Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but Spencer as number 1 ruck? Yes he has mongrel and height but that is it. Can't handball and his kicking is, well, the worst in the comp bar none - he battles TMac for that dubious honour.

Seems like an awesome bloke and fun to be around, but surely not a number 1 ruckman in an AFL side. Him being the only fit option between Gawn, the Russian and Fitz (in that order) would be the only way he is our number 1. At least that's what I hope.

Sorry but Spencer as number 1 ruck? Yes he has mongrel and height but that is it. Can't handball and his kicking is, well, the worst in the comp bar none - he battles TMac for that dubious honour.

Seems like an awesome bloke and fun to be around, but surely not a number 1 ruckman in an AFL side. Him being the only fit option between Gawn, the Russian and Fitz (in that order) would be the only way he is our number 1. At least that's what I hope.

I'd have him ahead of Fitz at this point but I'm also hoping Fitz will step up a level at some point in the next year or 2.

I don't reckon Spencer is a bad 3rd ruckman to be honest. Problem will be if Jamar retires and we need to play him every week.

I'd have him ahead of Fitz at this point but I'm also hoping Fitz will step up a level at some point in the next year or 2.

I don't reckon Spencer is a bad 3rd ruckman to be honest. Problem will be if Jamar retires and we need to play him every week.
Agree with this. Fitz is definitely a forward first in my book, with the ability to pinch hit in the ruck. If we were to go in to a game expecting Fitz to do more than 50% of the ruck work i'd be seriously worried about our centre clearances and stoppages.

Personally, and this is probably against the grain a little bit, I still think Jamar has a year left as the #1 choice if fully fit. I'm hoping Gawn will push his claims throughout the season but until i see a consistent four quarter effort from him I don't think he walks in to the side at the expense of the big Russian.

My first choice combo is Jamar/Gawn.
If one of them is not available then Fitz takes the #2 spot and the other plays a bigger role in the middle. (Depending on who we play we could maybe get away with Pedo for more balance)
If both are unavailable Spencer takes on the #1 gig with Fitz remaining in the #2 spot.

I completely agree with you, but it's a queer idea that Spencer isn't a bad bloke to have on the list as long as we don't play him. If he doesn't take a big step forward this year, I'd hope we look at a fringe / recycled ruck from another club as I really don't like the idea of him being #2 behind Gawn when Jamar pulls the pin.

GARLAND FROST JETTA
LUMUMBA T.MCDONALD GRIMES
VINCE CROSS WATTS
PETRACCA HOGAN GARLETT
JKH DAWES SALEM
JAMAR N.JONES TYSON

BRAYSHAW VINEY HOWE DUNN

Round 1

MFC:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Lumumba T.McDonald Toumpas
C: Viney Vince Petracca
HF: Watts Hogan Salem
FF: Kent Gawn Garlett
RUC: Jamar N.Jones Tyson

INT: Howe Cross Grimes
SUB: Brayshaw

EMERG: JKH Riley Newton

Casey:

FB: Terlich Frost Rutherford (C)
HB: Stretch Pedersen O.McDonald
C: Michie Panozza (C) McKenzie
HF: M.Jones Fitzpatrick Hunt
FF: JKH King Bail
RUC: Spencer Harmes Newton

INT: Riley Neal-Bullen Morris (C) Best (C) Petropoulos (C) RD#1 RD#2

Dawes suspended in Round 1 and Trengove likely LTI for most if not all of the season.

MFC: Best 22 (not rnd 1)

HB: Lumumba T.McDonald Grimes
C: Vince Jones Brayshaw
HF: Howe Hogan Petracca
FF: Kent Dawes Garlett
RUC: Jamar Tyson Viney

INT: Gawn Cross Newton
SUB: JKH

EMER: Frost Pedersen Toumpas

Best of all: for the first time in a long time there's no duds in this team.

I know the above won't be the team, but it's getting a lot harder to make the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HB: Lumumba T McDonald Grimes
C: Vince Newton Pertracca
HF: Pedo Bail Watts
FF: Howe Hogan Garlett

RUC: Jamar N Jones Tyson

INTC: Gawn Viney Cross
SUB: Riley

EMG: Spencer JKH McKenzie

MFC DEBUT: Newton Pertracca Hogan Garlett

Dawes of course is suspended, the fool!

Don't expect any draftees except for the ready made Pertracca to debut in round 1, but Roos may take a development attitude with him too though.

Back line is solid so Howe should go back up forward (at least i hope that) Hogan, Howe & Garlett reminds me of Neitz, Robbo & Davey

For some reason i have faith in Bail or at least Roos picking him, may be dropped for Dawes in round 2. Grimes may be dropped also in round 2

Jamar Gawn & Pedo to interchange with each other around the ruck and forward line

Don't expect any draftees except for the ready made Pertracca to debut in round 1

I don't agree.

Notwithstanding Roos' well-known reluctance to expose players before they're ready we need an injection of talent and some of these players will deserve their selection sooner rather than later. Don't forget Brayshaw plays all of next year as a 19 year old. Roos debuted Hannebery while he was still at Xavier College in year 12. And JKH played round 1 last year.

Just like O'Meara, Brad Crouch, Joel Selwood, Ollie Wines, and Dustin Martin, Petracca and Brayshaw will be ready and regular senior players next year.

I could live with that

Go back two years ago and we were struggling to come up with a best 22, now it's difficult to come up with a best 22! The MFC bus wheels are changing.

5 years time the midfield will be ridiculous.

Jones, Tyson, Viney, Salem, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove?

Thats not including Toumpas as i think he is a long way off it.

That is a very very good midfield. Hogan will be licking his lips

I don't agree.

Notwithstanding Roos' well-known reluctance to expose players before they're ready we need an injection of talent and some of these players will deserve their selection sooner rather than later. Don't forget Brayshaw plays all of next year as a 19 year old. Roos debuted Hannebery while he was still at Xavier College in year 12. And JKH played round 1 last year.

Just like O'Meara, Brad Crouch, Joel Selwood, Ollie Wines, and Dustin Martin, Petracca and Brayshaw will be ready and regular senior players next year.

Yeah, this is correct, Roos aversion to playing kids is only for those who aren't ready so all of Petracca, Brayshaw and Hogan will play regular football next year. With an extra pre-season of work under their belt, Toumpas, Salem and JKH will be better prepared for regular senior football too.

5 years time the midfield will be ridiculous.

Jones, Tyson, Viney, Salem, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove?

Thats not including Toumpas as i think he is a long way off it.

That is a very very good midfield. Hogan will be licking his lips
Trengove is a long way off too and who really knows with Brayshaw and Petracca?

Sure these players seem exciting, but we were saying the exact same thing 5 years ago weren't we? How old will Jones be in 5 years? 30? 31? Tyson and Viney I'm pretty sure will be guns by then but I think we still need to not only not stuff up the development of all of Petracca, Brayshaw and Salem, but also recruit other proven mids along the way to ensure a ridiculously good midfield group in 5 years. So much can go wrong between now and then, as we all know.

Not to mention Hogan, he hasn't even been able to get his body right for 1 game yet.

Not trying to be a downer, I'm excited too, but just trying to introduce some reality into proceedings and not do what we do best and heap pressure and expectation on teenagers..

Trengove is a long way off too and who really knows with Brayshaw and Petracca?

Sure these players seem exciting, but we were saying the exact same thing 5 years ago weren't we? How old will Jones be in 5 years? 30? 31? Tyson and Viney I'm pretty sure will be guns by then but I think we still need to not only not stuff up the development of all of Petracca, Brayshaw and Salem, but also recruit other proven mids along the way to ensure a ridiculously good midfield group in 5 years. So much can go wrong between now and then, as we all know.

Not to mention Hogan, he hasn't even been able to get his body right for 1 game yet.

Not trying to be a downer, I'm excited too, but just trying to introduce some reality into proceedings and not do what we do best and heap pressure and expectation on teenagers..

If you cant be optimistic now you never will be. Finally the future looks bright. Enjoy it

FB: Grimes Dunn Garland
HB: Lumumba T.McDonald Howe
C: Vince Viney Cross
HF: Watts Hogan Petracca
FF: JKH Dawes Garlett
RUC: Jamar Tyson Viney
INT: Gawn Salem Newton
SUB: Brayshaw
EMER: Toumpas, Kent and Jetta

My best 22 and emergencies. Damn hard to pick a side now. I would have Fitzpatrick or Pedo for Dawes in round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back