Game Day Round 1 vs. Sydney, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 15/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gates actually don’t open till 6 pm at the MCG tomorrow. They had Stewart Fox from the G on SEN this morning and it was obvious that the time of the unfurling would have to change.

Last edited:
This issue about the flag ceremony at 6.15 - I don’t think the actual flag or pennant or whatever it is will be unfurled at that exact time. Rather, that is when the ceremony starts and knowing us, we’ll drag it out for as long as possible with a whole lot of pomp and fluff.

There’s a horde of people - VIPS, family, fans, assorted others - who will be out there, marching about, and doing something (no idea what) before we even see the flag. So calm down everyone. Since when did Collingwood allow ourselves to be relegated to a 6.15 time-slot?

This issue about the flag ceremony at 6.15 - I don’t think the actual flag or pennant or whatever it is will be unfurled at that exact time. Rather, that is when the ceremony starts and knowing us, we’ll drag it out for as long as possible with a whole lot of pomp and fluff.

There’s a horde of people - VIPS, family, fans, assorted others - who will be out there, marching about, and doing something (no idea what) before we even see the flag. So calm down everyone. Since when did Collingwood allow ourselves to be relegated to a 6.15 time-slot?
I’ve heard a whisper we are indeed dragging it out and all 16 pennants will be displayed.

We shall see.

I’ve heard a whisper we are indeed dragging it out and all 16 pennants will be displayed.

We shall see.

And if we dedicate, say, two minutes to each of 15 pennants before we get to no. 16, that adds 30 minutes onto the 6.15 start.

I’m half joking, but seriously, we will find a way to drag it out. We might even outdo what Eddie would have done.

This is sounding like a monumental f up. Changing the time is not that simple. There are heaps of old codgers who are to be part of the "ceremony" who have all been given relatively strict instructions on timing, etc. Moving them all around will be a task.
I suppose that's the likely outcome when you're trying to keep everybody happy. Can't win no matter what you do.

As long as it doesn't affect the players, we win the game & the flag will be flying during the match..that's all I care about.

I don't want to see Dean dropped but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Howe for Dean and Macrae replacing Noble as sub. That's about all I'd be doing.

As tempting as it would be to have the likes of Mccreery/Markov as sub to inject pace when required, we're better off having both in the team all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Email from the club:

Collingwood will unfurl the 2023 Premiership Flag on Friday night ahead of the side’s Round One match at the MCG.

Gates open at 5.30pm with the Club encouraging all Members and supporters to get to the G’ early. The match commences at an earlier-than-usual time of 7.40pm.

From 3pm, the Club will be open for the Magpie Army with the March to the G’ activation to include a BBQ, food trucks, face painting, and giveaways. The Club’s Museum, café, and lounge will also be open to the public.

The March to the G’, led by past player Paul Licuria, will depart the AIA Vitality Centre at 5.10pm.

At the G’, the Welcome to Country will be held at 6.16pm with the Premiership Flag Unfurling ceremony to commence at 6.24pm.

Collingwood’s 2024 side will enter the arena at 6.55pm for their first warm-up, with team entry at 7.29pm and the first bounce scheduled for 7.40pm.

KEY TIMINGS

3:00pm - Fan activation at AIA Vitality Centre
5:10pm - March to the G departs for Gate 1 at the MCG
5:30pm - MCG Gates open to the public
6:16pm - Welcome to Country by Uncle Colin Hunter
6:24pm - Flag Unfurling Ceremony commences
6:34pm - Flag Unfurling Ceremony concludes
6:50pm - Arena clear – Collingwood team warm up
7:29pm - Collingwood team entry
7:40pm - First Bounce – Round 1 Collingwood v Sydney Swans

Email from the club:

Collingwood will unfurl the 2023 Premiership Flag on Friday night ahead of the side’s Round One match at the MCG.

Gates open at 5.30pm with the Club encouraging all Members and supporters to get to the G’ early. The match commences at an earlier-than-usual time of 7.40pm.

From 3pm, the Club will be open for the Magpie Army with the March to the G’ activation to include a BBQ, food trucks, face painting, and giveaways. The Club’s Museum, café, and lounge will also be open to the public.

The March to the G’, led by past player Paul Licuria, will depart the AIA Vitality Centre at 5.10pm.

At the G’, the Welcome to Country will be held at 6.16pm with the Premiership Flag Unfurling ceremony to commence at 6.24pm.

Collingwood’s 2024 side will enter the arena at 6.55pm for their first warm-up, with team entry at 7.29pm and the first bounce scheduled for 7.40pm.

KEY TIMINGS

The ceremony gets 10 minutes, Uncle Colin gets 8!

My view is if the unfurling of the flag needs to be earlier than the norm so that we can have the ceremony without rushing and keep the pregame as normal as possible for the players and coaches to best prepare for the game in front of them then we as fans should get behind them on that.

Unfurling the flag is one thing and great fantastic . It seems we haven't had enough time to enjoy our success the new season is already upon us.
We got smashed last week by a determined GWS who were seething at being knocked out at a chance at Glory. Suffer you orange peanuts.
But we were outplayed last week. This week the Swans another danger game they have a weakness in their midfield no mills parker or Taylor Adams so we should get through this game and win not by much though
Pies by 10 points.
Am hearing Brody Grundy is taking a big chunk of Sydney's salary cap 1.2 million plus another 700 k for Taylor Adams,
i think the Swans were thinking of targeting Cam Zurhah from North this year but that wont happen now and they may need to let a few players go at seasons end due to their over inflated salary cap.

Email from the club:

KEY TIMINGS

A whole 8 minutes lol

I don't want to see Dean dropped but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Howe for Dean and Macrae replacing Noble as sub. That's about all I'd be doing.

As tempting as it would be to have the likes of Mccreery/Markov as sub to inject pace when required, we're better off having both in the team all night.

I reckon Howe will sit out another week. Regardless I’d be keeping Dean in the 22 if possible, we were lacking a third tall defender last week so maybe even consider Frampton for extra height.

Agree Macrae to replace Noble but perhaps in the 22 with mccrreery sub.

None of this is important though and the selectors will be way to busy negotiating the flag unfurling time to worry about trivial details like our team lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back