Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Round 10 West Coast vs Hawthorn
Sunday, May 21st, UTas Stadium.

West Coast and Hawthorn have shared one of the titanic rivalries of the AFL era. From the first final played outside Victoria (Hawthorn 124, West Coast 101) to the 1991 grand final (Hawthorn 139, West Coast 86), to the 2015… Look, * Hawthorn, is what I'm trying to say.

But in 2023, the days of us playing Mothra to their poo-and-wee-coloured Godzilla are a distant memory. Now it's 18th meets 17th in Tasmania in a match that promises to be so craptacular the state will probably hand back its AFL licence and lobby for an NRL team. The most exciting thing is the loser gets to draft Harley Reid, unless he watches the game, quits footy in disgust and starts smoking weed and learning guitar instead. Yep, this match is going to be so bad that… Ugh. Much like this season, let's just get this over with!

Screenshot 2023-05-20 4.03.46 PM.png

Eagles forwards versus Hawthorn defenders

For all the heroics of Oscar Allen and the workmanlike efforts of Jake Waterman, it hasn’t been a great year for our crippled forward line. Unfortunately, Jack Darling has also joined the injury list after playing through a broken arm against Gold Coast in a performance as heroic as it was daft and pointless.

In better news, Noah Long returns to the side this week. A shining light in 2023 with his clean skills and astute decision-making, drafting Long at pick 58 was like meeting your soulmate at Metros at 4 am after several footy teams had already passed on her. Not to put too much pressure on the kid, but it’s fair to say he’s a perfect hybrid of Mark LeCras and Lachie Neale set to dominate the league for years to come.

Although generally not very good, Hawthorn’s backline does have the potential to hurt teams on the counterattack through the dash of Jarman Impey and Will Day. They’ve also got James Sicily, intercept marking maestro and Tasmania’s worst tourism ambassador since that escaped convict who ate people. If our delivery and forward pressure don’t improve, all those guys might have a much less miserable afternoon than they usually do.

Hawks forwards versus Eagles defenders

In a rare treat for fans of horrible football, Sunday offers a showdown between the league’s leakiest defence and its most ineffectual attack. Despite the cricket scores they’re conceding, it’s been tricky to assess the Eagles' backline this year. They’ve looked impressively hapless at times, but there’s only so much you can do when midfielders under no pressure feed lace-out passes to your opponent all day.

Fortunately, Hawthorn has nothing even vaguely resembling Charlie Curnow to traumatise poor Josh Rotham any further. After offloading Jack Gunston, their forward line is a bunch of kids and Luke Breust for some reason, possibly as a source of protein for them in the bleak Melbourne winter. Dylan Moore looks the best of their young guys as a handy small forward with midfield potential.

The Midfields

West Coast and Hawthorn have embarked on very different styles of rebuild, with the Hawks ruthlessly culling their list and the Eagles backing in their veterans for one last effort. If the two strategies were movies, they'd be Logan's Run versus The Bucket List, and you'd rather screw around on your phone than sit through either of them.

With Naitanui, Yeo, and Shuey all injured, it’s been left to Tim Kelly to carry a young midfield that’s being bullied so badly HR would get involved in any other workplace. 2023 is probably the last chance for guys like O’Neill and Foley to show they belong at AFL level. If they don’t step up soon, they’ll face the same fate as Greg Clark, who somehow managed to get dropped this week. On the positive side, tackling machine Reuben Ginbey has been everything you could ask for in a teenage midfielder. Bailey Williams has battled hard in the ruck, and we’ve still got Elijah Hewett waiting in the wings to bring a much-needed injection of FIGJAM.

Hawthorn boasts a midfield full of promising kids like Cam McKenzie and Jai Newcombe alongside the experience of Amon and Worpel, and Sam Mitchell has them playing an aggressive brand of footy based on attacking through the corridor. It might win them games someday, but fortunately for us, they’re still godawful at it for now.

The Wash Up

Look, we all know it's been a long and bleak winter, but… Hang on, it's still autumn? Oh. Oh s**t.

Whatever happens, I’m so sorry you have to see this, Harley.

Okay, it's a half-arsed last minute effort that's remorselessly bleak but we have a match preview, damn it!
homer simpson GIF

Gonna be a weird watch.

Do we want to win?

I think I'd like to see a win even if it costs a spot on the ladder.

But honestly I can't see us getting within 5 goals of Hawthorn.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only way we win is if Hawthorn just chip it around refusing to score lol.
soccer-simpsons.gif

I wrote part of a preview for our last game vs Hawthorn in Tasmania, but it was cancelled due to Covid and was full of dated Game of Thrones references.

Here it is, with the references now even more dated.

Title: AFL Round 6 - Winter is coming

This week we are jetting off to sunny... checks notes ...Launceston in Northern Tasmania, or the Real North as the locals call it. Winter may be a couple of months away on the mainland, but it's been going for about 4 years down here and it's showing no signs of slowing down. Some might find these conditions harsh and unforgiving, but the locals have taken it all in their stride.

Frank.jpg
Launceston resident Frank Walker enjoys making patterns with recycled materials.

So where the hell is Launceston anyway I hear you ask? A quick google provided this helpful and informative map:

blank_map_of_Tasmania.png

So here we are on the other side of the Narrow Sea, having to play in conditions that can only be described as Un-Perth-Like. It's going to be cold, it's going to be windy, and freezing to death is a strong possibility if you don't keep moving.

winter_is_coming.gif
[I]Jack Petruccelle considers pretending to strain something during the warm-up.[/I]

Key Match-ups

Willie Rioli (absent) vs Cyril Rioli (also absent)

These two have applied a scorched earth policy to ensure not having to play in this game, with Cyril retiring and Willie taking the piss with a urine sample in full view of ASADA. Both will be spending this weekend somewhere warm where the dead are unlikely to rise up and attempt to murder the living.

Aaand that's as far as I got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty to be excited about for tomorrow.

• Edwards, Bazzo and Hough down back.
  • Ginbey & Chesser in the midfield.
  • Williams & Jamieson in the ruck.
  • Long back in the forward line.
  • We're unlikely to get butchered and so we may see something closer to our best brand again.
  • If we win it'll feel good, if we don't we're a strong chance to get our preferred MSD pick in 10 days time (who I suspect is Ryan Maric).
The frustrating thing about this year as much as anything has not being able to see the right kids in the side getting exposure. Every time these kids play and get +1 games experience the better off we will be in 24/25.

If we manage to get up with the kids playing will be so wrapped.
Nothing like that winning feeling, will do them the world of good.
If we don't win then at least they've got more game time together.

Actually excited for this one. That said I don't believe we will see anything remotely resembling a quality game but we are in with a chance to win and we ha E some exciting,albeit underdone, young talent to watch run around again. Long. Hess, Hewitt, Bazzo etc.

WCE by 8 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back