly effective kicking action.
Ramma was just OK until the last quarter where he had some very key moments with marks/clearances. Passes the eye test with flying colours, stat sheet not so kind.
Weddle gets to the right positions and does the right things but there were multiple times he was stationary when he could have been running and linking. When he does he'll be getting massive numbers IMO.
Scrimshaw takes the piss at this level. Don't think he missed a kick. Still looks rather lackadaisical but I think that's just how he plays.
I thought MacDonald could become a future winger watching his under age year, has speed and composer,

Seamus was very good using the footy from the back half, but I also thought he did quite well on his man too. Used his body well and spoiled quite a few times.

Bennetts might take a little while, but he’s got smarts and a bit of X factor.

Really liked Brockman’s defensive side, and good to see him get on the scoreboard.

Ramma did quite a few good things in traffic. Moved so well for a guy his size, but he tends to collapse as soon as a hand gets put on him, so I’d like to see him get better at keeping his feet and breaking/standing in tackles.

Interesting strategy from the Hawks to limit Scrimshaw and Morrison to half a game each (in the same position so as not to disrupt BoxHill) presumably as an emergency for the sub in the AFL game (Butler) and for Butler to go into the 22 if one of the current 22 cannot play.

If either Scrim or Morrison are needed in the AFL team as the sub, then they will likely only be activated in the second half and should be able to run out the game.

Last edited:
Seamus is realy looking good does defend well and provide run when we have the ball
Bmac looking good in this space too, although still a bit green. He’s a better defender than I thought he might be at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see this result after the horrific showing in the seniors. Thanks for all the great updates/insights.
very uplifting to read all this after watching the AFL Hawks today I was quite depressed. I think we all know who has to make way for Ramma. Scrimshaw and Brockman

Half Back?
He plays Back Pocket… Hardwick‘s position… Mitchell does not have Hardwick‘s penetrating kick, explosive jump, or years of footy nous, instead Mitchell prefers to hit-up the short pass and run past for the give-and-go.

I’d think he fits in the Hawks 22 in place of Bramble...

Really hoping he makes it. Is super talented but crueled by injuries.

His speed is his weapon but he also knows how to link up to gain field position. SYL noted his ability to defend… (I was not watching his position well enough to make a comment on his defensive game) but if he can lock down a small fwd and run off to create in the AFL then he will do OK. I don’t see him lighting up the AFL. But a solid career is there if he can lock down on someone like Bobby Hill while running off him to create for the Hawks. And in my uneducated point-of-view he can certainly do that.

Last edited:
I cant believe he is not getting a game at the AFL Hawks when their backline is struggling
Scrim’s quality was on show. Whatever has kept him out of the 1sts, on todays performance, will not keep him out for long.

Long? Did someone mention Long? 😜 Ned Long was the everywhere-man today. He now uses his running power and his size to affect every contest. Dare I say it, “he is starting to believe”.
He was in the middle and affecting the clearance, and then in the backline helping out. Next he was using his size on the wing to spike the ball out of a players hands and over the boundary line, and then was alone in the fwd line (fluffed both chances)

Ned Long is building a very good case to play for Hawthorn.

Last edited:
One thing from some BigFooty posters on the Box Hill game that annoyed me greatly was the lack of respect given to Box Hill listed players. Callum Porter was arguably best-on-ground for the Hawks yet few posters acknowledged that he was even playing (SYL, VandoHawk, moningie being notable exceptions).

Please remember this is NOT a Hawthorn reserves team. Box Hill are a partner with Hawthorn and Hawthorn rely on having quality VFL players to play with Box Hill as both a pathway to Hawthorn, to help our kids at Hawthorn develop, but mostly to win the VFL premiership.

Not acknowledging our Box Hill players is wrong and highly counter-productive for both the Box Hill football club and the Hawthorn Football Club.

let’s see if we get better at this.

Last edited:
Long? Did someone mention Long? 😜 Ned Long was the everywhere-man today. He now uses his running power and his size to affect every contest. Dare I say it, “he is starting to believe”.
He was in the middle and affecting the clearance, and then in the backline helping out. Next he was using his size on the wing to spike the ball out of a players hands and over the boundary line, and then was alone in the fwd line (fluffed both chances)

I only watched the first half but loved his physicality and running power, hope he comes in soon and gives us some depth in midfield as I feel that's something we lack

Scrim’s quality was on show. Whatever has kept him out of the 1sts, on todays performance, will not keep him out for long.

I watched the first 3/4's of the game today, I think when Long gets into the 1's he won't be leaving it again. The man is a bull.

Write up for BH website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back